Newbie - need help with ICS Leak Install

checkmiketest12

Reaction score
so since i am rooted....do i need to unroot to install or can I install still rooted but just with stock recovery?

Been a while since ive done this. Had a rooted D1 but that was a few years ago.

electricman58

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
"ROOTED" Droid Turbo
checkmiketest12 said:
so since i am rooted....do i need to unroot to install or can I install still rooted but just with stock recovery?

Been a while since ive done this. Had a rooted D1 but that was a few years ago.

Haven't done it myself yet, but I've been following the Leak threads. Their saying it doesn't matter if your rooted or not.!
I don't know how to link another thread, but there are 2 or 3 "Detailed" threads and links . Just go to new posts and there right there on top!

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Droid Forums

checkmiketest12

Reaction score
Haven't done it myself yet, but I've been following the Leak threads. Their saying it doesn't matter if your rooted or not.!
I don't know how to link another thread, but there are 2 or 3 "Detailed" threads and links . Just go to new posts and there right there on top!

Ok. Ill look there. Thanks for the help!

checkmiketest12

Reaction score
Can I uninstall safestrap and unroot? Or is going to. 902 and ota updating to. 905 how I have to do it?

doctordoctor

Reaction score
i wish it was that easy... because the rest of us would have done it that way because no body wants to fxz back to 902. But that is why timmysholes or something or sumarai developed the fxz file that does not wipe out your internal sd card and data etc... search for that file. But yes you have to fxz to 902. then ota 905 then load ics.

this thread has gone on long enough for all of you to already be on ICS. there are lots of walk throughs available. I am going to work soon so won't be around to help. Maybe tomorrow afternoon if I am alive after another night on Trauma.... But seriously backup your goodies. do it and then tell us how glad you are that you did it.

checkmiketest12

Reaction score
Ok. I just wanted to be sure before I did it that it was the correct way. Thanks for your help. Ill give it a try when I get off work.

electricman58

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
"ROOTED" Droid Turbo
OK ... according to "SamuraiHL" the only root that messes up the download is "Forever Root "! Thats the one you need to unroot from. You can flash the leak from stock .905 from there. You only fxz back to. 902 and reinstall .905 if you've already flashed a previous ICS version, such as. .2233 or. 229 and want to upgrade to .230. So far. 230 is the latest leak.

OP
S

sierrapup

Reaction score
OK ... according to "SamuraiHL" the only root that messes up the download is "Forever Root "! Thats the one you need to unroot from. You can flash the leak from stock .905 from there. You only fxz back to. 902 and reinstall .905 if you've already flashed a previous ICS version, such as. .2233 or. 229 and want to upgrade to .230. So far. 230 is the latest leak.

OK - so if Im on .905 already and have no previous ICS installe, I can install the 230 version on my rooted phone? This is where I am confused - do I have to fxz to 902 or not?

muffins7497

Reaction score
OK - so if Im on .905 already and have no previous ICS installe, I can install the 230 version on my rooted phone? This is where I am confused - do I have to fxz to 902 or not?

you can install 230 as a system update over 905.. it's same as a Verizon normal update over your 905 install stock.
except you have a leak update and not push out by Verizon to your phone. Basically you are doing it manually. it's simple as i can explain it.

OP
S

sierrapup

Reaction score
ok then - how do I do that because all the instructions Im being given tell me I have to go back to 902....

electricman58

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
"ROOTED" Droid Turbo
Go to "New Bionic ICS update 6.7.230" thread in the Bionic section and there is all the links, hacks, tips, and tricks for doing the leak install! All the info is already posted there. You just gotta read thru it and follow the instructions! Good luck!

OP
S

sierrapup

Reaction score
yeah, I just don't get how to do it and I'm not finding the info I need. I give up!

muffins7497

Reaction score
ok then - how do I do that because all the instructions Im being given tell me I have to go back to 902....
do this.. you need to have the 230 on your external sd-card.. not on your internal sd-card
because when you go into recovery.. you can only access ex-card.

1. You'll need to boot into stock recovery:
  2. Power off phone
  3. With phone powered off, press and hold Vol Up AND Vol Down
  4. Press the Power button
  5. In the menu select Recovery
  6. At the triangle, press BOTH Vol Up and Vol Down
  7. Move down (vol down) to install update from .ZIP
  8. Use Power button to select
  9. Select file and let it install
  10. reboot phone

Last edited: