1. DroidForums.net is currently undergoing a major software upgrade. If you are experiencing any problems logging in please: Contact Us

Newly Rooted & ROM Installed--Should I Partition SD?

Discussion in 'ChevyNo1' started by rchusid, Aug 1, 2011.

1. rchusid

rchusid New Member

I just rooted my original Droid over the weekend. The Chevy1 custom ROM is the first one I've used. (Actually I did load one other custom ROM first but the Droid became very sluggish so I changed to this one).

So far things seem to be working decently. Battery life is reduced, but I assume from what I've read here that installing one of the kernals here will fix that. I have downloaded several based upon comments here as to which different people have had good results with.

I'm wondering if I should partition the SD card. Searching around I read about doing this primarily for the purpose of loading programs to SD in a new partition. I note that this ROM lets many programs go into SD which previously did not, so I wonder if there is still a reason to set up new partitions.

If there is a benefit, what settings should I use?

If this is a borderline issue, I have a new micro SD card ordered which I will receive tomorrow. I figure that if I'm going to have to repartition a SD card, this is the time to do it as I would only have to copy data from the current card to the new, as opposed to doing a full backup, repartition, and then copy everything back. Therefore if there is a reason to set up new partitions, tomorrow is the day to do it.
  2. metalspring

metalspring New Member

Partitioning the sdcard is somewhat complicated...Im still not 100% sure of the best way to do it and how to choose how to partition (ext2, ext3, ext4)
    I just used rom manager to partition mine but I still can't figure how to move the apps to the partition, so if anyone knows/ has links to help that'd be great

Anyway, that being said...partitioning the sdcard is primarily used for moving apps there because the regular apps2sd (the one you can use right from manage applications) has a few issues such as whenever the sdcard is mounted with USB storage on a computer those apps moved to the sd are unusable...the other main issue is after a reboot the homescreen can load very slowly as the sdcard is being checked for errors and the launcher often has to force close once because of that
    Moving apps to a partition on the sdcard fixes those issues

Sent from my DROID using DroidForums
  3. rchusid

rchusid New Member

Neither is essential but both are of value. I typically use dropbox to move files to the SD card (assuming they aren't too big) but it might be useful to be able to have the phone plugged into the USB port when at the office if everything still worked. Then I'd be able to add files whenever I think of it as easily as moving files on a pc.

Cutting down on that long delay in the launcher showing all the icons on booting up would also be great.

Now, if only someone could explain exactly how to accomplish this.
  4. metalspring

metalspring New Member

I partitioned my sdcard with rom manager but, like I said I'm not sure its the best way and there are a couple free market apps you could try to move the apps to the partition with- simple2ext and a darktremors app (just look at related apps for simple2ext) oh and make sure to mount ext2 ,ext3 ,and ext4 in Chevy tools and make a backup in recovery before trying to move the apps

Btw I tried the simple2ext but it didn't work right for me, but I was trying to move a ton of apps AND a few other things too...I'm about to try again with just the apps and I'll let you know

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums
    Last edited: Aug 1, 2011
  5. rchusid

rchusid New Member

ext2, ext3, and ext4?? I take this to mean that it is necessary to make three partitions beyond the main one? Why are three needed? What sizes should they be?
  6. metalspring

metalspring New Member

No, they are just different formats of partitions...I meant if you use rom manager to partition your sd you should mount them all because Im not sure which format it uses...I've heard its ext3 but I'm not positive (ext3 is the most widely used)

7. rchusid

rchusid New Member

I'm in the midst of searching on this. I also got the impression that ext3 is most commonly used. I'm also finding some which talk about a separate cache partition which speeds up the Droid, but it looks like only some ROMS handle this. Do you know if the ROM from Chevy1 uses such a cache.
  8. javaman70

javaman70 New Member

For moving apps to the SD card I use link2sd which is free in the market and has major support in the xda forums.

Sent from my Droid
  9. metalspring

metalspring New Member

Well I think I got it working, just use rom manager with clockworkmod recovery to partition your sdcard (unless you know a better way) then download the A2SD darktremor app and download and flash the darktremor scripts in recovery -leave it as a .zip file-
    (I'll post the link in a few minutes)
    Upon flashing the script it'll automatically move all non system apps to the partition (folder is /sd-ext) and it will take a really long time rebooting
    The app will allow you to move other things to the sdcard and back
    However there are 2 important points
    1. After you partition your sdcard and before you flash the script MAKE A BACKUP IN RECOVERY
    2. If there are any apps you wish to be 100% sure load up immediately (market downloaded launcher like launcherpro-
    before flashing the script use root explorer and go to the folder /data/app and find the app you want, select move, then go to the /system/app folder and paste it in there, run fix permissions script and reboot

Here's the link to the script to flash in recovery
    http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=715116
    Last edited: Aug 2, 2011
  10. rchusid

rchusid New Member

"just use rom manager with clockworkmod recovery to partition your sdcard:

Did you only create an ext3 partition? Do you know anything about also creating a partition to be used as a cache? (Ive seen comments on this doing searches but have not found any information as to whether it works with this ROM and whether rom manager/clockworkmod recovery will do this.

In the examples I've found, people were making the partitions, including the cache, with a downloaded program on their pc, but that doesn't necessarily mean that rom manager/clockworkmod recover can't do this.
  11. zachdroid

zachdroid New Member

+1. Link2sd is a great free program. Allows you to run Widgets on apps that were moves. You can't do that just moving the app to the card.

12. rchusid

rchusid New Member

I've bookmarked so many sites between rooting, installing custom ROM, reading about kernals, and now partitioning SD that it is getting hard to find everything I read about each detail. I also fear that the bookmarks I'm looking for were on a different computer than the one I have available now. I'm trying to find more on the idea I mentioned above re using a cache on SD to speed things up. I can't find the sites yet which mention the most about it, but now from others it looks like it might actually have been creating a linux swap file on the SD. If that is the case, my questions above should be changed to whether this ROM handles this and whether using rom manager will work to create this.

Some of the sites I've searched out are also saying to optionally convert ext 3 to ext 4. Would ext 4 be better (and does this ROM handle it)?
  13. metalspring

metalspring New Member

You mean like this? -
    [​IMG]

Just get your ext3 partition made and use the app simple2ext and you can move apps, dalvik cache, and download cache all to the same partition (actually it automatically creates folders for that in /sd-ext)

14. rchusid

rchusid New Member

No, I think it was something different they were talking about. I'll have to see if I can find the sites again (and if I can't find anything more on it, perhaps it is not something which others found to work).
  15. rchusid

rchusid New Member

Now my plans to set up the other SD card which arrived today have been delayed by a new problem. When I tried to go to ROM Manager to do another backup before doing anything else, the program crashed. When I try to reinstall (either from the market or directly downloading the program) I get an error message claiming there is insufficient memory. There is plenty of memory present, so something else must have gotten messed up.
  16. metalspring

metalspring New Member

Clear market data and cache, if that doesn't work clear both again and delete the .android_secure folder on the sdcard and immediately reboot

17. rchusid

rchusid New Member

Something else strange. I just went in to clear the Market data. The clear data button is greyed out, so I can't. (I had already emptied all app caches so that is empty). I'll try the other method.
  18. rchusid

rchusid New Member

.android_secure won't change names or delete. The folder is empty (unless there are some sort of hidden files in there).
  19. metalspring

metalspring New Member

Use root explorer and go to /data/data/com.vending and delete everything in it (same as clearing app data from settings)

20. rchusid

rchusid New Member

I couldn't find a com.vending directory but perhaps I already had deleted it.

First I used Titanium backup to delete the data. Later I tried deleting the entire program and data, and then reinstalling the app only. It still won't load. Could there be remnants of the old ROM Manager program still around somewhere preventing it from reinstalling?
Search tags for this page
how many hours does it take to partition sd card with rom ma
how to create partition on sd card from rom manager
how to partition an sd card using rom manager
how to partition sd card using rom manager
how to partition sd card with rom manager
how to partition sd card with rom manager android
how to partition your sd card with rom manager

partition sd card rom manager

partition sd card using rom manager
partition sd card with rom manager

partitioning sd card with rom manager