Newest CM Nightly GB kernel

JSM9872

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S22+
No problem!! I use it to help me determine if it is worth upgrading from nightly to nightly, just haven't needed it lately.

OP
C

ColinZack

Reaction score
So with the new google music app update, my music was actually playing. Some song had an error and I read that you should restart your phone to get it to work. After restarting my phone, it would force close upon trying to play any music. This is kind of annoying since once the music started playing I deleted the local music.

zero7404

Reaction score
i think it's time to update my CM build to the latest version, if i proceed by just installing the zip file, will my settings be preserved or must i again do a data reset ?

Nemo Aeternamn

Droid X Rescue Squad
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
i think it's time to update my CM build to the latest version, if i proceed by just installing the zip file, will my settings be preserved or must i again do a data reset ?

just to make sure I understand what your making.... Your going to update from the froyo bulls to the ginger builds....
As of yet... You'll need to back up everything... Sbf to 602... Then you'll be where you can flash

We have nothing to fear but running out of beer

zero7404

Reaction score
just to make sure I understand what your making.... Your going to update from the froyo bulls to the ginger builds....
As of yet... You'll need to back up everything... Sbf to 602... Then you'll be where you can flash

We have nothing to fear but running out of beer

no, i am already running cm 7.1.0, it was i believe build 130-something. i dl'd the latest one, but it aborts when i try to install it in cw recovery.

so i'm just looking to update my CM 7.1 to the latest build. i installed CM 7.1 on top of moto's 605 stock build.

JSM9872

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S22+
no, i am already running cm 7.1.0, it was i believe build 130-something. i dl'd the latest one, but it aborts when i try to install it in cw recovery.

so i'm just looking to update my CM 7.1 to the latest build. i installed CM 7.1 on top of moto's 605 stock build.

Ok I am confused by this statement. According to this you are on the official nightlies but you say you installed it on .605? For the official ones you should have needed to be on froyo .340, unless something has changed recently.

Just trying to figure out which it is the official or unofficial builds you are using.

zero7404

Reaction score
Ok I am confused by this statement. According to this you are on the official nightlies but you say you installed it on .605? For the official ones you should have needed to be on froyo .340, unless something has changed recently.

Just trying to figure out which it is the official or unofficial builds you are using.

what i did to my phone is described in the following link under the 'for gingerbread kernel rom' topic, just so you can get a background.

[How-To] Installing Cm4Dx Or Cm4Dxgb - RootzWiki

now what i wish to do is get the newest nightly running. if i have to go back to 605, that's fine, but i'd rather not lose all the customization/settings i changed after i installed CM 7.1.

edit: i see what i'm doing wrong, i am not using the gb builds listed in the link in step 4. i was getting the nightlies from cyanogen's site. those must be for froyo. so i see what you're saying now...

Last edited:

JSM9872

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S22+
...edit: i see what i'm doing wrong, i am not using the gb builds listed in the link in step 4. i was getting the nightlies from cyanogen's site. those must be for froyo. so i see what you're saying now...

Yup that is what I was trying to figure out. With the correct files you should be fine. And I have never been a fan of doing it but I know many people flash nightlies of CM without doing the full data wipe which means you would not lose all your settings if you do it that way. Typicsally they just wipe cache, dalvik cache, and I have seen it recommended you wipe data on CM settings too. I always do a full wipe no matter what I install though.

zero7404

Reaction score
Yup that is what I was trying to figure out. With the correct files you should be fine. And I have never been a fan of doing it but I know many people flash nightlies of CM without doing the full data wipe which means you would not lose all your settings if you do it that way. Typicsally they just wipe cache, dalvik cache, and I have seen it recommended you wipe data on CM settings too. I always do a full wipe no matter what I install though.

i loaded up the latest gingerbread build, i wiped the caches and dalvik, i left data alone. but i'm unable to determine if it installed completely, i don't see any changes in the about section. it still says 7.1.0

brad92

Silver Member
Reaction score
In the about section, it should say CyanogenMod-7.1.0-DROIDX-KANG

X

zero7404

Reaction score
it says that now but it also said that when i was on the previous build. maybe the build numbers roll between CM versions ?

JSM9872

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S22+
Yeah it is going to say that for all the GB builds, I flashed most of them and it always did. I never payed attention to the build number to see if that changes. If it resembles anything of the same date then I would say look at that.

I haven't flashed a build in a while because I do not think there have been any new ones for around 2 weeks or so.

zero7404

Reaction score
Yeah it is going to say that for all the GB builds, I flashed most of them and it always did. I never payed attention to the build number to see if that changes. If it resembles anything of the same date then I would say look at that.

I haven't flashed a build in a while because I do not think there have been any new ones for around 2 weeks or so.

from the looks of things, nov. 5 was the last GB build release. but i originally loaded up CM 7.1 on my phone in oct., so i figured to update my device. i think it worked because i noticed one or 2 things that i messed with in CM settings that went back to the default when i started up after installing.

JSM9872

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S22+
from the looks of things, nov. 5 was the last GB build release. but i originally loaded up CM 7.1 on my phone in oct., so i figured to update my device. i think it worked because i noticed one or 2 things that i messed with in CM settings that went back to the default when i started up after installing.

Yeah to the best of my knowledge that is the latest build. And it sounds like it probably did install properly. If I flash back to it I will double check to see if there is a more definitive way to tell which build it is. Without running it I just don't remember what info, if anything, gets changed in the about phone section.