1. DroidForums.net is currently undergoing a major software upgrade. If you are experiencing any problems logging in please: Contact Us

Newest Nexus One Review on Endgadget

Discussion in 'Android Smart Phones' started by cereal killer, Jan 4, 2010.

1. cereal killer

cereal killer DF Administrator Staff Member

I'm assuming this article is going to make a lot of people that were highly anticipating the devices arrival a little unsettled and even upset.

Especially reading this statement:

It's a good Android phone, but not the last word -- in fact, if we had to choose between this phone or the Droid right now, we would lean towards the latter.

Here is the complete comprehensive review.

Nexus One review -- Engadget
  2. darreno1

darreno1 New Member

Yeah I just read that and was more surprised by their almost complete about turn than their results. Looks like the hype blew over and reality sunk in. Don't get me wrong, the n1 is an excellent upgrade for someone who already has t-mobile and is happy or someone in a t-mobile area with good coverage, but as an upgrade to the droid, it's kinda iffy. They also brought up a good point regarding the physical keyboard. Even if no one uses it for data entry, it's still useful for certain games.
  3. DroidxRage

DroidxRage New Member

Glad I didn't wait... still reading but the consensus is that it was a little bit overhyped.

Dont get me wrong, still a nice phone, just not "superior in every way" like some had toted. I'll keep my droid and physical keyboard though. :)
  4. DroidxRage

DroidxRage New Member

Choice quotes from the article comparing N1 to Droid:

"The phone is fast, assuredly, but not so much of a leap up from the Droid that we felt it kept pace with the boost we were expecting"

"it doesn't touch the Droid in terms of call clarity and evenness."

"While the resolution is high (480 x 800), it's missing 48 pixels that we expected given the size of the Droid's screen. It didn't bother us that much, but it's noticeable in certain apps"

"Like most screens of this type (AMOLED), the Nexus One is a nightmare to see with any kind of bright light around"

Basically everything they liked was a feature of android 2.1, most of which I have already ported to my droid anyhow.

2.1 gallery... check
    2.1 music... check
    2.1 launcher... check

:)
  5. 640k

640k New Member

i, for one, am glad it's staying on the GSM market. i only hope that moto keeps the DROID design and only makes it better and faster. i initially was skeptical of the hard edges and offset screen/keyboard layout, but I've come to love it.

long live DROID!

:D
  6. Groucho

Groucho New Member

No physical keyboard, no sale.
  7. myriad46

myriad46 New Member

Did anybody see that on the browser test, he has both Android phones with their wifi turned on, but seemingly not connected, adding to the phones confusion with handling data. Also, the Droid only has 1 bar of service!!!! Isn't engaget supposed to be a fairly tech-smart website. What an iphone-lover!!!
  8. rjsurfer

rjsurfer New Member

Google is in a funny position they CAN"T make the Nexus that good or that cheap without upsetting the rest of the cell phone players, like Verizon who don't run on GSM and have a lot invested in the Android operating system.

In the long run though Google is going to be the number 1 mobile data player.
    Ron W.
  9. JayMonster

JayMonster New Member

Nexus One was a middle of the road affordable (relatively) phone. The Hallmark of HTC.

The only thing I found surprising was Google went ahead with this (I believe) ill conceived plan. This was their big "we design it from the ground up" phone? Really? I think PC World said it best when it basically called it the next version of the MyTouch.
  10. Extrapolateer

Extrapolateer New Member

Can't lose sight of the fact that 95% of Google's revenue is from advertising. IMHO, the Nexus is just one of many means to that end for them. I don't think they want to be a phone company. The last interview I saw with Google boss Eric Schmidt, just after the Droid debut, he admitted he preferred the iPhone. I tried the iPhone before I decided on my Droid and found it too much like a toy. I prefer the shape and feel of the Droid. Nexus appears to be more like the iPhone form factor than the Droid is. Also, if Google eventually does market the Nexus through Vodafone, that's a lot of potential international ad business for them.:greendroid:
  11. JayMonster

JayMonster New Member

@Extrapolateer now taking the advertising into account, what would have been interesting would have been Google finding a way to make this phone free (or at least cheap), supported through advertising. (though I guess then it would have to be under some sort of contract to ensure they pushed enough advertising to offset the cost of the device)
  12. Extrapolateer

Extrapolateer New Member

Good points. In addition, I suspect there would be a political price to pay if the phones were free. Competitors would not be happy. Probably not in Google's long-term interests to bite the hands that help make and market their phones.
  13. JayMonster

JayMonster New Member

Wouldn't affect those that make the phones... they would still get paid, the consumer cost would just go down based on the ad revenue (much the same way phones are subsidized by contract now). So (in theory) somebody like VZW could pick up part of the subsidy based on what they make on contract, Google picks up a piece based on the ad revenue (with a constant rotating banner on the bottom of the phone), and the consumer would get a "free" phone.