Nexus 4 global/LTE

syndicate0017

Silver Member
Reaction score
I really like having a Nexus, but I've considered a Razor HD Maxx for the battery. I think I can hold out for quite a while with my GNEX though; I am hoping the next batch of Nexus devices (Nexi?) have a VZW version with LTE. I keep thinking that once VZW has voice over LTE and drops their 3G radio's a true Nexus experience might be in our future (I'm hoping at least) where Google pushes updates just like an HSPA+ device.

Now that very well might be possible. Verizon's LTE bands must be open access because of their agreement with the FCC. Once Verizon goes VoLTE, you might see another Nexus. Before then, I'll remain highly skeptical.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Reaction score
And I am one of the people who don't want an LG anything due to prior experiences. However, I was just saying that Verizon is no longer worthy of carrying another Nexus, whether it's made by LG, Samsung, Moto, or any other manufacturer. They ruined it for themselves by not properly supporting the adopter of the SGN and have continually shut them out.

well since we're rooted, it really doesn't matter how poorly verizon supports it. sucks for the non rooted/non phone geek people though. if devs start making a bunch of roms for the DNA, might upgrade to that one lol :D

shaynesgnex

Reaction score
Verizon will likely get another Nexus, just not in the next year it so. And I wouldn't be surprised if it's on the agreement between Google and VZW that if they want it, then it stays a true Nexus. VZW wouldn't balk on that potential $$$!

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
Verizon will likely get another Nexus, just not in the next year it so. And I wouldn't be surprised if it's on the agreement between Google and VZW that if they want it, then it stays a true Nexus. VZW wouldn't balk on that potential $$$!
IMO, the SGN was a "test" for Google on Verizon's network. I've always heard it was more difficult to update due to cdma technology, I don't know if that's true or not, but considering it's the only cdma network that had a Nexus, I guess it's true. Verizon had a huge opportunity to really get support from Google/Android by really pushing the Nexus, but look how that turned out. Not one word before launch and delayed multiple times. Even after launch there was like 1 commercial for it compared to the handful of commercials promoting their Droid lineup.

I honestly don't know if they'll get another Nexus, no one does. All we know is they don't have the Nexus 4 and no word of a cdma version coming (at least I haven't heard anything). Maybe it's their choice of cdma that's holding them back. Maybe it's the way they handled the SGN. Who really knows? As badly as the SGN is supported by the Big Red we all know one thing, money talks. And if Verizon brings the money to Google to get another Nexus device, I doubt Google would turn that opportunity down. Verizon could've had it good by now if they hadn't botched the SGN so badly. First to get the device and they royally screwed it up for themselves.

Also I read recently that Google and DirectTV (I think it was them) are planning on a mobile network? If that's so, then maybe the Nexus line becomes an exclusive thing?

Last edited:

shaynesgnex

Reaction score
Honestly I'm not terribly bummed that VZW didn't get the Nexus 4. I've never had anything but horrible results from LG devices. And if Nexus does become exclusive, I'll be trying my best to follow. That said I've seen multiple things saying cdma is harder to update. Especially here lately regarding reasons they are behind on updates. Hopefully they catch up and with this phone still having a seemingly long life can redeem themselves into another in the near future.

bsweetness

Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2 XL
IMO, the SGN was a "test" for Google on Verizon's network. I've always heard it was more difficult to update due to cdma technology, I don't know if that's true or not, but considering it's the only cdma network that had a Nexus, I guess it's true. Verizon had a huge opportunity to really get support from Google/Android by really pushing the Nexus, but look how that turned out. Not one word before launch and delayed multiple times. Even after launch there was like 1 commercial for it compared to the handful of commercials promoting their Droid lineup.

I honestly don't know if they'll get another Nexus, no one does. All we know is they don't have the Nexus 4 and no word of a cdma version coming (at least I haven't heard anything). Maybe it's their choice of cdma that's holding them back. Maybe it's the way they handled the SGN. Who really knows? As badly as the SGN is supported by the Big Red we all know one thing, money talks. And if Verizon brings the money to Google to get another Nexus device, I doubt Google would turn that opportunity down. Verizon could've had it good by now if they hadn't botched the SGN so badly. First to get the device and they royally screwed it up for themselves.

Also I read recently that Google and DirectTV (I think it was them) are planning on a mobile network? If that's so, then maybe the Nexus line becomes an exclusive thing?

Sprint had both the Nexus S and the Galaxy Nexus, and it's a CDMA network.

CDMA phones do require some proprietary programming, so in that sense they are more difficult to update. A carrier unbranded device, like the Nexus 4, is much easier and faster to update because it's designed to be able to switch from SIM to SIM and from network to network. Updates for a CDMA device have to be designed with the particular network they're going to be running on in mind. They can't just be left open in the same way that GSM can. Because of that, a true Nexus device, with fast and direct updates from Google, on a CDMA network was always a pipe dream. Add Verizon's notoriously obsessive involvement with updates to that, and it's just a recipe for disappointment. Even Sprint, who isn't nearly as bad as Verizon when it comes to updates, can't keep their versions on par with a GSM Nexus.

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
Sprint had both the Nexus S and the Galaxy Nexus, and it's a CDMA network.

CDMA phones do require some proprietary programming, so in that sense they are more difficult to update. A carrier unbranded device, like the Nexus 4, is much easier and faster to update because it's designed to be able to switch from SIM to SIM and from network to network. Updates for a CDMA device have to be designed with the particular network they're going to be running on in mind. They can't just be left open in the same way that GSM can. Because of that, a true Nexus device, with fast and direct updates from Google, on a CDMA network was always a pipe dream. Add Verizon's notoriously obsessive involvement with updates to that, and it's just a recipe for disappointment. Even Sprint, who isn't nearly as bad as Verizon when it comes to updates, can't keep their versions on par with a GSM Nexus.
Had no idea Sprint had the Galaxy Nexus, thanks for clearin that up

shaynesgnex

Reaction score
Haha, the Eris sucked. That was my first android smartphone. Worked fine till that OS update came out and then after that my wife's BB blew it away.

OP
V

vman411gamer

Reaction score
Haha, the Eris sucked. That was my first android smartphone. Worked fine till that OS update came out and then after that my wife's BB blew it away.
My original was the G1 from T-Mobil (before I switched). Cracked the screen 2 weeks after I got it and never fixed it to this day :p

WookieClaws

Reaction score
Had no idea Sprint had the Galaxy Nexus, thanks for clearin that up

Sprints updates for the Galaxy Nexus have been later than the HSPA updates, but not much faster than VZW's updates... maybe a week or 2. So I'm buying into the "it takes longer" reason for CDMA. But once we don't need a 3G radio anymore will that SIM card that is in our GNEX's (and other 4G devices) allow us to swap devices around easier and facilitate updates on Nexus devices easier?

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
Sprints updates for the Galaxy Nexus have been later than the HSPA updates, but not much faster than VZW's updates... maybe a week or 2. So I'm buying into the "it takes longer" reason for CDMA. But once we don't need a 3G radio anymore will that SIM card that is in our GNEX's (and other 4G devices) allow us to swap devices around easier and facilitate updates on Nexus devices easier?
That's what I'm thinking. That's how I used to swap phones on AT&T many moons ago, just swap the SIM cards. Hassle free and made for switching phones easier. Then again this was all the way back in middle school so my memory may be a bit foggy and maybe it wasn't THAT simple.

bsweetness

Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2 XL

Theoretically yes. Once Verizon completely switches over to LTE, including for voice, everything in regards to switching SIM cards should operate in pretty much the same way as GSM phones currently do. But, in order for that to work, the phones must have Verizon's LTE bands. With the ridiculous number of incompatible LTE bands currently being used, there's no telling how things will work out later on.

So, once Verizon moves completely to LTE for everything, Verizon customers should be able to use any unlocked LTE device that supports Verizon's bands. I say should because I wouldn't put it past Verizon to try to find a loophole that allows them to block the activation of devices that aren't theirs.

Either way, that possibility is still a few years off.