Nexus 4 in Google Play Store 'Coming Soon'; 8GB $299 Unlocked & 16GB $349 Unlocked

Stormy Knight

Reaction score
Pure and simple

This is a junk phone not worthy of being labeled "Nexus". Mediocre on board storage. No way to increase storage via SD slot. No 4G LTE. I don't buy LG's reasoning for it. The LTE networks aren't good or mature enough so they'll wait until next year? Really?

I wouldn't give you $50 for this waste of time device.

tpence2177

Reaction score
Re: Nexus 4 in gle Play Store 'Coming Soon'; 8GB $299 Unlocked & 16GB $349 Unlocked

I think it still has a lot to do with google drive still. if they come out with a 32 or 64gb version by next year I may be heading to straight talk! Lol

Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk 2

geoff5093

Reaction score
The no MicroSD slot was a given, as no recent Nexus device has had one. The killer for me though is no 32GB option, and no LTE!!

HNettles

Reaction score
A question for the more technically savvy out there. I was under the impression that all of the new chipsets were integrating the LTE radio. Was I mistaken?

geoff5093

Reaction score
A question for the more technically savvy out there. I was under the impression that all of the new chipsets were integrating the LTE radio. Was I mistaken?
I doubt it would contain radios for all the different LTE frequencies in the U.S. and abroad, not to mention the phone would need to have different antennas for each carriers version of LTE.

azules9780

Reaction score
I'm close to jumping on this. I've never had T-Mobile but the price off contract is enough to make me move. As for no LTE, 4g used to be great on Verizon and now that everyone and their mom is on it, it has slowed way down. So essentially, we spend $230 a month for what? Crappy service? Because that used to be a selling point for Verizon, that and great customer service. Both of which suck ass now! I dunno, I'll have to think about it for sure.

The Robot Cow

Reaction score
Bye bye Verizon!!! To be honest 4g lte on my gnex hasn't been the super fast as I thought it would be, we'll actually it's super fast at eating my battery lol. The speed is never consistent for me. Not having Lte is no problem for me,hspa+ is actually not that bad and I'll probably get the same speed in my area and it won't be such a strain on my battery life.

I'm thinking of going over to AT&T since they seem to be the best here, but T-mobiles $50 unlimited plan seems pretty damn good too. I still have a couple months to get all the info I need before I switch.

tpence2177

Reaction score
Re: Nexus 4 in Google Play Store ' Soon'; 8GB $299 Unlocked & 16GB $349 Unlocked

I'm close to jumping on this. I've never had T-Mobile but the price off contract is enough to make me move. As for no LTE, 4g used to be great on Verizon and now that everyone and their mom is on it, it has slowed way down. So essentially, we spend $230 a month for what? Crappy service? Because that used to be a selling point for Verizon, that and great customer service. Both of which suck ass now! I dunno, I'll have to think about it for sure.

The same happened with 3g on verizon. It was fast at first but then when everyone got on it, it slowed way down. Now that my city has 4g its getting better but there were times when I would get 100k a second. Im sure the 4g will slow down when everyone starts using it so im just gonna use wifi and hspa if t mobile or att has it around here if not. Straight talk still uses t mobile right?

Tillmorn

Reaction score
I have a feeling that Google is going to end up doing the same thing they did with the Nexus 7: Eventually add a 32GB option and phase out the 8. Could be that they were too late into the production cycle of the Nexus 4 to up the storage capacity when they started upping the Nexus 7 storage. I am somewhat surprised though given that most carriers are switching over to crappy data plans. Perhaps that's why they're staying away from LTE and keeping a low price? Might not be a bad way to slight Verizon and AT&T.

HNettles

Reaction score
The same happened with 3g on verizon. It was fast at first but then when everyone got on it, it slowed way down. Now that my city has 4g its getting better but there were times when I would get 100k a second. Im sure the 4g will slow down when everyone starts using it so im just gonna use wifi and hspa if t mobile or att has it around here if not. Straight talk still uses t mobile right?

Straight talk uses T-Mobile, AT&T, Sprint, and Verizon. Do a google search for "iphone straight talk", and you will find many articles about how to setup an iPhone 4 or 4s on Straight Talk. You just buy an unlocked AT&T iPhone off Craigslist or Ebay, then pay $15 for a Straight Talk sim card, pay $45 for your first month, and you're in business.

If you go to Walmart and look at their assortment of Straight Talk phones, my understanding is that any models which end with "C" are actually on the Verizon network. But I've also read that there is no way other than buying one of those to get on Straight Talk and use the Verizon network. And no, Straight Talk does not have any phones that people here would actually want.

tpence2177

Reaction score
Re: Nexus 4 in Google Poming Soon'; 8GB $299 Unlocked & 16GB $349 Unlocked

Straight talk uses T-Mobile, AT&T, Sprint, and Verizon. Do a google search for "iphone straight talk", and you will find many articles about how to setup an iPhone 4 or 4s on Straight Talk. You just buy an unlocked AT&T iPhone off Craigslist or Ebay, then pay $15 for a Straight Talk sim card, pay $45 for your first month, and you're in business.

If you go to Walmart and look at their assortment of Straight Talk phones, my understanding is that any models which end with "C" are actually on the Verizon network. But I've also read that there is no way other than buying one of those to get on Straight Talk and use the Verizon network. And no, Straight Talk does not have any phones that people here would actually want.

Thanks for the great info! I did see that they have the galaxy s2 now lol but that's pretty much my droid 3 if I remember the specs right.

UltraDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 3, straight stock
This is a junk phone not worthy of being labeled "Nexus". Mediocre on board storage. No way to increase storage via SD slot. No 4G LTE. I don't buy LG's reasoning for it. The LTE networks aren't good or mature enough so they'll wait until next year? Really?

I wouldn't give you $50 for this waste of time device.

I don't think it's a case of the LTE networks not being good enough, I believe it's a case of Google not forgiving Verizon for the wretched MESS they made of the launch of the Galaxy Nexus last year, and deciding to cut them out of this year's model and probably future ones too. Verizon ruined last year's launch of Google's signature product, and as the saying goes "Paybacks are a ....."

tpence2177

Reaction score
Re: Nexus Store 'Coming Soon'; 8GB $299 Unlocked & 16GB $349 Unlocked

I don't think it's a case of the LTE networks not being good enough, I believe it's a case of Google not forgiving Verizon for the wretched MESS they made of the launch of the Galaxy Nexus last year, and deciding to cut them out of this year's model and probably future ones too. Verizon ruined last year's launch of Google's signature product, and as the saying goes "Paybacks are a ....."

Agreed. Even if this phone did have 4g i dont think verizon would have taken it. They hated the last nexus and acted like they were doing the consumer a favor by letting them have it. People would still gripe because the updates took too long. This is the best way to me for google to be able to update the phones with the latest update when they want to do the update. It completely takes the crappy carriers that don't like updates (verizon) control over the pure google experience.

HNettles

Reaction score

I don't know about that. It seems to me that Google could have kept this away from Verizon without having to cut out 4G entirely. This sounds almost like "cutting off your nose to spite your face".

On the other hand, didn't we see a recent report that most people don't even know what 4G is?

But on the other other hand (smile), people who don't know what 4G is would not be the intended customers for an unlocked phone, now would they?