Newest Samsung update broke my speaker

Joe Droid

Reaction score
After the latest Samsung update, my S5's speaker no longer works. Well, it does work, but it's no louder than the regular speaker.

Anybody else have this issue ... if so, have you fixed and how?

cr6

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.dronewolfmedia.com
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S7 Edge
Twitter
@dronewolfmedia
Sorry to hear that Joe!
I'm not sure what you mean by "its no louder than the regular speaker". An update shouldn't make your speaker louder than it originally was. Can you give us a little more insight on this?
I may simply be misinterpreting what you're trying to say.

S5 tap'n

OP
Joe Droid

Joe Droid

Reaction score
Ok, perhaps the "not such an expert" is coming out in me. Wherever the "speaker is" which I thought the speaker was on the back of the bottom of the phone, it is working but isn't any louder than the regular "ear" speaker. It seems to work ok when viewing videos, etc. But when using it as a "phone" (go figure, I actually use it to communicate) I use the speaker all the time, as my old tired ears don't function so well. It's actually "less loud" when I put it up to my ear than the standard "ear" speaker.

I hope that made some sense.

cr6

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.dronewolfmedia.com
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S7 Edge
Twitter
@dronewolfmedia
That helps , thanks for explaining.
Your main speaker is on the back bottom of the phone. It plays your media and is also used for your speakerphone. The speaker on the front at the top of the phone is ONLY used for calls. Your sound from a phone call will switch to the back rear speaker....but only when you turn on the speaker phone option.

That being said, which update are you on? NI2 is what I'm on, NK2 is the latest, so something may have changed that I'm not aware of. Hopefully another S5 user can give us their input with the latest update.

S5 tap'n

OP
Joe Droid

Joe Droid

Reaction score
Yes, I'm on NK2. Hopefully, others have the update and can reply with whether or not they were affected.

Not only does my speaker not work while making phone calls, friends I call say they hear a pronounced echo when I enable the speaker ... which doesn't make any sense to me.

OP
Joe Droid

Joe Droid

Reaction score
Ok, it's working again. I had restarted the phone several times hoping that would fix it, but it didn't. Out of desperation, I did a complete shut down and then restarted it. That did it! It's working again. I know that doesn't make any sense, but at this point I don't care!