Newbie to root

Discussion in 'Android Hacks and Help' started by Yanik, Dec 29, 2010.

1. Yanik

Yanik New Member

Some of my friends have there phones rooted.. they say it runs better and have never been more pleased . How do I root my Droid 1 ? Sounds silly to ask but just wanna be able to so more with this phone.

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums App
  2. jimmydene84

jimmydene84 New Member

Before u attempt anything READ, READ, READ! Make sure u completly understand what and how to do! I suggest the" root droid 1 regardless of O.S." thread just search and u will find it :)

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums App
  3. zandersn

zandersn New Member

Questions on Rooting Droid 1

Like Yanik, I want to find out more about this rooting thing. I did a lot of research on extending the battery life for Droid 1 last night and I want to know more. Mainly I want to know:

WHY would I want to root my phone (pros/cons)?

Is this an easy thing to do?

Can it ever be undone (i.e. doing a factory reset)?

Is it possible to screw up the phone to where it is worse off or doesn't work at all?

What are some programs, kernels, etc that I would want to use once rooted?

Is it possible to Tether a rooted phone wirelessly to a laptop to gain access to the internet using data connection (can you give the Droid 1 the Hotspot ability like the Droid 2 or X has)?

Any advice or assistance would be greatly appreciative.
  4. teddyearp

teddyearp New Member

@ zandersn:
    Why? Pros: because you will have more control over your phone, the ability to make your system writable, therefore able to make major and minor tweaks to the overall operation of your phone. Cons: Except for the extensive reading and understanding of the processes BEFORE you do it, ABSOLUTELY NONE!

Easy? It can be, basic computer file management skills are required; the rest depends on how well you read and comprehend the various instructions.

Undone? Yes, but not through a factory data reset.

Screw up? Yes. But the ratio to which you apply the second part of anwer one and all of answer two will have a MAJOR effect on your success or screw up ratio.

Programs, kernels? WAY too many to list here. Search for furbearinganimal's "So now you've rooted" thread for a start.

Wireless (and wired) tethering? Yes.

In short, I've got some stuff at my site, some of which then links back to the best threads at this site, read well and then if you have more questions, ask away.
  5. LaxzBro

LaxzBro New Member

Its should be noted that rooting voids the warrantee, but if you unroot before you give it to em, they'll never be able to tell ;)

Lax bro, closet geek
  6. zandersn

zandersn New Member

Thanks for the info. I think I have a lot of reading to do before I make the plunge. I guess I am scared that I just know enough to really screw something up. If I have any more questions that come to mind, I will be sure to send you a PM. Thanks again.
Search tags for this page

root droid ultra newbie