Next Device

Discussion in 'Project Elite' started by villain1998, Mar 23, 2011.

1. villain1998

villain1998 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I know this is way early, but I'm getting the itch for a new phone. Since the TB came out I'm curious to know what other people's decision and maybe the developer's opinions of what device PE could go on?

2. huskerkate

huskerkate Premium Member Premium Member

Ratings:
    +10
    for me, it's ALL about what the Targa is gonna have - rumor is that this could be an absolute beast!! http://www.droidforums.net/forum/dr...ld-droid-bionic-but-want-stay-motorola-9.html (starting around page 8)

other than that, all these other VZW phones are just mid-tiers with incremental upgrades (except maybe the Bionic) - nothing to get too excited about (unless the D3 comes out as an unlocked/vanilla Andy device).

3. Jasko

Jasko Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I prefer have the option of a physical keyboard and the D3 looks hella sexy so far... so.. D3!

4. bendystrawboy

bendystrawboy Member

Ratings:
    +2
    I've got a weird fascination with the samsung, I get upgrades every ten months so I'm not to worried about being stuck with it.

If not def the bionic, my droids gettin old..and my upgrades been unused since october.

5. AdamPA1006

AdamPA1006 Member

Ratings:
    +11
    Bionic I guess, it seems like the "killer" phone on verizon, even though so many awesome phones are not coming to verizon

6. armopride07

armopride07 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    chose other. im looking at the sony ericcons. like the arc or pro. they look SO sexy. or the xperia play. who knows. or maybe the Droid Inc. S...love the incredible!

AS you can tell...im very torn =(

7. AFX

AFX Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I might hold off depending on when the release is, but if I do end up getting a new phone it will quite likely be the Droid 3.

8. x25064

x25064 Member

Ratings:
    +1
    Bionic but the HTC Merge might be a dealbreaker for me.

Tthe 4g is nice on my gf's thunderbolt but it drains battery like I have never seen before so I am weary of it on the Bionic. Plus so far every Tegra 2 device I have demo'ed (atrix, xoom) has a substantial amount of lag to it which I am thinking is a motorola problem.

9. Rodeojones

Rodeojones Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I can't answer the poll because I truly have no idea what I want. I like the idea of the Bionic, but being a D1 owner, the locked bootloader scares me. And then you have phones whose specs aren't 100% confirmed - like the D3 and X2. I'm still completely satisfied with my D1, so I'm going to wait until summer to see what comes out and what might be on the horizon. And, as someone else mentioned, the Targa looks appealing so I might wait until that one is announced before making a decision. Of course, if any of these phones come out with vanilla Android and/or an unlocked bootloader the decision will be easy.

10. GirLuvsDroid

GirLuvsDroid Senior Member

Ratings:
    +1
    Based on the information currently available, I think I'm holding out for a Targa.

11. icculusX

icculusX Premium Member Theme Developer Premium Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I am going to upgrade in june. I voted for the Bionic only because the specs I have read on it have been quite to my liking, 4g, front camera, dual-core... However I am a D1 man and do worry about not rooting. Also I am a QWERTY guy and hate on-screen keyboards, however what I have read about the D3 has not impressed me. Plus I hear the Droid X2 won't be on 4g wtf is that about. (DX1 was a fail in rooting for the most part anyway)

About 2 months ago I was not interested in upgrading because my D1 did all I needed it to do, however the old grandpa phone just cant handle gingerbread roms. Love gingerbreads speed and battery tho. I am on froyo MIUI now and loving it for so many reasons... I don't know what Ill get but I really am looking for a fast phone, plenty of ram, bigger screen, 4g, front camera, and qwerty if possible...

12. Zepius

Zepius Member

Ratings:
    +0
    i voted bionic. i hate the locked bootloader tho... so that might change. i cant upgrade until oct anyways

13. Jasko

Jasko Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Yeah, I can't upgrade until September anyway. I'm good with my D1 though for now.

When you guys say locked bootloader, I'm assuming that means the phone can't be rooted? Are there ways around this at all?

14. JSM9872

JSM9872 DF Super Moderator Staff Member Premium Member

Ratings:
    +287
    Current Phone Model:
    Galaxy Note 3
    I am not a pro on this topic due to only ever having the D1 which of course is fully unlocked but here goes. It is not that is cannot be rooted, the DX and D2 have locked bootloaders but can be rooted and load roms. The locked bootloader prevents the user from gaining access to the kernel and therefore you cannot over or underclock, or for that matter change the kernel, as a result you can not fully customize like the D1.

As a result of this fact I voted for the t-bolt because having a phone that is not fully unlocked after having the D1 rooted for so long is not an option for me. I do intend on holding out as long as possible though to see what else is to come. My "dinosaur" phone is still working like a finely tuned machine and I have no qualms with it for now.

I will say there is quite a buzz about the targa so I am quite interested in it at this point in time.

Last edited: Mar 24, 2011
  15. Jasko

Jasko Member

Ratings:
    +0
    That's a bummer. Thanks for the explanation!