Newly Rooted, Need Some Help

Discussion in 'Android Hacks and Help' started by DylC32A, Jan 12, 2011.

1. DylC32A

DylC32A Member

Ratings:
    +0
    So I finally decided to take the plunge and root. I've been reading for hours now and I finally understand most of the root process, ROMs, kernels, etc. There is still one thing though I'm unclear about and don't know exactly how to search for it.

I want to install a new ROM, but I don't want all my Apps to be erased if i have to wipe my data (Do I? I'm currently still on 2.2.1 stock but rooted). I downloaded Titanium Backup and I'm using SPRecovery. I already did a Nandroid backup, but my question is this:

How do I use Titanium Backup to save my Apps before I flash the new ROM? And will this save all my apps when i'm ready to flash? And is using Titanium Backup or any backup program even necessary? I'm still very confused! Any help would be GREATLY appreciated. Thanks in advance.

2. spaz33g

spaz33g Rescue Squad Rescue Squad

Ratings:
    +0
    You'll use titanium backup to backup all your apps before flashing a rom and then once you finish the flash you'll use titanium to restore them once again.

tappin and a talkin

3. DylC32A

DylC32A Member

Ratings:
    +0
    So do I have to select every item listed to backup or just the apps?
    Does that include all the stock Google apps as well?
    And once this is done, I move titanium to the SD card and then what do I do on startup?

4. spaz33g

Ratings:
    +0
    What you really need to worry about is the user apps. Your rom should cover all system apps. So you will do a batch backup of all user apps and then flash your rom. After its all done and you boot back up you'll reload titanium and do a batch restore.

tappin and a talkin

5. DylC32A

DylC32A Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Thank you SO much, spaz. Very helpful info.

One last thing, so I don't need to worry about any of the system data stuff? And do I need to do a nandroid backup after every new ROM I flash?

6. spaz33g

Ratings:
    +0
    Do a nandroid of your stock setup for sure but the only need to do a nandroid after flashing a new rom is if you think you may flashing a new rom and want to restore it. No I don't worry about system apps when backing up stuff but I do export all my contacts to the SD just in case and occasionally my SMS gets backed up as well.

tappin and a talkin

7. DylC32A

DylC32A Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Sorry one last thing. When I back up an App, say notepad that has notes stored in it, will the doing the backup save the notes and the app or just the app itself while not saving whats inside of it?