Newbie to Rooting and ROMS

Discussion in 'Android Hacks and Help' started by tbuz, Feb 6, 2011.

DroidForums.net is the premier Android Forum - Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
  1. tbuz

tbuz New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Ok all, forgive me for dumb questions.

1. Rooted my Droid 1
    2. Installed ROM Manager
    3. Backed up current ROM with said program
    4. Flashed ClockworkMod Recovery
    5. Phone boots and starts up normally but when I boot into recovery mode (hold down the x key) I just get a triangle with a yellow exclamation mark?
    6. I am really ignorant and don't even have a clue as to what is or isn't wrong.
    7. I originally was trying to learn how to flash a custom rom.
  2. huskerkate

huskerkate Premium Member Premium Member

Ratings:
    +10
    CWM can be glitchy. one thing to consider is flashing Raidzero's new recovery - it is modded from SPR, but has all the features (and more) of CWM: http://www.droidforums.net/forum/ra...-based-update-zips-battery-charging-more.html

otherwise, if you want to make CWM work, go into RM, select "flash alternate recovery." when you get a successful install message, this means you now have SPR as your recovery. then scroll back up in RM, and select "Flash ClockworkMod Recovery." if you get a successful install message within 3-5 seconds, this usually means CWM "took." if not, repeat the process until you do. then try to boot into recovery. if it doesn't work, then you need to repeat the above process until you can get into recovery - it can take 3, 4, 5, tries...
  3. debay777

debay777 New Member

Ratings:
    +0

on #5- you can get to boot recovery inside the clockwork mod without using the x/power key. if you do use the x/power key, when you get the triangle its time to hit the volume up and camera button. that opens the directory. Im very new myself and barely know more than you but try this. worked for me.

How To: Load a Custom ROM on Your Android Phone (After Any One Click Root Methods) | TheUnlockr
  4. cupfulloflol

cupfulloflol Senior Member

Ratings:
    +22
    This sounds like a case of FRS. http://www.droidforums.net/forum/dr...-feature-undo-custom-recovery-partitions.html <-- you don't need to follow steps if you plan on installing a custom ROM. This was just more of a link of what FRS is.

If I am right, you should still be rooted. Which would mean you should be able to use ROM manager, just like you originally did to flash Clockwork before. Reboot into recovery and install your ROM of choice. Most (all?) ROMs should break the FRS feature, if not how to manually disable it is in the link above.