1. You want that $100.00 in your pocket or an Amazon Fire TV don't you? Well here's the deal. With our new updated look we are in desperate need of an updated logo. The 'old' one has certainly served us well, but it's time. Find all the details here: bit.ly/1q0k6Wa
  2. DroidForums.net is currently undergoing a major software upgrade. If you are experiencing any problems logging in please: Contact Us

Newbie question....did do research before asking

Discussion in 'Android Hacks and Help' started by Talty09, Apr 1, 2010.

1. Talty09

Talty09 New Member

Alright how is it going? I am extremely excited. I purchased my droid last night on amazon wireless for $70 and free 2 day shipping. I have been reading around casually for a couple weeks now and obviously very seriously last night. I know what rooting is so I am not going to ask that dumb question. I am a college graduate with a BS in Computer Science. So I clearly know what I am doing with programming/unix/linux and the nitty gritty of computers. My question is: How easy is it to brick your phone. As in completely broken never to live another day. I have been reading and everybody warns against it. Then, I see stupid idiots asking the dumbest questions. If they didn't know then why attempt? That is leading me to believe someone of my skills can easily root my droid. I notice there are recovery images and everything. I am hoping it isn't easy to brick it because I do not feel like bricking a phone I JUST GOT. I want to root it for the wifi tether first off. Secondly I have always liked full control of my systems. Thank you for your time.
  2. hookbill

hookbill Premium Member Premium Member

:welcome: to the Droid Forum. If you follow the directions it is next to impossible to brick the Droid. With your background I'm sure you will have no issues.
  3. pc747

pc747 Administrator Staff Member

As long as you create a nandroid backup you are good.
  4. Talty09

Talty09 New Member

thanks. i appreciate it. also i see all these different options for roms. i dont want anything crazy. i would love to stick with the stock look feel at least for a little. what would you suggest is the best feature rich and clean (not 16 year old myspace glitter text effects and all that crap).
  5. pc747

pc747 Administrator Staff Member

6. baniels

baniels New Member

Keep your eye on Pete's Bugless Beast iterations. These days they are free of any themes. Just fast and well put together.

Chevy also has nice ROMs under the Simply Stunning name.

I've been using Pete's ROMs for a while and love them (with Chevy's OC kernels).

I expect some new versions will be flowing now that official 2.1 has landed.
  7. reichbc

reichbc New Member

8. LifeIsABeach

LifeIsABeach New Member

Although there have been a lot of "I think I bricked my Droid" threads I don't remember any where the phone was actually bricked.
  9. hogowner

hogowner New Member

"Then, I see stupid idiots asking the dumbest questions."

There are no dumb questions!!!

That statement bothers me....I work with Cisco routers and switches and before I rooted my droid and did a rom update I am one of those idiots you are speaking about!!!!!

That is what this forum is all about..HELPING!!!!!

If you do not want to answer a "dumb question" that is up to you...but 99.99999% of the other members will!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  10. cupfulloflol

cupfulloflol New Member

As far as I know there have been no true brick due to rooting that didn't have some other problem. Busted battery, phone having a run in with gravity, or various other hardware or user problems.

The only time you really do run a chance at bricking your phone is if you flash an .sbf . That is riskier because RSDLite is a terrible program, and just randomly decides to fail. But I don't think I have seen anyone brick their phone using it either, so the chances are extremely slim, but technically they exist.