1. You want that $100.00 in your pocket or an Amazon Fire TV don't you? Well here's the deal. With our new updated look we are in desperate need of an updated logo. The 'old' one has certainly served us well, but it's time. Find all the details here: bit.ly/1q0k6Wa
  2. DroidForums.net is currently undergoing a major software upgrade. If you are experiencing any problems logging in please: Contact Us

newbies, get the most from ur droid experience

Discussion in 'Android Hacks and Help' started by jrodroidpro, Apr 7, 2011.

1. jrodroidpro

jrodroidpro New Member

:r_c:
    ok, i admit the title was a bit deceptve. but i wanted to make sure you got both sides of the equation. at the risk of sounding like a broken record, i opted to update my sig to reflect this disclaimer:

to those with sig lines disabled or those viewing on an app that blocks signatures, this is how my sig reads.
    :soapbox:
    i know im not making many friends or winning popularity contest by railing so hard against rooting, but its a can of worms you should avoid. there are plenty of ways to mod your phone or make it more efficient without rooting your device. the manufacturers are against it and even though its your phone, your using it under a carrier's service agreement, which explicitly forbids rooting more often then not. updates become an issue, shotty roms become an issue, erronius scripts become an issue, proper app running becomes an issue. its not worth it, imo! do it if u want but dont claim you werent warned. some say its harmless, as you can flash back to original stock and reset, but that doesnt guarantee your provider wont be able to track what you have done. my advice... modify your phone with superuser permissions all you want. but once the milk is spilled....
    :icon_censored:
    :work1:
    Last edited: Apr 7, 2011
  2. enyalius

enyalius New Member

I agree that strong warnings are in order, but I don't think it's as doom and gloom as you make it seem. I have rooted four of the four Android phones I have owned, and have not encountered any issues due to doing so.

For me, rooting was a reason to get Android. If I wanted to be a part of a system that dictates exactly what I can and cannot do with my hardware, I would own an iPhone. I enjoy exploring custom ROMs, overclocking my device and just experimenting to make my phone better.

In my opinion, this restrictive mentality that the manufacturers are adopting is both angering and terrifying. Windows, OS X, Linux, and others allow administrative/root permissions. Why then have Motorola, Samsung, HTC and others decided that we need to be treated like children when it comes to our phones?

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk
    Last edited: Apr 7, 2011
  3. jrodroidpro

jrodroidpro New Member

i can appreciate your desire to overclock and use custom roms. i myself am a tweak freak. but many users do more damage than gain benefit while rooting. im glad you have not. as far as my doom and gloom goes, in the past you are right. rooting was a more forgiveable offense. this, however, is quickly becoming a thing of the past. they are cracking down. while it remains relatively easy to do, it is quickly losing its benign status. i fear for those newbies who are gonna get more than they bargained for by doing it. no, i fear everyone will be hurt in the near future if they choose to root. peace.
  4. spc_hicks09

spc_hicks09 Premium Member Premium Member Developer

All I know is I'm running stock 2.2.2 FRG83G.

I rooted AND overclocked.

However, I bought this phone through a 3rd party and don't have a warranty anyway. I also don't have the Insurance option through Verizon. I know, I know, I'm retarded right? Oh well, my device is faster than it ever could be. According to Benchmark it's faster than a Nexus One running 2.2 (way faster). I can also use it as a wifi hotspot now. I'm happy with my decision to root. You know what they say though, "To each, his own."

Check out the Benchmark for my proof.
  5. NeverEndingXsin

NeverEndingXsin New Member

Okay lets see first off, rooting is 100% legal, so even if they claim in the terms of service that you cant, well you can :)

Secondly, aside from maybe one or two apps not working, they all work perfectly fine, some even work better because you can overclock your phone.

Thirdly, shotty roms? please direct me to some of these shotty roms. Yes there are a few bugs, and the developers tell you that. You get more updates from being rooted than if you were not rooted. Why? because it takes the actual companies months to actually give you a nice update.

Fourthly, yes you can flash back to original stock whenever you want, so if your phone has a problem and needs to be replaced you just flash back and bam your back in business. Can the company tell if you were rooted? No they cant. Can they tell if you didnt accept different updates? Probably but that doesnt prove anything.

And finally, the people who actually have problems when they root there phone and mess around, well 99% of that is USER ERROR because they dont read up on what to do and how to do it. They just do whatever the heck they want and then when something bad happens they freak out. Ive had my phone rooted for over a year, and i have yet to have any of these problems people claim to have.

Okay im done :)
  6. jrodroidpro

jrodroidpro New Member

depending on your carrier, you may still be in violation for rooting... don't count your chickens just yet...
  7. MrNiceGuy

MrNiceGuy New Member

i'd like to hear more opinions on this
  8. jrodroidpro

jrodroidpro New Member

i never, even 1 time, said it was illegal. many things we do are legal. doesnt make them a good idea to do! the manufacturers know but do not like phones being hacked. they are teaming up with carriers to crack down on it. the carriers have their own reasons, namely tethering, but they know this its only accomplished through rooting. rather than picking on just the tethering abusers, they are punishing or promising to punish all root users. i havent spoken 1st hand to anyone whos been pinched, but i hear you can have your service agreement nulled and kicked off the carriers network. all i am giving is a warning. im not forbiding it. no one can. but there are other ways for them to skin a cat. your agreement explicitly outlines what can be done on their network. violate away! its not illegal but neither is denying you network access. yes, user error is usually wht bricks phone, but ive never heard of an unrooted user accomplishing this. imho, the primary error is rooting in the first place.
  9. tcayton49

tcayton49 New Member

You know, someone posted something on the forum about a ruling against Apple that basically said jailbreaking/rooting wasn't illegal. People read bits and pieces of it, and quoted only the parts of it that fit their argument. Other people read those reposts of the partial ruling and ran with it, and now it seems to have exploded on the forum. Please read and understand this and pass it on so people will know what the ruling reallly was. JAILBREAKING/ROOTING IS NOT ILLEGAL. That's it. Apple was trying to get people put in jail for jailbreaking and they lost. There was nothing in the ruling about what companies could or couldn't do to those who root, other than that they could not have them arrested for it. In other words, if they want to void your contract and charge you an ETF for rooting, they absolutely can. They just can't have you arrested for it. Please people, understand that and stop using the argument that its not illegal to mean that carriers can't touch you at all for rooting. They can, they just can't have you arrested for it.
  10. NeverEndingXsin

manufacturers LOVE when people root there phones and then put 'leaked' software on it. They dont have to say it but believe me they do. Its so much easier for them to watch us rooted users test drive there so called leaked software and post the bugs. Its not the manufacturers that want it locked down, its the carriers. The manufacturers dont lose any money if you root your phone and break it because you voided the warranty on it. The carriers get mad because people tether and stuff, but really i dont think people tether as much as they believe we do.

Also, i pay monthly for unlimited data, so what i do with that data is my business, heck i could download files straight to my phone 24/7 and they'd assume i was tethering, even if i wasnt. Rooting is not and never will be a problem. Most people just like having a phone that they can change around (theme it, add stuff to it, etc) When i first got my droid i hated the stupid white notification bar, and that was my main reason for rooting because i wanted to change that.

The phone companies need to just realize that they make so much money, and rooting is not really hurting them.

p.s. ill violate my terms of service all i want, because im not harming anything :)
    Last edited: Apr 9, 2011
  11. 666ogre666

666ogre666 New Member

Thats kind of ridiculous, its almost impossible to brick a D1 and custom roms make it faster, better battery life, more features and look better. Ive been rooted for more then a year and Ive never once wanted to go back to unrooted. While I appreciate that there are some problems in terms of violating TOS but Ive successfuly SBF'd a friends phone back to stock when his screen started going and they accepted it and had no idea that it had ever been rooted.
  12. spc_hicks09

spc_hicks09 Premium Member Premium Member Developer

This is how rumors get started. Just like the other guy that made a post saying and I quote "Google is going to start releasing software that can track rooted users to stop them from tethering." Seriously !?! Come on guys. The fact is, just like someone else in this thread said. There's no real way to do anything to someone for "tethering." The reason for this is because they can't prove you're tethering!! For all they know, you could be downloaded stuff through your phone. I'll admit, I tether mine every now and then, usually when I'm at airports and see that a ROM has been updated and I want to download it lol. Conspiracies and rumors need to stop. Quit posting what "might" happen or what "could" happen and post facts. The fact is, they don't know for a fact that you're tethering. It would cost them more money to find all the tethering people than it would to just let it happen. Also, like someone else said, I pay my extra $30 a month for unlimited data so I'll tether as much as I want. It's unlimited for a reason!
  13. NeverEndingXsin

I agree with what the guy above me said :)
Search tags for this page

how to make my droid pro faster

the most efficient way to jailbreak my droid incredible