Next Droid qwerty slider?

Discussion in 'Droid Forums Member News Depot' started by CPAaz, Jun 14, 2012.

1. comk4ver

comk4ver Member

http://www.brighthand.com/default.asp?newsID=18543&news=blackberry 10 android player RIM
    Wow, at first I thought you were just crazy but now! At least, it'll just be a small subset of apps that can be converted to crackberry. Google should just buy them out too.
  2. JoeFresco

JoeFresco New Member

Samsung Stratosphere II.

1.2 GHZ Dual Core Krait w/ 1GB RAM and 5 row QWERTY and 4" AMOLED.
    Removable battery and microsd slot
    GSM+LTE+CDMA

To me, this is where the Droid owners should head. Yes, the build quality is doubtful to be on par with the Droid series, but it has the oomph and versatility that the Droid 4 doesn't have. I can't imagine the Droid 5 having a removable battery, so I will probably be getting a StratII as my next phone.
  3. comk4ver

comk4ver Member

Wow, gsm? What's the retail on one of those cause that might be the first phone it'd buy full price in order to move it to t-Mobile.
  4. JoeFresco

JoeFresco New Member

I came across that here, and I've heard elsewhere that the StratII will be a global phone.
    Samsung Stratosphere II specs

Now, whether it can/will be unlockable, I have no idea.

I too am planning on buying it at full price to preserve my unlimited data + low minutes + no texting plan. I'll come out ahead after less than a year (vs. free w/ contract), and my current Strat1 needs a kick in the pants.... Arm A8 single core has run its course.
  5. tcrews

tcrews Premium Member Premium Member Developer

What "oomph and versatility" over the Droid 4 does this have?

Droid 4
    1.2 Ghz dual-core OMAP CPU w/ 1GB RAM and 5 row QWERTY and 4" display
    MicroSD slot
    GSM+LTE+CDMA

Removable battery isn't much "oomph" and Motorola still makes the best radios for cell/data.
  6. JoeFresco

JoeFresco New Member

Dual Core Krait has noticeably more performance than Droid 4 and a bit better LTE battery life (Krait is near A15 levels plus integrated LTE for better efficiency). That's the oomph. The battery is more versatile since you can get 3000+ mah batteries if you want or just more stock batteries with an external charger so you always have a hot one to swap to. I've done this since my OG Droid days and can't imagine having to give that up just for the phone to be slightly thinner.

Having more GSM bands also makes it more versatile.
  7. maineultraclassic

maineultraclassic New Member

I stopped by my local RS yesterday on my way home from work to check and see if they had any info on the Stratosphere 2. To my surprise it was on display, free with upgrade. I asked if they had one available, she came out with the only one they received today. Activated it on my account, and off I went with an unreleased phone.
    Wife loves it so far, she played with it all night.

Now to find a screen protector and case for it...........going to be slim pickings since the phone doesn't exist.

Steve
  8. Monshroud

Monshroud New Member

I am waiting to hear if a Droid 5 will be coming out. A few months ago I was debating a D4 or a iPhone 5. I realized I really enjoy having a physical keyboard as being able to see more screen real estate while typing documents is extremely helpful. My only issue is my R2D2 is starting to glitch on me again and I don't know what Verizon will replace it with, since I was recently told that Verizon is no longer carrying the R2D2 in their warranty / insurance stock. I doubt I can demand a D4 as an insurance replacement for now and then use my upgrade to a D5 when/if one comes out. Granted that might be fun to try.
  9. comk4ver

comk4ver Member

Whether they carry a r2d2 isn't the issue if you pay the insurance the company has to give you a phone replacement the problem is whether your phone will be a slider which I don't believe can be guaranteed.
  10. Monshroud

Monshroud New Member

Yeah, that's why I am worried. I am going to just be nice to my little R2 unit and hope to hear about the D5 sooner than later. If I have to replace soon I am going to be worried. Especially with Key Lime on the Horizon. Wouldn't mind having a phone with that on it out of the box. Granted any phone is probably a huge jump for me, going from Gingerbread/single core to anything current is going to be huge.
  11. Xplorer4x4

Xplorer4x4 New Member

I made the switch from a D2G to an HD Maxx and I still miss my qwety slider, but so far a virtual keyboard isnt as bad as I thought. Maybe I have big fingers, but my gf's iPhone 4 and iPhone 5 are horrible to type on. Even with me being adjusted to a virtual keyboard, I still cant use the iPhone 5 in landscape mode. Now, the Maxx HD is another story. I was able to use it pretty easily as soon as I picked it up for the first time.

The keyboards will be the best? I doubt it, but time will tell. To me the physical qwerty keys appear to be to small for me. I tried a BB style phone a few years back and it was impossible to use.
  12. CPAaz

CPAaz New Member

I agree with you Explorer. I thought virtual would be torture but it hasn't been that bad. I do miss having more of a screen visible while typing but I will get over it. I really like the Maxx HD.
  13. JoeFresco

JoeFresco New Member

Well, I put my money where my mouth is and upgraded to a Strat2. It hasn't shown up yet, but after demoing it at the Verizon store, I can't imagine being disappointed. I've used a virtual keyboard since the iPhone 3G (and Droid1 and Strat1), and the only one I've ever liked is my 10" Touchpad in landscape mode running the Jellybean keyboard. I find it really telling/pathetic how little attention/marketing the Strat2 has received considering that it is basically a VZ Galaxy SIII with a little smaller display, 15% slower CPU, 1/2 the RAM, but with a physical keyboard. It has pretty much all the other features of the SIII. And as far as half the RAM goes, I'm really not sure what the point of more than 1GB RAM in Android would be anyway.

As a VZ qwerty user that requires a microSD slot and removable battery, I've resigned myself to the fact that I'm pretty much relegated to no ASOP even in the aftermarket community. I'm basically left just hoping that the StratII gets rooted at all. I never would have guessed that at 32 I'd be an old fart. :)
    Last edited: Jan 8, 2013
  14. bsweetness

bsweetness Moderator

Beyond the processors (both the Snapdragon S4 and Adreno 225), the Stratosphere II is more of a Galaxy SII with a physical keyboard than it is a Galaxy SIII, just like the original Stratosphere was pretty much a Galaxy S with a keyboard. The screen resolution, RAM, camera (which is actually the Galaxy S camera), and battery size are all closer to the S2. For some reason, Samsung is keeping the Stratosphere line about a year behind the Galaxy line on many fronts. Maybe they don't feel there's much of a demand for them, so they're trying to use some leftover components and repackage them into something new. That's probably why it doesn't get much attention - it has a physical keyboard (which isn't popular in marketing these days) and it's running specs that are approaching two years old.

That's certainly not intended as a knock on the Stratosphere II in the slightest, because with that processor it's a more than capable phone. From a computing standpoint, it's right there on par with the RAZR HD and MAXX HD. But it's more of a realization where the focus on mobile devices is, and regrettably it's not on physical keyboards. To this day, the Droid Pro is my second favorite smartphone ever (behind the Note 2), because that Blackberry-style keyboard is nothing short of amazing. If they were to release an updated Droid Pro with cutting edge specs and a slightly larger size (both for the screen and keyboard), I'd have to seriously consider picking one up.

And once you use an Android phone with 2GB of RAM as your main device for awhile, you'll see what the point in it is. :biggrin:
  15. JoeFresco

JoeFresco New Member

I guess from my perspective, the screen quality in my Stratosphere 1 is great. I don't need higher resolution than that. And I'm not sure I'd want a bigger size screen, either. What I do want is more battery life and the Snapdragon S4 and more RAM (I think I would be fine with 768 MB, actually -- 512 MB is just too small -- apps, especially my launcher, are always swapping out of RAM). I also want Bluetooth 4, NFC, video out, and USB 3 high current for faster charging / charging while navigating (the latter not existing in any phone I know about).

That wasn't very helpful. Care to elaborate? Is it just about games?
  16. bsweetness

bsweetness Moderator

You notice it in regular day to day use. That's why I said that once you use one as your main device for awhile, you'll see the difference. I don't play many games that would require a large amount of RAM, so I can't speak to that, but having owned a lot of different smartphones, I can tell you that there's a discernible difference in regular use. A lot of that comes from the fact that the phone doesn't get bogged down as quickly because the RAM can handle a larger workload. Before I got the Galaxy SIII, I didn't think 2GB of RAM would make much of a difference for my uses. But after a week with the phone, I had to eat crow and admit that I was completely wrong.

It's just one of those things that at this point, with the way Android operates and with the current requirements for most apps, it's difficult to nail down a lot of specifics about where you see the difference. It's just something you notice in overall use, just like a slightly faster processor is something you'll often notice in overall use. The ability to perform various functions and for everything to run smoothly is increased, and it's something that becomes quite obvious with use. I think in the near future, 2GB of RAM will start becoming even more useful as Android and various apps evolve. If it wasn't, Google wouldn't have bothered to have LG use 2GB of RAM in the Nexus 4 (especially since they were needing to keep costs down to sell it so cheaply). Then people will probably be able to point out more specific things. But for right now, it just gives a noticeable overall performance boost.
  17. crash26

crash26 New Member

I really hope they make a droid 5. I've only had virtual keyboards. And never really had the desire to get a phone with a slide out but the other day I dropped my droid razr maxx and cracked the screen. As a replacement I got a droid 4. And I absolutely love this phone. I couldn't see going back to a virtual keyboard. I type a hell of a lot faster. I'm also WAY more accurate.
  18. XxdropzxX

XxdropzxX New Member

I really hope they keep making physical keyboards..
  19. crash26

crash26 New Member

I feel like all the QWERTY phoned are just getting last years specs. Why can't they make a phone like the DROID DNA but with a QWERTY keyboard. All I really want is something new and exciting, but at the rate QWERTY phones have been coming out I'll be excited for just about anything at this point. I just had to get that off my chest.
Search tags for this page

droid 5

droid 5 motorola
droid 5 news
droid 5 qwerty

droid 5 rumors

droid 5 slider
droid 5 slider rumors
droid qwerty slider

motorola droid 5

motorola droid 5 qwerty

motorola droid 5 rumors