Nexus 4 in Google Play Store 'Coming Soon'; 8GB $299 Unlocked & 16GB $349 Unlocked

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
nexus4-google-playstore.png

Regarding the new Nexus 4 phone from Google and LG, we have some pretty awesome news, and some pretty awful news too. First, let's give you a spec breakdown that are spot-on with the bulk of the previous rumors:
  • 4.7-inch True HD IPS Plus display (1,280 x 768)
  • 8 megapixel rear camera
  • Gorilla Glass 2
  • Qualcomm Snapdragon S4 Pro Quad-Core processor
  • 2GB of RAM
  • Android 4.2/Jelly Bean with newest Version of Google Now, turn-by-turn navigation via Google Maps, 3D Maps, Street View and Indoor Maps
  • GSM / HSPA+
  • 8GB and 16GB
  • 2100 mAH Battery
Besides these beefy specs, the other cool news is the really competitive pricing. On November 13th, you will be able to get the Nexus 4 unlocked for just $299.99 for the 8GB version and $349.99 for the 16GB version. It will be available in the following countries on networks that use the GSM / HSPA+ technology: US, UK, Canada, Germany, France, Spain and Australia.

That segues into the awful news... sadly, you may have noticed that there is no LTE listed for the device. As far as has been shared, there will be no LTE version, and it will only be available on GSM / HSPA+ networks. This means that folks in the U.S. who are on Verizon or Sprint are unlikely to see a version of this device.

Here's the link to the Google Play Store if you want to check out more details on the device: Google PlayStore

HNettles

Reaction score
No LTE? Is this 3G only, no 4G? That would be hard to believe. And what networks is this going to work on? "HSPA+" is AT&T, if I recall correctly?

The Stig 04

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P (VZ) & S7 Edge (TMO)
What the F?!

Google just failed miserably! No LTE? SERIOUSLY?!?!?

npro1464

Reaction score
The 16 GB thing sucks, no doubt. But I would take this with no dorky carrier branding, direct updates and freedom to change service anytime over bootlocked, bloated phones that you have to share 2 GBs with your family but getting tons of storage and LTE. Also, I bet all the carriers get this phone eventually. I would also bet that this phone comes on Verizon with a locked bootloader, and the dev community will shout "blasphemy!" At $350 for unlocked, how can anyone justify staying on their plans with their respective carrier, especially if they are not on a family plan?

I wonder what will become of the Galaxy Nexus. It's MIA in the Google Play store, guess they don't have any remaining stock left? I was hoping they would "Touchpad" it, selling the rest at an incredible discount.

acousticshade

Reaction score
This is truely a strange device. 8 gig & no LTE? Can you say mid tier phone. Everything else is Tier 1 stuff. That's a heck of a price for a new unlocked phone though. Wonder how well it will sell with the new laws regarding unlocked phones going into effect soon.

Google! What is the method behind this madness?!

DoctorDeDroid

Reaction score
No LTE? No Surprise....

This is truely a strange device. 8 gig & no LTE? Can you say mid tier phone. Everything else is Tier 1 stuff. That's a heck of a price for a new unlocked phone though. Wonder how well it will sell with the new laws regarding unlocked phones going into effect soon.

Google! What is the method behind this madness?!

Why does no LTE suprise anyone? After the wanking around VZW and Sprint did with the 4.1 update and the complete perversion of the "Google Nexus Experience"? It just doesn't surprise me at all.

johnomaz

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel 2XL
The 16 GB thing sucks, no doubt. But I would take this with no dorky carrier branding, direct updates and freedom to change service anytime over bootlocked, bloated phones that you have to share 2 GBs with your family but getting tons of storage and LTE. Also, I bet all the carriers get this phone eventually. I would also bet that this phone comes on Verizon with a locked bootloader, and the dev community will shout "blasphemy!" At $350 for unlocked, how can anyone justify staying on their plans with their respective carrier, especially if they are not on a family plan?

I wonder what will become of the Galaxy Nexus. It's MIA in the Google Play store, guess they don't have any remaining stock left? I was hoping they would "Touchpad" it, selling the rest at an incredible discount.

ATT has 3 gigs per phone still...my S3 is unlocked and will have 4.2 in no time. I'm on 4.1.2 AOKP and love it. Nexus is great but even my Nexus 7 tablet isn't stock. Its running a ROM and custom kernel. I dropped Verizon and went back to AT&T. I was shocked at how little data I actually use. The "I have unlimited" argument is moot for me.

I don't think carriers will get this phone. I think they will get variants of it with options and not being a Nexus phone, but I think Google has a thing for less hardware specs. It shows the power of their OS. It can run on less hardware. I dunno, I like Nexus devices, but this one doesn't work for me.

MissionImprobable

Silver Member
Reaction score
Why does no LTE suprise anyone? After the wanking around VZW and Sprint did with the 4.1 update and the complete perversion of the "Google Nexus Experience"? It just doesn't surprise me at all.

This. I really had zero expectations of this device coming to VZ or Sprint. I'm quite happy to see a reasonably priced non-contract device. Sony and Google are the only two major players working to keep things affordable and knowing how VZ prices items there's no doubt they would have wanted to set this at a ridiculous level. If only T-Mobile would get some worthwhile coverage.

tpence2177

Reaction score
Re: Nexus 4 in Google Play Store 'Com299 Unlocked & 16GB $349 Unlocked

would this work with straight talk?

Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk 2

tpence2177

Reaction score
n Google Play Store 'Coming Soon'; 8GB $299 Unlocked & 16GB $349 Unlocked

Hmmm. I will still have my droid 3 until at least july of next year. I may get one after that for straight talk. Its still a deal breaker almost that there is only 16gb. Im sure they will have a 32 out by then though lol.

Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk 2