Nextbit Plans to Launch 'friggin awesome' Smartphone on September 1st

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
nextbit.jpg

Color us skeptical, but we have a hard time believing that yet another low-end Android smartphone hitting the market will actually shake things up. Despite that, Nextbit is throwing around some blatant marketing hyperbole in order to get our attention on their new device. They didn't say anything about it, other than it will be "friggin awesome," and will range between $300 to $400 USD.

The pedigree for the phone's developers is decent, so perhaps it has a chance at being something more than mediocre. The Chief Product Officer us Scott Croyle, who helped design the HTC One series. The company's CEO is Tom Moss who was a founding board member of Cyanogen.

There are a few things Nextbit hopes will make their device standout from the pack. One is a custom and built-in cloud storage software solution for the device. The second is that the company claims they will make the device better over time with constant software updates. Finally, they plan to offer the device in a provocative design.

Here at HQ we aren't too excited about it, but we are at least intrigued. The official announcement will come on September 1st. What do you guys think?

Source: CNET

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
I think I welcome new players to the manufacturing field, but those are bold claims they're making. I also think the average consumer isn't a fan of cloud storage. They're afraid of it. We're hearing all the time about large corporations getting hacked. I personally embrace the cloud for easy file sharing and picture backups, but I also don't deal in very sensitive data when using the cloud. You're welcome to my selfies, pictures of my pets, nature, and the occasional model number of something I'm trying to fix. Haha!

I'm intrigued and will be very interested to see what they come to the table with, but I'm not holding my breath for a game changer.

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I think I welcome new players to the manufacturing field, but those are bold claims they're making. I also think the average consumer isn't a fan of cloud storage. They're afraid of it. We're hearing all the time about large corporations getting hacked. I personally embrace the cloud for easy file sharing and picture backups, but I also don't deal in very sensitive data when using the cloud. You're welcome to my selfies, pictures of my pets, nature, and the occasional model number of something I'm trying to fix. Haha!

I'm intrigued and will be very interested to see what they come to the table with, but I'm not holding my breath for a game changer.
e75ea6a7c29f0d24f8bd8567c0362914.jpg

Support Our Troops !!!
<><
Beast Mode 4

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
Baaahahahahahahahahaha...poor jonny..next thing is they'll make you watch Rosanne bar on Netflix...nothing but rossie..eeeak

Mustang02

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P/5X
"In" for Jonny selfies.....

I'd love to see what this device has.

johnomaz

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel 2XL
Lets face it, a $400 phone is more than enough for many users. They'll never know the difference or know what to look for to determine is its the fastest phone out there or not. I want the latest and greatest because thats the kind of person i am. It however isn't a necessity. If this company is able to product very fast updates, use the latest Android version and patch security issues quickly, it could shake things up.......for us. For the average user, they don't care. My wife dismisses OTAs until I finally see it and install it. She has no idea what the difference was between her S4 and her S6 Edge other than it was new. Samsung could put last years tech in the S7 and people will still gobble it up.

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Lets face it, a $400 phone is more than enough for many users. They'll never know the difference or know what to look for to determine is its the fastest phone out there or not. I want the latest and greatest because thats the kind of person i am. It however isn't a necessity. If this company is able to product very fast updates, use the latest Android version and patch security issues quickly, it could shake things up.......for us. For the average user, they don't care. My wife dismisses OTAs until I finally see it and install it. She has no idea what the difference was between her S4 and her S6 Edge other than it was new. Samsung could put last years tech in the S7 and people will still gobble it up.
Last years tech will be a removable battery and SIM card . :D

Support Our Troops !!!
<><
Beast Mode 4

Ollie

Droid Does
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note Edge - iPhone 6 Plus
I'm always looking forward to the new kid on the block. What if this phone is a game changer?

I don't use the cloud at all and never will.

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
I think the joke is on all of us..I don't see why a flagship costs more than 500...other than the companies inflating the price...what's the profit margin off of each handset sold at full retail, I wonder...