Newbie needs some help creating a backup/updating to SteelDroid v9.0!

HuStLa420

Reaction score
Hey everyone, just wanted to say hi and that ive been lurking on the forums for awhile reading up and trying to learn as much as possible about rooting, roms, apps, SU privileges etc etc. (I only understand the very basics so far though.) I have a stock rooted droid 3 with steeldroid v3.0 (im almost positive but not 100%, however i did use Pete's OneClickRoot v1.06 if that helps, sorry rooted it over a month ago and have been stock rooted since). I dont have many 'real' apps besides the basics; superuser, rom manager, titanium backup, safestrap 1.04, and RSDlite 4.6 (<<in preperation for the install of SD v9.0!). I have backed up all my apps and data with titanium backup and safestrap and now want to know the next step to flashing the new version of SD, also i have two problems:

**I have never flashed a rom before and was unsuccessful when i tried previously with rom manager (prob not the best way?), but the more important problem im still on system version 5.5.959. So basically if someone could give me detailed instructions on how to:

***Backup/update to 5.6.890, OTA isnt safe with a root i believe? might be a way to do it w/o unrooting and didnt wanna mess anything up im not sure thats why im asking. AND:
***Get SD v9.0 flashed and running successfully on my phone, as well as remove some stock bloatware.
BTW Sorry for the long post! Done as much research as i could understand without trial, just need to do it now thanks to everyone in advance for the tips+links and all the devs/testers/everyone else for working on what looks like a sick rom!! :icon_ lala:

OP
H

HuStLa420

Reaction score
Man, 24 hours and over 100 views and no replies? can i get someone to reply so i can go in the right direction, if not another forum member a mod or dev someone? would really appreachite it, ive been lurkin around the release of the new SteelDroid and i really wanna get my phone going thanks

OP
H

HuStLa420

Reaction score
Oh alright, thanks for setting me straight no wonder i had trouble finding the thread for that sometimes haha, i thought it was just not searching right, but anyway do you think i could get some help with the backup and update problem and then installing SD v3.0? I thought i had it before but i was mistaken, im rooted but on stock rom, fully stock everything besides the few rooted apps i mentioned in my first post. Right after i rooted the OTA update for 5.6.890 came out and i kind of just sat around not using the phone for anything besides stock stuff (and attempted failures to tether data with Barnacle and a few others), after i had got it rooted because i didn't know what to do. Since i still have the stock rom and all the included bloatware do i even have to un root before the update? If not, what are the easiest programs to use?
Some guidance from anyone to take me from my situation now to SDv3.0 would be greatly appreciated, thanks.

CaseyTheRadioGuy

Reaction score
titanium backup, if well worth the money. this if for all your back ups. Update to steel droid 3, his instructions are very simple, just follow them step by step. Steel droid 3 has ,many improvements. this so far will blow the stock rom away. As for removing bloatware i still have all of mine, not removing it just yet bc i use most of it. take your time and sit back and get your phone to steel droid v3 dont even try and do other ROMs. Steel droid is very stable and useful

OP
H

HuStLa420

Reaction score
Right, i already have titanium backup installed (the free version for right now) and have backed up all my data and apps, etc. My question is am i good to just install SD v3.0? I thought i needed to have the system version updated to 5.6.890, (which would require me un-rooting or no?) instead of the 5.5.959 I currently have. If so i'm guessing the rom will be pretty easy to install from there, once everything is downloaded, and i have everything figured out and the plan of stuff to install. so any more guidance would help, and if i do need programs or files besides the ones listed in the SteelDroid v3.0 release thread i would really appreciate getting direct links if possible, im a total newbie of course and don't really know all the fancy terms or programs yet.

guidot

Developer Relations
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I believe you do need to update, but I'm not 100%. I believe the process is (as long as you made a backup of stock in safestrap non-safe mode), reboot to recovery, switch to non-safe mode, reboot, download root keeper, then update the OS. Then back to recovery, switch to safe mode, flash SD3.0

GreenSnow

Reaction score
Yes you do need the system update.
I guess im confused what you actually have you say that you have a stock rooted Droid3 with steel droid3 but that's impossible.
But anyhow when first got on board with steel droid, the one and only rom I have ever used, I moved all my apps to my external SD card and when I did a system flash with rsdLite I lost nothing, the actual system flash wont touch your SD card. Atleast this was my experience, maybe I am the exception.

Also from what you have described it sounds like you still don't have a complete grasp on what rooting is and what ROMs are.

Sent from my DROID3 using DroidForums