NexPhone Smartphone Wants to Be The All In One Device

Malvado

DF News Team/Mod
Premium Member
Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
[video=vimeo;48631985]http://vimeo.com/48631985[/video]​

This project is looking to debut a phone that combines Ubuntu and Android to give you one device which docks to your tablet, monitor or laptop to act in any form you need - PC, phone, tablet or laptop.

HOW IT WORKS:

When connected to a monitor and a keyboard, using the Nex dock, NexPhone provides a real computer experience using Ubuntu for Android software. Ubuntu is free and open source operating system which is as easy as using Windows or Mac. It is used by millions of users on their computers and supports hundreds of applications including office productivity, photography, video and music.

Design:

Semi-circle or circle corners on side view. Screen boldly sticking out/seperated from body on side view

We also used magnets as a solution to connect NexPhone securely to docking peripherals.

Tablet-wise, following the same design concept used on the phone - semi-circle on the sides and screen sticking out of the body - we designed completely different looking tablet, with only one side of the bezel bigger for holding it more comfortably, since we use tablets holding with only one hand.

Laptop dock-wise, we followed the same design concept but also used circle/cylinder hinge to have enough depth for the ports. This way we are able to design razor thin screen and keyboard while the thicker cylinder hinge would help carrying it comfortably.

Monitor-wise, following the same design concept of other Nex products we also designed one of the best looking stands for a monitor
using the same semi-circle concept and hiding all the ports underneath.

NexPhone & NexDock with estimated price of $499
NexTablet Dock with estimated price of $149
NexLaptop Dock with estimated price of $199
NexMonitor Dock with keyboard & trackpad with estimated price of $199

ABOUT NEXCREA:
NexCrea wants to change the way people use the computer through an innovative hardware concept. With this concept, NexCrea is creating a new mobile computer phone category: NexPhone. NexPhone is a smartphone that becomes full PC with Ubuntu for Android software. When connected to a monitor and a keyboard using the Nex dock, Nexphone will provide a complete desktop solution. The NEX series will feature affordable options to dock NexPhone to peripherals such as a tablet, laptop or wide screen monitor. The "brain in your pocket" concept is what people have been waiting for and we envision a world where we carry only our smartphone and connect to any screen in the world to turn them into tablets, laptops and PCs. Emre Kosmaz founder of Kosmaz Technologies LLC is the visionary behind the idea. He is an industrial designer and serial entrepreneur, providing Internet Phone Services with his latest venture VoIPVoIP.com. He has a strong team in various backgrounds to get this project alive. Founded in 2005, Kosmaz Technologies is privately held and based in Walnut Creek, CA.

SOURCE: http://nexcrea.com/
http://www.indiegogo.com/nexphone

Last edited:

52brandon

Reaction score
clever. Pretty sure there is already ways to dual-boot with Ubuntuu on some Android phones when rooted. But it's cool to see the idea making it up the chain direct to the mfrs. I also like the laptop dock idea, but don't see it making a lot of sense to power a laptop with a phone. The 4G phones burn through battery fast enough. Now powering a keyboard and larger screen? It'll kill it quick. Down the line, it'll make a lot of sense, like when battery technology is better and the phones really have computer like specs. But today I just don't see it being worth it

AuxiliaryPie

Reaction score
clever. Pretty sure there is already ways to dual-boot with Ubuntuu on some Android phones when rooted. But it's cool to see the idea making it up the chain direct to the mfrs. I also like the laptop dock idea, but don't see it making a lot of sense to power a laptop with a phone. The 4G phones burn through battery fast enough. Now powering a keyboard and larger screen? It'll kill it quick. Down the line, it'll make a lot of sense, like when battery technology is better and the phones really have computer like specs. But today I just don't see it being worth it

battery built into the lapdock? every other company has one

rowdyguy124

Reaction score
I am certainly interested and have always loved the concept since I use both Unbuntu and my Galaxy Nexus connected through Dropbox, Google Music and pogoplug to share files etc. This phone would need a serious amount of storage and processing power as I do event and sports video editing. Plus gaming, photo editing etc. Plus it doesn't look too comfortable to hold for some reason (must be the sharp edges). I'm not to sure about magnetically attaching the phone to the underside of a tablet as well. Just an uneasy feeling that it could slide loose and shatter on the ground etc. Plus it would have to be available on Verizon.

akhenax

Silver Member
Reaction score
Finally....

I'm sure some of us remember when the Galaxy Nexus was teased; we all thought this would be it (ie: Something Big). But then it was just a phone, a Nice Phone, but still just a phone.

NexPhone is the future. I'm glad someone is going to capitalize on the idea. I wish I had loads of money to do some of the things I've thought about.

edit: Since this is a Crowd Funding project, I think I will donate to make it happen.

NexPhone: The brain in your pocket. -- Indiegogo

Last edited:

MissionImprobable

Silver Member
Reaction score
Interesting project. Will be funny to see the rage when noobs start populating the Ubuntu forums =p

justin82

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
interesting i am very interested in this device..prices are nice ..1046 for all of it ...

Last edited:
Reaction score
I hope that phone has about 500GB of storage...

I love the idea, but I have way too many files for something like this. I'd still need the cloud.

riko540

Reaction score
That is an interesting concept. The only problem I see is that it requires you to buy all new hardware. I also don't think this will fly to well with some of the carriers especially if the internet connection is through the phone only. That is going to use a lot of data.

52brandon

Reaction score
battery built into the lapdock? every other company has one
you may be right. I was looking through the video trying to see a DVD drive on the laptop and didn't, so I just assumed it didn't have a battery either. It's just a larger netbook when the phone is plugged into it, except with a smaller storage drive and you can't add RAM. I just fail to see the purpose today, given how affordable laptops are now. 10 years down the line it will likely be a concept in use everywhere, just not today

LocoRon

Reaction score
It's a neat idea. I'd really like for them to make the interface a standard; let any company use the interface, free of charge.

Then you can get different companies making phones and dummy terminals.

That's when this could really shine. Schools, libraries, etc. can offer these terminals instead of full PCs. You just plug in your phone wherever you are, and use your own software, and get your phone a recharge while you're at it. This is a future I can support.

But, just buying the terminal and phone to replace your own home PC/laptop/tablet, end of story... no thanks. My PC could never be replaced by a phone; even in a couple years when the average smartphone is as good as my current PC (or however many years it will take), well, I'll have an even better PC by then, so still no comparison.

AuxiliaryPie

Reaction score
you may be right. I was looking through the video trying to see a DVD drive on the laptop and didn't, so I just assumed it didn't have a battery either. It's just a larger netbook when the phone is plugged into it, except with a smaller storage drive and you can't add RAM. I just fail to see the purpose today, given how affordable laptops are now. 10 years down the line it will likely be a concept in use everywhere, just not today

good thinking. a basic dell laptop is like $350 and does everything this phone/lapdock combo could do and then some...
i use my nexus 7 for school stuff all the time (power point notes in class [and maybe some pokemon emulation]) and google Drive keeps everything set up between my laptop (which is basically a desktop for my uses). my phone is just for being a phone and some quick google searches. not sure an all in one solution is what we need right now, but that's just my opinion, especially with how underpowered phones are compared to full on laptops