Newbie needs help

mejallen

Reaction score
i'm ready to leave my iphone and switch to an android but don't know what to buy. i like the razr maxx hd but searching online, ebay and amazon has me confussed with the different models, etc. can someon recommend something? i need "unlocked" and i'd like to stay under $200, love the body and style of the razy line. also, do i have to buy factory unlocked or can i buy a phone and unlock it myself to use on another no contract carrier?

i appreciate any help or advice you can give. thanks!

cr6

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.dronewolfmedia.com
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S7 Edge
Twitter
@dronewolfmedia
Welcome to the forum mejallen and congrats on your decision to give Android a try.
That's rather a difficult question to answer because so much depends on how you currently use your phone. Basic calls, texting, Facebook, occasional web browsing. Or do you watch a lot of YouTube, Netflix, gaming etc. Do you want a large device or smaller device. Who is your carrier and do you want to buy "on contract", or is 200 the most you want to spend to purchase the phone outright? If you're buying on contract, you can purchase the latest and greatest device (LG GS, Galaxy S5, HTC One M8, etc) with 200 or less down and re-sign a 2 year contract. However, if 200 is the most you want to spend to buy a phone outright, that's going to limit you quite a bit.
BUT, you can still find a decent midrange device, something preowned or possibly one of last year's models. Your best option since you're new to the world of Android would be to spend some time at your local BestBuy, or your cell providers store, and get a hands on feel for all the different models to see what's right for you.
In the meantime, you might also check out our General Discussion sub forum as we've got quite a few threads that ask this very question. You'll be able to get an idea what others have already suggested. Do a lot of reading, check out the different features and read lots of reviews in order to get a better understanding of what you might like. It can all be a bit overwhelming to a first time Android user, which is why a "hands on" approach is always recommended.
Good luck with your decision and if you have any other questions, please don't hesitate to ask.

tap'n

smalltowngirl13

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Z Force 2
Twitter
smalltownlife13
Hello, welcome aboard and good luck!