Nexus 5 Gets Bluetooth Cert; Also Images Reveal ‘Tap & Pay’ and New Location Settings

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Android_44_Leak_TapPay.jpg

Here's a double tap of Nexus 5 news this morning. First up, the new Nexus 5 just passed through its Bluetooth SIG certification process according to the folks at TechCrunch. This seems to suggest the October 15th reveal date of the device may actually be accurate (or at least it is likely coming next week). We have heard rumors for weeks of a mid-October launch, and the Bluetooth SIG is usually one of the final pieces of the puzzle just before a device is announced.

Android_44_Leak_Location_Requests.jpg

That's not all we have for you. As you can see in the pics above, we have what are supposedly screenshots of Android 4.4 KitKat running on the Nexus 5. This newest version of Android is more than likely going to launch at the same time as the LG-made Nexus 5 Google phone. These pics include some intriguing new details about the next iteration of Android. One new feature is called "Tap & Pay." It's pretty obvious that this will be some type of built-in automatic payment system for Android. Perhaps we will see the Google Wallet get transformed into an Android Wallet instead, just as Google plans to do with GoogleTV.

That's not the only change the pics reveal for the next version of Android. It appears that the Location Services Settings will be revamped. In the current Android versions we have only two options in “Location sources.” These are, GPS Satellites and Wi-Fi & mobile network location; however, these are now gone and replaced with something new: High accuracy – GPS, Wi-Fi, and mobile network, Battery saving – Wi-Fi and mobile networks, and Device sensors only – GPS. It appears there is also another new feature in this area. It is an option for Recent Location Requests. It's probable this is a new security feature which will share what apps are requesting locations. Nifty!

Source: TalkAndroid

MissionImprobable

Silver Member
Reaction score
I really hate the design of the Nexus phones. They never please my eye. VZ won't be getting it so it doesn't matter much, but their refusal to move away from that variant seems a little closed-minded.

Briankbl

Reaction score
Verizon is the only carrier I have in my area. Sick of Verizon not getting Nexus phones...

Sent from my HTC Droid DNA! now Free