Next OS for Original Droid

vince4255

Reaction score
Since gingerbread probably wont be released to the original Droid. Does anyone know what the next OS for the Droid will be?

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums App

spaz33g

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
If it doesn't get gingerbread then that means it will no longer be receiving updates of any kind. At least not android version updates.

tappin and a talkin

JayR_

Theme Developer
Theme Developer
Reaction score
If they are not releasing gb for the droid i highly doubt they will release anything further ...times they are a changing....and the d1 will be left behind as far as verizon/google is concerned :)

spaz33g

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
It's not Google's fault, they don't really have any say in who gets the updates. It's Verizon and MOTO that are to blame and from my understanding mostly MOTO.

tappin and a talkin

JayR_

Theme Developer
Theme Developer
Reaction score
I dont really care whos fault it is.....all i know is the d1 has what it has end of story

jaycemiskel

Reaction score
I don't see why you would think it would get another update if it doesn't get GB. I've got GB on my Droid and honestly I don't think it could handle what's coming next anyway.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

Jizzylax

Reaction score
The next OS for the Droid is going to be called "Get a New Phone".

jstafford1

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Twitter
jstaff79
It looks like with the way things are going Froyo is it for the D1. 2.4 will be the next pushed OS and I don't think the D1 has the specs to handle it.

Sent from somewhere...

jstafford1

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Twitter
jstaff79
Yeah....as far as stock the D1 is done.

Sent from somewhere...

Jeyman

Reaction score
the moto droid had one hell of a run. 15 months? thats nuts with the speed android has been growing.

Its time to move on, you can keep it in hopes the devs keep adding in things. but if you want new updates you need a new phone

hemorrdroid

Reaction score
Yeah, the D1 won't be getting any more OTA updates.

Even if they do continue to port stuff over to the D1, each new release will be more cpu/ram intensive and the D1 is already running low on the ram. You might get a port of 2.4/3.0 etc, but its just going to run slower with each build. The D1 was fun, but i'm retiring mine to a backup NES/SNES emulater.

illmatic636

Reaction score
We really can't be mad at Moto in my opinion. Look at the HTC devices with exception to Nexus One. Aren't they just now getting 2.2? Most are still on 2.1 Android. Eclair is stale! Froyo is melting and Gingerbread is hot out the oven.

darkmatter

Reaction score
I'm looking forward to the supposed google experience moto phone (hopefully d3). One thing I like about the og droid, is that it got updates first (after nexus 1 that is)

garrett

Silver Member
Developer
Theme Developer
Reaction score
the D1 is a discontinued device .... like others have said froyo is it officially.

if your rooted there are plenty of fully functional gingerbread roms...... im working on one now built from source i hope to have it completed here in the next week,,