Next Droid qwerty slider?

cyclonmaster

Reaction score
I really love Android with QWERTY keyboard. It's nice if the QWERTY design to match a gamepad to beat XPERIA Play form factor plus give it a stylus support with 5" size. It become ultimate android for sure :)

tcrews

Premium Member
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
Website
android.snkbitten.com
How is the droid 4 keyboard compared to the 3? I have had every droid besides the 4 and I love the 3 the best. Don't see the 4 being a big enough upgrade from the 3 to get it. Will probably get the maxx hd when I can upgrade seeing that I had the casio commando in between and was ok with just the touch screen. Wishing they would come out with a maxx 5. That would be my dream phone

Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk 2

I went from Droid to Droid 3 to Droid 4. Each was a significant improvement over the one before it. The advantages the Droid 4 has over the Droid 3 make it a great upgrade even if the keyboard wasn't better (it is). 4G, twice the ram, official ICS and announced JB upgrade...... I liked my Droid 3......love my Droid 4.

MonsterEnergy655

Reaction score
How is the droid 4 keyboard compared to the 3? I have had every droid besides the 4 and I love the 3 the best. Don't see the 4 being a big enough upgrade from the 3 to get it. Will probably get the maxx hd when I can upgrade seeing that I had the casio commando in between and was ok with just the touch screen. Wishing they would come out with a maxx 5. That would be my dream phone

Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk 2

Personaly I thought the 3 was the best I've had all of them from the og to 4. The only improvements are a better front camera, webtop, more ram, and cool keyboard lights. I wasn't a huge fan of the 4, mostly because I had a massive 4000mah extended battery for my d3, and the d4 had 1750mah of 'nonremoveable' bs. The only thing that held the battery in was a sticker and a screw. if you could have put a bigger battery in the 4 I would have loved it. So I got rid of it for a galaxy nexus and I really miss my keyboard now

victoriak68

Reaction score
You should hold off until the BlackBerry 10 series comes out. The keyboards, both physical and touch, are going to be the best on the market. Also, BlackBerry 10 will support Android apps. Even now BlackBerry still has the best keyboard (both physical and touch), its just that BlackBerry doesn't have enough apps and their phones are currently too slow to be desirable. From what I've been reading, BlackBerry10 will change all that.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

victoriak68

Reaction score
Btw, I love touch. Physical keyboards have always given me a headache.

comk4ver

Reaction score
http://www.brighthand.com/default.asp?newsID=18543&news=blackberry+10+android+player+RIM
Wow, at first I thought you were just crazy but now! At least, it'll just be a small subset of apps that can be converted to crackberry. Google should just buy them out too.
victoriak68 said:
You should hold off until the BlackBerry 10 series comes out. The keyboards, both physical and touch, are going to be the best on the market. Also, BlackBerry 10 will support Android apps. Even now BlackBerry still has the best keyboard (both physical and touch), its just that BlackBerry doesn't have enough apps and their phones are currently too slow to be desirable. From what I've been reading, BlackBerry10 will change all that.

JoeFresco

Reaction score
Samsung Stratosphere II.

1.2 GHZ Dual Core Krait w/ 1GB RAM and 5 row QWERTY and 4" AMOLED.
Removable battery and microsd slot
GSM+LTE+CDMA

To me, this is where the Droid owners should head. Yes, the build quality is doubtful to be on par with the Droid series, but it has the oomph and versatility that the Droid 4 doesn't have. I can't imagine the Droid 5 having a removable battery, so I will probably be getting a StratII as my next phone.

comk4ver

Reaction score
Wow, gsm? What's the retail on one of those cause that might be the first phone it'd buy full price in order to move it to t-Mobile.
JoeFresco said:
Samsung Stratosphere II.

GSM+LTE+CDMA

To me, this is where the Droid owners should head. Yes, the build quality is doubtful to be on par with the Droid series, but it has the oomph and versatility that the Droid 4 doesn't have. I can't imagine the Droid 5 having a removable battery, so I will probably be getting a StratII as my next phone.

JoeFresco

Reaction score
I came across that here, and I've heard elsewhere that the StratII will be a global phone.
Samsung Stratosphere II specs

Now, whether it can/will be unlockable, I have no idea.

I too am planning on buying it at full price to preserve my unlimited data + low minutes + no texting plan. I'll come out ahead after less than a year (vs. free w/ contract), and my current Strat1 needs a kick in the pants.... Arm A8 single core has run its course.

tcrews

Premium Member
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
Website
android.snkbitten.com
Samsung Stratosphere II.

GSM+LTE+CDMA

What "oomph and versatility" over the Droid 4 does this have?

Droid 4
1.2 Ghz dual-core OMAP CPU w/ 1GB RAM and 5 row QWERTY and 4" display
MicroSD slot
GSM+LTE+CDMA

Removable battery isn't much "oomph" and Motorola still makes the best radios for cell/data.

JoeFresco

Reaction score
Dual Core Krait has noticeably more performance than Droid 4 and a bit better LTE battery life (Krait is near A15 levels plus integrated LTE for better efficiency). That's the oomph. The battery is more versatile since you can get 3000+ mah batteries if you want or just more stock batteries with an external charger so you always have a hot one to swap to. I've done this since my OG Droid days and can't imagine having to give that up just for the phone to be slightly thinner.

Having more GSM bands also makes it more versatile.

Reaction score
I stopped by my local RS yesterday on my way home from work to check and see if they had any info on the Stratosphere 2. To my surprise it was on display, free with upgrade. I asked if they had one available, she came out with the only one they received today. Activated it on my account, and off I went with an unreleased phone.
Wife loves it so far, she played with it all night.

Now to find a screen protector and case for it...........going to be slim pickings since the phone doesn't exist.

Steve

Monshroud

Reaction score
I am waiting to hear if a Droid 5 will be coming out. A few months ago I was debating a D4 or a iPhone 5. I realized I really enjoy having a physical keyboard as being able to see more screen real estate while typing documents is extremely helpful. My only issue is my R2D2 is starting to glitch on me again and I don't know what Verizon will replace it with, since I was recently told that Verizon is no longer carrying the R2D2 in their warranty / insurance stock. I doubt I can demand a D4 as an insurance replacement for now and then use my upgrade to a D5 when/if one comes out. Granted that might be fun to try.

comk4ver

Reaction score
Whether they carry a r2d2 isn't the issue if you pay the insurance the company has to give you a phone replacement the problem is whether your phone will be a slider which I don't believe can be guaranteed.

Monshroud

Reaction score
Whether they carry a r2d2 isn't the issue if you pay the insurance the company has to give you a phone replacement the problem is whether your phone will be a slider which I don't believe can be guaranteed.

Yeah, that's why I am worried. I am going to just be nice to my little R2 unit and hope to hear about the D5 sooner than later. If I have to replace soon I am going to be worried. Especially with Key Lime on the Horizon. Wouldn't mind having a phone with that on it out of the box. Granted any phone is probably a huge jump for me, going from Gingerbread/single core to anything current is going to be huge.