Nexus 4 in Google Play Store 'Coming Soon'; 8GB $299 Unlocked & 16GB $349 Unlocked

Discussion in 'Android News' started by dgstorm, Oct 29, 2012.

1. dgstorm

dgstorm Editor in Chief Staff Member Premium Member

[​IMG]

Regarding the new Nexus 4 phone from Google and LG, we have some pretty awesome news, and some pretty awful news too. First, let's give you a spec breakdown that are spot-on with the bulk of the previous rumors:
    • 4.7-inch True HD IPS Plus display (1,280 x 768)
    • 8 megapixel rear camera
    • Gorilla Glass 2
    • Qualcomm Snapdragon S4 Pro Quad-Core processor
    • 2GB of RAM
    • Android 4.2/Jelly Bean with newest Version of Google Now, turn-by-turn navigation via Google Maps, 3D Maps, Street View and Indoor Maps
    • GSM / HSPA+
    • 8GB and 16GB
    • 2100 mAH Battery
    Besides these beefy specs, the other cool news is the really competitive pricing. On November 13th, you will be able to get the Nexus 4 unlocked for just $299.99 for the 8GB version and $349.99 for the 16GB version. It will be available in the following countries on networks that use the GSM / HSPA+ technology: US, UK, Canada, Germany, France, Spain and Australia.

That segues into the awful news... sadly, you may have noticed that there is no LTE listed for the device. As far as has been shared, there will be no LTE version, and it will only be available on GSM / HSPA+ networks. This means that folks in the U.S. who are on Verizon or Sprint are unlikely to see a version of this device.

Here's the link to the Google Play Store if you want to check out more details on the device: Google PlayStore
  2. johnomaz

johnomaz Well-Known Member

Oh, just noticed...no microSD slot either. I ahve a 16gig Nexus 7. The 16gigs is just not enough.
  3. HNettles

HNettles Member

No LTE? Is this 3G only, no 4G? That would be hard to believe. And what networks is this going to work on? "HSPA+" is AT&T, if I recall correctly?
  4. The Stig 04

The Stig 04 Member

What the F?!

Google just failed miserably! No LTE? SERIOUSLY?!?!?
  5. soulpatch

soulpatch Active Member

so they should call this the Nexus 4S then and Apple should probably sue them for this epic failure...
  6. npro1464

npro1464 Member

The 16 GB thing sucks, no doubt. But I would take this with no dorky carrier branding, direct updates and freedom to change service anytime over bootlocked, bloated phones that you have to share 2 GBs with your family but getting tons of storage and LTE. Also, I bet all the carriers get this phone eventually. I would also bet that this phone comes on Verizon with a locked bootloader, and the dev community will shout "blasphemy!" At $350 for unlocked, how can anyone justify staying on their plans with their respective carrier, especially if they are not on a family plan?

I wonder what will become of the Galaxy Nexus. It's MIA in the Google Play store, guess they don't have any remaining stock left? I was hoping they would "Touchpad" it, selling the rest at an incredible discount.
  7. tgyberg

tgyberg Well-Known Member

Well mine will have 4.2 pretty darn soon! :)
  8. combatmedic870

combatmedic870 Well-Known Member

Yep yep!

There is no way it doesnt have an SD slot....why in the world would they do that?!?!
  9. acousticshade

acousticshade New Member

This is truely a strange device. 8 gig & no LTE? Can you say mid tier phone. Everything else is Tier 1 stuff. That's a heck of a price for a new unlocked phone though. Wonder how well it will sell with the new laws regarding unlocked phones going into effect soon.

Google! What is the method behind this madness?!
  10. DoctorDeDroid

DoctorDeDroid New Member

No LTE? No Surprise....

Why does no LTE suprise anyone? After the wanking around VZW and Sprint did with the 4.1 update and the complete perversion of the "Google Nexus Experience"? It just doesn't surprise me at all.
  11. johnomaz

johnomaz Well-Known Member

ATT has 3 gigs per phone still...my S3 is unlocked and will have 4.2 in no time. I'm on 4.1.2 AOKP and love it. Nexus is great but even my Nexus 7 tablet isn't stock. Its running a ROM and custom kernel. I dropped Verizon and went back to AT&T. I was shocked at how little data I actually use. The "I have unlimited" argument is moot for me.

I don't think carriers will get this phone. I think they will get variants of it with options and not being a Nexus phone, but I think Google has a thing for less hardware specs. It shows the power of their OS. It can run on less hardware. I dunno, I like Nexus devices, but this one doesn't work for me.
  12. MissionImprobable

MissionImprobable Well-Known Member

This. I really had zero expectations of this device coming to VZ or Sprint. I'm quite happy to see a reasonably priced non-contract device. Sony and Google are the only two major players working to keep things affordable and knowing how VZ prices items there's no doubt they would have wanted to set this at a ridiculous level. If only T-Mobile would get some worthwhile coverage.
  13. tpence2177

tpence2177 Member

Re: Nexus 4 in Google Play Store 'Com299 Unlocked & 16GB $349 Unlocked

would this work with straight talk?

Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk 2
  14. tgyberg

tgyberg Well-Known Member

Yep!
  15. tpence2177

tpence2177 Member

n Google Play Store 'Coming Soon'; 8GB $299 Unlocked & 16GB $349 Unlocked

Hmmm. I will still have my droid 3 until at least july of next year. I may get one after that for straight talk. Its still a deal breaker almost that there is only 16gb. Im sure they will have a 32 out by then though lol.

16. Stormy Knight

Stormy Knight Member

Pure and simple

This is a junk phone not worthy of being labeled "Nexus". Mediocre on board storage. No way to increase storage via SD slot. No 4G LTE. I don't buy LG's reasoning for it. The LTE networks aren't good or mature enough so they'll wait until next year? Really?

I wouldn't give you $50 for this waste of time device.
  17. tpence2177

tpence2177 Member

Re: Nexus 4 in gle Play Store 'Coming Soon'; 8GB $299 Unlocked & 16GB $349 Unlocked

I think it still has a lot to do with google drive still. if they come out with a 32 or 64gb version by next year I may be heading to straight talk! Lol

18. geoff5093

geoff5093 New Member

The no MicroSD slot was a given, as no recent Nexus device has had one. The killer for me though is no 32GB option, and no LTE!!
  19. HNettles

HNettles Member

A question for the more technically savvy out there. I was under the impression that all of the new chipsets were integrating the LTE radio. Was I mistaken?
  20. geoff5093

geoff5093 New Member

I doubt it would contain radios for all the different LTE frequencies in the U.S. and abroad, not to mention the phone would need to have different antennas for each carriers version of LTE.
Search tags for this page
buy lg nexus 4 in hosuton
google nexus 4 coming soon on play store
google nexus retailer sugarland
houston shops nexus 4 unlocked

nexus 4 8gb coming soon

nexus 4 buy store boston

nexus 4 coming soon google play

nexus 4 coming soon play store

nexus 4 unlocked usa new jersey
nexus phone unlocked where to buy in nj
where can i buy nexus 4 at boston