News on the release of 2.1

balaams_ass

Reaction score
Too Late

I just installed Smoked.Glass 6.0.1 Final and I no longer care if or when the 2.1 is going to come out from Verizon. I like updates on MY schedule!

Please do not discuss ROMs or Rooting on this thread. It's only for the discussion on any news on the release of 2.1 for the Motorola Droid.

I don't want this thread to get out of hand. Let's just keep it on topic.

Way past that point I think.

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I just installed Smoked.Glass 6.0.1 Final and I no longer care if or when the 2.1 is going to come out from Verizon. I like updates on MY schedule!

Please do not discuss ROMs or Rooting on this thread. It's only for the discussion on any news on the release of 2.1 for the Motorola Droid.

I don't want this thread to get out of hand. Let's just keep it on topic.

Way past that point I think.

If it doesn't stay on topic, right now I will start issuing infractions. I don't want to do that but I will.

arirang

Reaction score
Having worked in the IT world MANY years I have been the recipient and even deployed apps before they should have gone primetime....not pretty. I am very happy to wait for the finished and perfected product! :)

+1 on hastily deployed pushes. i suspect many of the members complaining [or boasting about rooting to 2.1] on this thread are the type i support, and roll my eyes at--silly end-users ;)

if given the choice of bad PR due to an on-schedule buggy update, vs a delayed thoroughly Q&A'd one, i guarantee verizon, motorola, google will choose the latter

if you're a systems engineer or administrator of an enterprise [>10,000], you KNOW what's involved and what's at stake with a failed or buggy push. if you've administrated/managed a six-sigma success rate on delivery time on enterprise-wide pushes [large and small], pls PM me, i'm dying to know how you do it, then I WILL HIRE YOU.

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score

Saw it on the other 2.1 thread:

Normally when you get tipped off to update rumors, you tend to turn the other way as to not get too excited over something that is likely about 5% true, but when you get it from multiple people in just a short amount of time, you start diggin’ deeper.
So this is what we’ve got…
As we all know now, last week’s set of 1,000 test updates did not go so well, but we’re hearing now that it was worse than originally thought. In fact, our source claims that almost 75% of those sent out actually bricked the phones. Also, the reason that none of us actually know anyone in that test group, was simply because they tested it on VZW employees only.
This week, all signs point to Big Red attacking again with another 1,000 updates starting Wednesday (3/24). If all goes well, they will roll out the 200,000 per day batches on Friday and for the next few days after until finished.
And while everyone is usually pretty quick to dismiss Moto or VZW reps, here is a little added confirmation we received from Motorola this morning:
Kell B: Hey Leandro! Just wondering if I’ll be receiving the Android 2.1 update on my Droid this Wednesday or Friday?
Leandro P.: Let me help you with this
Leandro P.: The Android 2.1 upgrade for Droid by Motorola is being deployed to a small number of Verizon Wireless test users. It is expected that the broader phased rollout to all Droid users will begin shortly thereafter. But we do not know when you will be receiving the update.
Kell B: So this Wednesday it will go out to a small number?
Leandro P.: Yes, it will not be sent to all of the users at once.
Kell B: Thats good to know. I hope this test goes better than last week’s!
Leandro P.: We all hope so.
So does this mean we let Bitfone off the hook now? If it’s bricking phones, does that mean they are attempting to mess with the bootloader which would mean no more rooting? Interesting stuff for sure.
Everyone cross their fingers that Wednesday’s batch goes as planned and we should be swimming in 2.1 by this weekend or early next week. Or as Leandro so eloquently put it, “We all hope so.”

Aluminum21

Reaction score

Normally when you get tipped off to update rumors, you tend to turn the other way as to not get too excited over something that is likely about 5% true, but when you get it from multiple people in just a short amount of time, you start diggin’ deeper.
As we all know now, last week’s set of 1,000 test updates did not go so well, but we’re hearing now that it was worse than originally thought. In fact, our source claims that almost 75% of those sent out actually bricked the phones. Also, the reason that none of us actually know anyone in that test group, was simply because they tested it on VZW employees only.
This week, all signs point to Big Red attacking again with another 1,000 updates starting Wednesday (3/24). If all goes well, they will roll out the 200,000 per day batches on Friday and for the next few days after until finished.
And while everyone is usually pretty quick to dismiss Moto or VZW reps, here is a little added confirmation we received from Motorola this morning:
Kell B: Hey Leandro! Just wondering if I’ll be receiving the Android 2.1 update on my Droid this Wednesday or Friday?
Leandro P.: The Android 2.1 upgrade for Droid by Motorola is being deployed to a small number of Verizon Wireless test users. It is expected that the broader phased rollout to all Droid users will begin shortly thereafter. But we do not know when you will be receiving the update.
So does this mean we let Bitfone off the hook now? If it’s bricking phones, does that mean they are attempting to mess with the bootloader which would mean no more rooting? Interesting stuff for sure.
Everyone cross their fingers that Wednesday’s batch goes as planned and we should be swimming in 2.1 by this weekend or early next week. Or as Leandro so eloquently put it, “We all hope so.”

sounds good, hopefully sooner then later

Isaiah

Reaction score

sounds good, hopefully sooner then later
than**

This doesn't seem so legitimate to me, the rep kinda just seemed like a "yes man" to get kell off the chat as soon as possible. I don't know if i'd count that as a confirmation. Does anybody know the sources for the other info? because I haven't heard any of it before.

joshuaclee

Reaction score
Ok - nothing official, or really anything at all about the OTA update. But I went to the VZ store b/c of a problem with my phone, they just gave me a "like new" one - nothing exciting. However, the rep at the store had a test version of 2.1 on his phone that was running AWESOME, with live wallpapers AND the 3D launcher AND 7 home screens. I know there are 3d party apps that can accomplish all of this (nevermind rooting), but I thought it was neat. Hopefully, this update will finally take place soon (which I am pretty pumped about) and another update just for DROID users will give us these extra features! Eat it Nexus

TimChgo9

Reaction score
Ok - nothing official, or really anything at all about the OTA update. But I went to the VZ store b/c of a problem with my phone, they just gave me a "like new" one - nothing exciting. However, the rep at the store had a test version of 2.1 on his phone that was running AWESOME, with live wallpapers AND the 3D launcher AND 7 home screens. I know there are 3d party apps that can accomplish all of this (nevermind rooting), but I thought it was neat. Hopefully, this update will finally take place soon (which I am pretty pumped about) and another update just for DROID users will give us these extra features! Eat it Nexus

Uh huh, yeah, tell me another one. 2.1 is officially only going to have 3 home screens, no 3D launcher.....That was in the release from Verizon....

Can we just stop with the repeating what Verizon reps have to say... They don't know, because they are not in the loop.

joshuaclee

Reaction score
@Tim,
Sorry if I mislead you. I know what the release said, and I fully expect the current update to be limited to those features. But, I SAW these other features running on HIS droid - he called it a pilot release. I am NOT trying to say that this update will have the 3D launcher and 7 screens, but rather suggest that it is in the works for a possible future update.
Hope that clears up any confusion

TimChgo9

Reaction score
@Tim,
Sorry if I mislead you. I know what the release said, and I fully expect the current update to be limited to those features. But, I SAW these other features running on HIS droid - he called it a pilot release. I am NOT trying to say that this update will have the 3D launcher and 7 screens, but rather suggest that it is in the works for a possible future update.
Hope that clears up any confusion

Sorry to have misread.. :)

ihaveadroid

Reaction score
Has anyone seen "iRobot" with Will Smith? Well the 2.1 update will turn your phone into an actual droid...and it will make long distance phone calls to Havana...but it's on Google Voice so that wouldn't actually be that bad...

ricepuddin

Reaction score
So i woke up this morning for PT and saw a triangle with an (!) in it... I went into geek mode... It was a Google voice update :mad:

Nick177th

Reaction score
So i woke up this morning for PT and saw a triangle with an (!) in it... I went into geek mode... It was a Google voice update :mad:

I know right. That one got me too. LOL! It was like the phone was saying, "PSYCH". I had to chuckle at myself.