Next Nexus 7 Device Coming in July With the 16GB Version at a $229 Price Point

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
google-nexus-7-tablet-logo-logo.png

If rumors from DigiTimes are correct, Google has no plans to chase the ultra-cheap pricing model to the bottom of the toilet with their next Nexus 7. According to their sources, Google is planning to stick with similar pricing for their next generation of the Nexus 7 tablet and may even increase it slightly to $229.99. Google wants to make sure they lock up the mid-range segment and avoid competing in the entry-level arean. Here's a quote with the details,

Google's second-generation Nexus 7 tablets are estimated to be available in the retail channel in July with a 16GB version priced at US$229 to avoid competing directly against entry-level tablets, according to sources from the upstream supply chain.

As first-tier brand vendors have been trying to expand their sales through price cuts, Google is not looking to follow suit, but will instead focus on defending the US$199-249 segment of the 7-inch tablet market and target competitors such as Amazon and Apple, the sources said.

The sources said that in the second half, Apple's iPad mini will still focus mainly in the high-end segment, second-generation Nexus 7 the mid-range segment (US$200-250), Samsung's tablets both the mid-range and entry-level segments, and Acer and Asustek Computer's models the entry-level segment (below US$159).

What do you guys think? With the rumored higher end specs of the next generation Nexus 7, will it still be a bargain at $230?

gadgetrants

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
That's fine by me if (a) Google continues to partner with Asus and (b) Asus continues to offer their own branded 7" (like the Memo) under $199 with a comparable processor and display (or close!). Or wait...having a Nexus device does mean getting more timely updates. Hmmm, tough choice.

-Matt

Last edited:

johnomaz

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel 2XL
16 gigs? I broke my first Nexus 7 and it was a 16 gig model. It sucked because I wasted $200. I bought a new one and made it a 32 gig model. The 16gig model ran out of memory too fast and I wasn't storing pictures or videos or music. It was just apps. I downloaded one racing game and it was over a gig. Apps are getting bigger and bigger and 16 gigs just isn't enough. I'm sure it suits many people and it suits me on my S3, but for tablets, I think 32 should become their minimum standard.

GAstorino

Reaction score
I agree a 32 GB has to be a minimum anymore. Hell I can get an IPAD with 64 gb. What is it with these companies and being stingy on the memory ie S4 phone and 16gb vs their 64gb. Why would someone trade their old 32 gb for a new 16gb makes no sense. Memory is so cheap anymore its insane not to top out with as much as possible. I have an Archos 5" player with 500 GB drive in it and its about the thickness of 2 phones. I have a 128gb usb stick that I paid $50 bucks for. Companies please don't keep holding back the tech in dribs and drabs to give us incremental updates for $$$$.

trestevenson

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Huawei Nexus 6P
$230 is cheap enough for me to sell my current 7 and pay the difference for the refresh.