Newbie intro

Discussion in 'Adamz' started by alias4cat, Mar 21, 2010.

1. alias4cat

alias4cat New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi everyone,

This is my first smartphone and I am equally amazed and intrigued by the amount of time, interest and data out there (here) that is available for noobs to learn about and tweak their phone.

I highly recommend Start Here | Root Your Droid as a beginner's website. The owner has kindly provided simple, detailed instructions of how to root your phone as well as background on what the heck you are doing. I would not have attempted any of this (fear of brick) before thoroughly reading his explanations and then coming here to learn about ROM and so forth. I've also watched some of droidreview's video's on youtube.

I love my new phone and moreso the fact that I can read, learn, play and feel relatively safe that if I FU, I can return to my original status. There's always a risk, but I've tried to be as safe as I can be.

That being said, I do have a problem that I have not been able to find an answer for. Has anyone else run into this? --

I've rooted my Droid and am running on Adam Z's Smoked Glass 5.0.1, overclocked to 800Mhz. I've had a few FC's, but for the most part, it works great. Videos--that's the problem--after watching a video for a minute or two, it crashes then reboots the phone afterwards. I have tried a couple of movies (mp4) that look and sound great...and then the unit freezes. I have no idea of where to go or how to fix this. Any thoughts or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I don't want to go back to OEM for this.

Thanks!

2. hookbill

hookbill Premium Member
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +8
    Thread moved so you can obtain better assistance. We have excellent help for new people with rooting here. We even have a team designated to assisting people having issues.

:welcome: to the forum. Hopefully you will get an answer for your issue here.

3. creamers

creamers Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Did you wipe your data while installing the rom.

4. SG181

SG181 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I would highly recommend upgrading to Smoked Glass 6.0.1. I found it to be much faster than 5.0.1, and it runs a lot smoother as well. 5.0/5.0.1 seemed to force close a lot, especially with Launcher2 enabled. Upgrading to SG 6.0.1 will require you to do a data/cache wipe (because 6.0+ is based off of Android 2.1 ESE 53 rather than 2.0.1), so I would recommend first doing a backup with Titanium Backup and doing a manual nandroid backup using SPRecovery, with all of the options (boot, data, cache, etc.) filled in. Make sure to choose to wipe your data when you install 6.0.1 (there is an option to wipe data but keep the apps, so you don't lose everything you've downloaded).

I haven't experienced the issue you described before, but I don't normally watch too many videos on my Droid. It's definitely worth a shot upgrading to 6.0.1, especially if you began experiencing this problem when you began using 5.0.1. If it doesn't resolve the problem, I'm sure someone more knowledgeable than I am will have an answer for you.

5. alias4cat

alias4cat New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Just trying to figure it all out

Thanks for your response(s). I did wipe my data, but saved apps. I'll try upgrading to Smoked Glass 6 and see if that helps. It will take me a little while, cuz I'm new to all of this and move slowly as a noob, so I don't brick my phone. One month ago I wouldn't even have understood the talk of ROMs, nandroid backups and the like.

That being said, I've read of some people trying a different kernel in addition to their chosen ROM. I've OC'd within AdamZ's ROM using the SetCPU app, but can someone tell me the basis of what a kernel is and what I should know? Sorry if this has been answered elsewhere; I've looked and cannot find an answer.