NewsRob

Discussion in 'Android Applications Discussions' started by Nickmast, Jan 21, 2010.

1. Nickmast

Nickmast Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I use NewsRob for my mobile RSS feeds for a while now. Today I see an icon in my notification bar and I see it's from newsRob. Click on it and it tells me that I need to log into my google account. This seems kind of fishy to me. Why would I need to log into my google account again after I already set it up? So I clear it and 20 minutes later it pops up again! Has anyone seen this? Seriously considering an uninstall after this suspicious behavior!

2. KZIWarrior

KZIWarrior Silver Member

Ratings:
    +2
    I used to use it but now I just use the browser to look at GoogleReader directly (it's mobile formatted and very quick to load). IMHO it's more efficient. Also when used with xScope it's GREAT because you can load the full-page stories in the background (in tabs) as you read though your other feeds.

3. Mariano Kamp

Mariano Kamp New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

I am the dev of NewsRob and usually don't go through the trouble to register on a site just to answer a support request. The forum for NewsRob is here: NewsRob User Group | Google Groups

As you are suggesting in public that NewsRob does a bad thing I felt the need to make an exception.

This is what you get displayed:

Login to Google needed

NewsRob will connect to the Google Reader online service.

Therefore your username and password is needed.

You password will not be stored on this device.

Instead when your long lived session expires you will be asked again for your credentials.

If you haven't used Google Reader before, please visit: http://google.com/reader

And this is exactly what happened. NewsRob doesn't store your password, so it needed to ask you again as your session expired.

Why didn't this happen before? Because the sessions were never expired before, but with a recent change of the Google Reader team this changed and you will be asked now on a regular basis to re-enter your password. I guess once a month, but it's just a guess.

Btw. In the midterm future for Android 2.0+ devices NewsRob will use the recently introduced official method to do the login. Right now it doesn't seem to work though: Can someone with a Motorola Droid call AccountManager.getAccounts() please? - Android Developers | Google Groups

I don't regularly monitor this forum, so if you feel the need to answer could you please come to the list? Thanks, appreciated.

4. DroidHoff

DroidHoff Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Did you get an update from Market? I just got this screen about a week back and was also leary but then I remembered updating the app in Market a few days back. I confirmed this with another program that I use with google services and after that update I had to login as well!

5. Nickmast

Nickmast Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I hope you don't think I was making that thread to bash your NewsRob app. It was more of a precaution to protect myself so I could gather up information first before logging back in. I love the newsRob app and will continue to use it. I appreciate that you took the time to register and clear this up for me and the rest of the people that read this. If I run into any more issues, I won't hesitate to use the link that you have provided.

6. Mariano Kamp

Mariano Kamp New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I learned that I get an email every time the thread gets updated, so I read your answer.

No, I understand and it's a sane thing to do. I am just not happy seeing the word NewsRob used together with negative adjectives ;-) Therefore I wanted to jump into the discussion.

Yes, cu on the NewsRob forums.

;-)

7. samiusmc

samiusmc Member

Ratings:
    +4
    NewsRob is a great app with a great developer. There's nothing suspicious about you having to log into your Google Account. It probably just logged you out by accident.

Search tags for this page

newsrob login to google nedeed