Next Droid 2 Update

Reaction score
Well, it is currently January 22nd, the last firmware update for the D2 was October 28th. It's been nearly 3 months since the last update, I have a feeling that there's going to be an update any day now, in my personal opinion I think it'll almost definitely be within the next 2 weeks. I'd really just like my phone to work properly, there are a number of bugs in the software that just REALLY annoy me since they haven't been fixed after so long. Because, to be quite honest, the phone came out August 12th, and still has a lot of bugs in it.

Here is a list of bugs that I'm experiencing that I would like fixed ASAP. (I'd actually prefer these to be fixed over receiving any new "features" motorola may be throwing in the next firmware)

1. SMS backup bug - causes apps that make SMS backups to not backup received texts, therefore defeating the whole purpose since it only backs up sent texts. It's a timezone bug that affects an unknown amount of Droid 2/X users (I know it happens to me, I can't speak for anyone else though, maybe people should comment on whether or not they experience this?)

2. Touchscreen not registering finger presses - I'll use facebook as an example. Let's say I open the browser, I'll click my 'Inbox', EVERYTIME when I go to the box at the bottom to type a message i HAVE to click it twice, it will NEVER register the first time. This happens in several other places on the browser, in fact, it happens primarily on the browser (i think**).

3. Browser bug - I don't know if this only affects me, but whenever I'm in the browser, more than half the time I have to press the Homescreen button twice to get to the home screen. I'll tap it once and i'll feel the haptic feedback, but i'll remain in the browser. I'll tap the home button again, and the browser does the animation where it slides to the left and the home screen appears. It's a little annoying and odd.

4. Unlock screen - Not a bug, but an issue nonetheless. Why does the LG Vortex, a phone with a 600mhz processor, have a SUPER SMOOTH unlock screen? Not to mention, the haptic feedback in general on the phone is amazing. On the Droid 2, it's sluggish, and the vibrate is loud and noisy.

5. Bluetooth headset bug - I'm not talking about the voice dialing thing. I'm talking about when I'm on the phone with someone, they always complain about how I'm quiet. Or I'll say something to them, they won't respond, and I'll ask them if they heard me and they'll say that i didn't say anything. I saw a programmer mention this on the motodev forums, he reported it to motorola's engineering team and they said they developed a fix for this, but that they didn't know when the update would be going out. This was in November that he said this by the way.

6. No Signal Bug - This has happened to my phone exactly 4 times since I got it back on September 3rd. Two of those times were very important, the other two were random instances when I noticed it. Regardless, this should never happen. I would like to mention though that two out of those four times, my phone didn't show the red circle with the line going through it, i just simply didn't receive texts or calls from the multiple people telling me they texted/called me. The other two times it did in fact show the red circle with the line going through it, which I then asked my brother (who also has verizon, an LG Cosmos) if he had signal, he said yes and showed me. I then tried putting my phone in airplane mode, which didn't work. So I ended up doing a battery pull. That's happened twice.

7. 3G Data hang up - This happens very often, it happened to me on my Droid X and my Droid 2. I'll be messing with my phone, let's say I'm on the droidforums app, I click a post and i notice it's taking an awfully long time to load up, at the same time i'll look at my notification bar at the top and notice that my phone is stuck with that arrow on the right (that points down, which i assume means incoming data) highlighted. I then leave the droidforums app and try to use a different app that requires data, such as the browser.....oh look...google won't load. Let's try android market....that also won't load. The only thing that fixes this, is if I go into airplane mode and deactivate it. BUT, the problem with doing that is that sometimes airplane mode doesn't want to work, i'll select it...wait....back out and select it again....wait...and repeat the process until it either works, or i get impatient and restart my phone. Maybe the Airplane mode has a bug in it too? I don't know.

*UPDATE*
[video=youtube;SqP_Jad4YQI]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SqP_Jad4YQI"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SqP_Jad4YQI[/video]

8. Facebook Contact pictures not updating - this one is self explanatory, and I'm pretty sure this affects all droid x/2 users who use the built in facebook app to import contacts, myself included.

Anyways, what I think is that Motorola is painting this reputation for itself that emphasizes hardware over software. Motoblur is terrible, and motorola has clearly shown it's incompetency in software development with the numerous bugs in its motoblur UI. LG's home UI is better than Motoblur, I've seen it and used it, my dad has the LG Vortex. HTC Sense, amazing UI, better than LG's in my opinion. I'm confused why Motorola would emphasize insane hardware specs, only to follow up with that by providing a lackluster software experience. The only thing holding me back from putting a ROM on my phone is the SMS backup bug, I can't lose all of my text messages. Unless Motorola can fix the bugs on the Droid x/2, I think I will actually be taking their advice and "buy elsewhere", most likely an HTC device.

BTW, if I didn't list any common/major bugs please post them below.

Last edited:

alanj

Reaction score
Let's all hope that you are right and it comes soon...

I'm tired of the little things adding up

Sent from my DROID2

UrbanBounca

Rescue Squad
Staff member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
I hope you don't expect Motorola to care. Flash a good ROM, and call it a day.

Sent from my DROID2 using DroidForums App

OP
R
Reaction score
I hope you don't expect Motorola to care. Flash a good ROM, and call it a day.

I don't expect them to care. That's why my next phone purchase will almost definitely be an HTC device. And again, can't flash a ROM until I can get my texts (i have thousands) backed up.

OP
R
Reaction score
I don't have any of those issues.

All I know is that most of those issues happened on my first Droid x, and my replacement Droid x, and obviously my current Droid 2. Im certain these issues cannot only be happening to me. Im just not sure how many people are having these kinds of problems.

OP
R
Reaction score
I forgot one major bug that is very intermittent that should be placed as number 9. Its the bug where when you press the screen lock button, the four touch buttons remain lit while the phone remains frozen for either a few seconds or automatic reboot.

pool_shark

Reaction score
I forgot one major bug that is very intermittent that should be placed as number 9. Its the bug where when you press the screen lock button, the four touch buttons remain lit while the phone remains frozen for either a few seconds or automatic reboot.

I didn't say they were only happening to you, but none of them are happening to me and I've had mine since the day it came out.

I don't have your number 9 issue either.

droidmatic

Reaction score
I will say that there are a ton of things that need to be fixed with the droid 2, but I can't say I have any of the same issues that you have. My main concern might be a hardware complaint, and that is simply how slow and choppy the droid 2 is when stock. Shouldn't have to void my warranty, flash a new rom, and tinker with the cpu speed just to get a smooth device when devices that are older and have similar processors and even more intrusive roms (im looking at you, droid incredible) are smooth and quick out of the box. From what I understand the droid x is sluggish as well, which leads me to believe it is probably a problem with moto blur, less so with the phones, but still. I love my droid, but it boggles me how it can be so laggy sometimes when stock.

Tillyswilly

Reaction score
Yea i,m not having any of these issues as well man again not saying your wrong but just not mine....but the smooth thing is just the motorola phones and u knew it was like that when u bout the phone and had 30 days 2 return it but me personally I like moto way more than htc myself even if its like that......but you want void your warrenty bc u can always sbf back to stock out of the box even if it breaks and the screen won't turn on and there's plenty of people that have sent them back bricked on here with the warrenty

Tappen and Talken

droidmatic

Reaction score
That shouldn't just be "a motorola thing". Would you be ok if moto still made laggy phones 5 years from now? There are a lot of things I like about droid 2, but they just feel a little unpolished, which is a shame for a 2nd gen phone. Look at all the non-motorola android phones out there. Are there any that have similar hardware but are as laggy? I'm asking a genuine question, I haven't had the chance to play with that many phones.

As far as voiding my warranty goes, yes you might be able to screw up your phone and get a new one just fine, but that's a little dishonest (not saying I'm abe lincoln by any means). Plus you shouldn't have to jump through the hoops in the first place.

I probably would have rooted and flashed a rom even if there hadn't been any smoothness issues simply because it is kind of interesting and I like customizing, however I am willing to bet that a lot of people wouldn't have bothered if motoblur didn't suck so much to begin with.

Ps: sorry for the semi-thread hijack

Pps: the worst part is that motorola has taken such a hard stance on modding that it makes it much more difficult to customize in the first place. So not only do they make a crappy rom, but then they make it difficult to work around it on purpose. Feel free to call me out if I'm way off base, it just seems that way to me.

Digital Cha0s

Reaction score
Lol don't get me wrong Motorola is most likely gonna get slapped with a lawsuit for those under handed practices they perform and long overdue for ot IMHO, but on the other hand I do like the style and specs of phones they come out with. I still own one of the first touch screen phones they came out with the ZN4 Krave. I love that phone overlooking the keyboard accuracy of cource.

Sent from my Superior Android Device

OP
R
Reaction score
It is extremely frustrating to be one of the few, if not the only, to have these issues not only on one phone but three different phones.

OP
R
Reaction score
Okay, well I used ShootMe to capture a screencast of issue #7 that I listed in the original post. Unfortunately, screencast mode glitched on me and didn't record it. I had the 3G hangup bug caught on film, but it escaped me. I'll get a video of it next time it shows up.

OP
R
Reaction score
I guess I should post here since I have experienced bugs 6 7 and 8 REGULARLY. These need to be fixed. I am on droid 2 and happy with it for the most part except for these bugs... my friend said he tried to call me 4 times and my phone was on, no missed calls. I also get times where I have to toggle airplane mode to make the data connection unfreeze. It will show bars and say 3g but the download upload arrors will either not be there or just stuck and not transfer data.

Add one more bug to the list, im positive that I can't be the only one with this issue. Make a folder on your home screen, doesn't matter which screen. Put apps in it, the use the folder to launch an app. Occasionally, and often, the folder will remain open but not appear when going back to the home screen. Attempting to open the folder again results in nothing happening. The only way to fix is to reboot OR to force stop the home service. Once home starts back up again, I can open my folder again, PITA!

Insanelycool, I don't know if I should add the bug you listed. I'm pretty sure I know what you're talking about, but I have to ask the question....do you use LauncherPro? I have noticed that on LauncherPro (I have not ever noticed it on motoblur) that sometimes when I use an app in a folder, then try to open the folder again later that it will select the folder but not open it. The only way to fix it is to go to Preferences and Restart LauncherPro.

I think this only happens with LauncherPro for the Droid 2, which is why i didn't list it as a bug here since it would be something that Fede would have to fix, not Motorola.