Newbie Question - Be easy on me

Discussion in 'Android Hacks and Help' started by dredge, Jan 1, 2010.

1. dredge

dredge Member

Ratings:
    +0
    On a Mac or Linux machine, you will have to "cd" to the "Tools" directory, under where ever you put the the "android-sdk-(mac or linux)" folder.
    EX. On a mac you would do the following:

Code:
    cd /Users/yourusername/android-sdk-mac/tools
    (Its prettty much the same on a PC, but there are .bat files to run ADB for you in the "tools" folder)

Now that you can start adb here is how you can use it. I pulled the following from my terminal:

i copied that ^^ off a topic i was readin bout rooting.
    1.cd to tools directory? can someone explain what this means? how do i get this to work? how do i do this? (ive been lurkin for weeks still dont understand :icon_evil:) - how exactlydo i "Cd to tools directory"
    2. "android-sdk-folder" - can someone enlighten me genrally what this is and how to work this
    thankyouall

2. dredge

dredge Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Also, I updated to 2.0.1. Now people are saying 2.1? Am i missing something?

3. Redls1bird

Redls1bird Member

Ratings:
    +0
  4. mammlouk

mammlouk Member

Ratings:
    +0
    To understand what it means to "cd" to a directory I recommend googling for a beginner tutorial on the bash terminal, maybe you can find something specifically for Mac users.

5. samdevor

samdevor Member

Ratings:
    +0
    hahahahahaha this made me laugh out loud, no its not the lazy mans way, 2.0.1 is the current version available from verizon but 2.1 has been ported from the nexus one, googles new phone, dont say something if you arent sure dude. on the forums right now it seems to be split 50-50 from 2.0.1 and 2.1 read up before you post stuff...k? thats all

6. dredge

dredge Member

Ratings:
    +0
    u guys dont have to be smart a's, can u just tell me...

7. Serialkilla

Serialkilla Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Hey bro, don't sweat it - being new to this is not uncommon,and alot of people here are just learning all this stuff too. Don't get frustrated with it, just be patient and search around for tutorials,eventually you'll find what you're looking for. There's a lot of great info here on the site,and I also would check this out too, being that you're new to this, I am a windows user, so I can't tell you how to install for mac or linux, but this tutorial should give you the info to get you started. Good luck with it, and remember - be patient!
    http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=502010

8. dredge

dredge Member

Ratings:
    +0
    i am on windows didnt realize it said linux.
    do i cd to tools directory on computer or the droid itself
    if so how.
    ty :icon_ banana:

9. Bear in NM

Bear in NM Active Member

Ratings:
    +1
    The adb commands are run from the windows command prompt, which is accessed via a couple of different ways depending on which version of windows you are running. In XP, I click on the "start" window which is the lower left main windows toolbar (where you start programs). I see a "run" command/mouse pick. When I click on run, it brings up a command box. Then I type in "cmd", no quotes. This opens the windows command line shell which is similar to linux, etc. You are now executing lines of command in your windows command line shell which use adb to "talk' to the phone if you have previously set up sdl/adb with the correct drivers to allow windows to "see" the phone. The cd commands are simply commands to path your cursor/command prompt to the correct sdk tools directory so the commands will be recognized. For example, when you want to adb push, adb needs to "see" the push command or it will not work. Simply, you need to execute the adb commands where the commands actually sit in your windows file/directory heirarchy.

Craig

10. dredge

dredge Member

Ratings:
    +0
    and to be able to do this i must install android-sdk thing right?

11. hughesjr

hughesjr Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Yes, the android SDK has a tools directory. In the tools directory are some tools (oddly enough :D). One of the tools is adb.

To use adb, you must have your droid plugged into your PC via the USB cable and you have to enable usb debugging in the settings menu from your home screen on the droid.

See this link:

http://www.droidforums.net/forum/droid-hacks/10924-how-adb-windows-made-easy.html

12. dredge

dredge Member

Ratings:
    +0
    thankyyou :icon_ banana: