Newbie questions about droid charge

Discussion in 'Samsung Droid Charge' started by salilsurendran, Aug 31, 2011.

1. salilsurendran

salilsurendran New Member

Hello Friends,
    I recently replaced my iPhone with a Droid Charge and several questions about it:
    1. Location Services: I noticed that if I leave my 'Standalone GPS Services' in my 'Location Services' on then the GPS is switched on all the time and it drains battery power. But if I switch it off then whenever I enter the navigation app it takes to 'Location Services'. Shouldn't it be automatically switching it on/off as needed?
    2. USB Charging: Whenever I charge it from my computer using the mini-USB cable it charges extremely slowly almost at 1% every 15 minutes whereas from a power plug or a car charger it is much faster. What can I do to speed this up?
    3. I liked the text input in the iPhone a lot better where the auto-suggested word would appear near the word being typed. I don't like Swype either. Are there any other text input methodologies that I could use or install which would mimic the iPhone?
    4. How can I set it up such that apps are updated automatically?
    5. I have 4G LTE service. Are there people who are using this as a home internet. What has been their experience with a 5 GB data cap?
  2. CTownDroid

CTownDroid Member

1. No, but it would be nice if ti did.
    2. USB charging is slow and if you are using the phone for nav or Pandora you will see little to no charge while plugged in.
    3. Try "Gingerbread keyboard" from the market. Works well for me.
    4. I'm not sure. Always let the updates get reviews before updating myself. There should be a setting in each app that allows auto updating.
    5. That's not what it's designed for, but if it works.......
    Last edited: Aug 31, 2011
  3. travisn000

travisn000 New Member

Last edited: Aug 31, 2011
  4. spdivr1122

spdivr1122 New Member

I don't have time to answer all of these but for number 3 download gingerbread keyboard in the market. Works way better. And congrats on getting rid of the iPhone

Sent from my SCH-I510 using DroidForums
  5. bweN diorD

bweN diorD Well-Known Member

5. i do that but i use the hotspot and i dont have a cap, im guessing your a new subscriber, works good though but you have to keep the phone plugged in the hotspot will kill your battery in a couple hours if you dont.
  6. dgphotog

dgphotog New Member

Speech-to-Text User Interface

I'm not surprised that no one mentioned this. Whenever I run into an Android user, I ask if they're aware of it. 9 times out of 8, the answer is no - and I explain how to use it.

Personally, I find the microphone speech-to-text interface truly magical and the strongest (among others) reason to stay with Android. The microphone is always there whenever a keyboard appears for input. Click on it and try it. Even in relatively high background noise situations, as long as you speak right into the mic (which is at the bottom center rim of the Charge) and speak distinctly, the accuracy is fairly incredible. I am using it constantly.

I also have the google search bar (google search widget) on my main screen, which has its own mic button. I can say, "Navigate to Dr. Flochtorn's office" (made up name) and it google searches Dr. Flochtorn, finds her address and sets my course (that is if I'm in a 4G area and the GPS actually works). Also works for finding anything else. When you hit that mic button, a screen appears that says "Speak Now." It also has a 'Help' button which shows you all the other pre-set things it will be listening to hear you say.

If at first your accuracy is low - don't give up. Try it a few more times and remember to speak distinctly and directly into the mic. You don't have to yell - in fact if you do, the resultant distortion will probably reduce your accuracy.

Have fun in the Android world. You're going to love it more once you get hooked on the speech-to-text interface. It is always there. Texting, emailing, memo writing, navigating, g-talking... The only time it doesn't work is when you're out of VZW service area, but then we have other issues too, right?
  7. noamrotem

noamrotem Developer Developer

As mentioned above, A.I.type Keyboard (beta and Plus) is available in the market, and if you are looking for powerful text prediction / auto correction - it's probably the best. It's also very customizable and has multiple predefined skins.

It also supports speech to text (and text to speech...).

Noam.
    A.I.type
  8. mattygabe

mattygabe New Member

1. As others have stated, unfortunately it doesn't automatically switch on. Realistically, this could be an issue and especially coming from a Linux-based world, where everything is only done with root's permission (yes, stock you're not root, but you're considered an admin), there could easily be real performance issues if apps could automatically turn components on or off (think of one app saying, "Ok, no more GPS, turning it off now." while another app was still running using that component... Lots of potential problem spots)

2. USB charging is just inherently slow. Use a dedicated wall charger or car charger if your primary objective is to charge that puppy up.

3. Swype is decent - I actually prefer Swype to the Samsung keyboard for hunt-and-peck input - so I suggest you give it another chance later (read on). Before my charge, I had a Moto Droid and was partaking in the Swype Beta. They're currently on version 3.0+, and they've made a TON of improvements to the predictive text and the interface in general, as well as the ability to better manage the user dictionary (what it remembers to predict for you). Going from that version, to what's installed by default on the Froyo Charge, was one of my sticky points. Give Swype another chance when the Charge eventually gets the OTA update to Gingerbread, I've heard they'll update the Swype version which is what I'm most looking forward to.

4. In the app's page in the market, where you have the buttons to Install/Update/Uninstall an app, after the pictures or description there should be a check mark for "Allow automatic updates". Have to have the Market app running in the background for the automatic updates to run periodically.

5. So there are a couple of issues you'll have to be aware of with using your tethered phone as a 4G home internet service:
    -For one, the 5GB data cap can easily be maxed if you're using it as your entire internet, depending on what you do. When you use a full computer desktop or laptop, where a humongous (comparatively to a Charge) screen with the niceties of a full keyboard and mouse make consuming data that much easier
    -Another, you'll have to make sure that you're completely covered with a very strong 4G service area and signal. 4G is great when the signal is strong, but it still suffers the limitations that any wireless service will inherently suffer from - signal strength will lower data speeds, and signals can degrade or cut out unexpectedly, and is less than guaranteed.

All those things considered, if you need it to be your internet service, it can, but it wasn't designed to be so from the ground up, so another method (such as a dedicated hotspot device with its own uncapped service) may work better depending on your usage patterns.
  9. TJF2011

TJF2011 New Member

4. Just a suggestion.. Read the reviews on the updates...updates are not always good..

5. If your really worried about paying for the mobile hotspot... You could try rooting your phone and getting the infamous free mobile hotspot aka wireless tether.

*** GUMMYCHARGED***
Search tags for this page

how do i turn on talk to text on samsung charge

how do i turn on the talk to text“ on my samsung samsung s

how do i turn on voice to text on samsung charge
how to turn on speech to text in droid 4g

location services droid charge

samsung charge text to speech
samsung driod charge ouestions