Newbie here-- coming off of BlackBerry

Peaceful75

Reaction score
Hello Droid lovers!

My name is Irene, and I am new to the forum today. At this moment, I am still on a BlackBerry Storm 2, but my Droid X has been ordered, and I am counting the days until it arrives. Therefore, the next few days will be PURE TORTURE! I am already somewhat familiar with the way of the Droid, and this is because bit by bit all my friends and family members have been switching over. I'd been losing BBM contacts left and right, and when my Hubby took on the Droid 2, in my heart I knew it was all over LOL! It was a crazy day yesterday trying to find how we could get me onto Droid affordably, as I had only just upgraded in June and Verizon wanted no part of letting me do it again so soon. but, we did find a way, and soon I will be with you all dancedroid

Does anyone have any specific advice for someone like myself coming off of a BB touch phone? I look forward to getting to know everyone here :)

Irene

Droid DOES!!

What iDoesn't
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Welcome to Droid Forums Irene!! Enjoy your stay!

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums app (free in market)

jstafford1

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Twitter
jstaff79
Welcome to the forum....glad you made the switch!!

First thing to do.....forget everything......remember the long press......and never hesitate to ask questions. Enjoy your DX....my wifes got one too.

Sent from somewhere...

DF Smod

Silver Member
Reaction score
:welcome:

The best advice would be to open a gmail account (if you don't have one already) and get your contacts in your gmail contacts list - this way the sync process on the DX will add all of your contacts for you...also don't install a Task Killer and if you are getting your phone from a VZW store, don't let them sync or install anything with your new phone - if you need help come to us, we are online 24/7 and we like to help :wink:

Sent from my Droid

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
:welcome: to the Droid Forums. I too came from the Storm, and Storm 2. Here's what I experienced:

The first thing you have to do is forget everything you learned about Blackberry. This is not an upgrade for Blackberry, it's a whole new device.

Realize that any Android phone is a Google phone. Your contacts, mail calendar will all be set up to be backed up by Google. Don't forget your gmail password. If possible switch email accounts all to gmail.

If you see something that the Droid doesn't do that the Blackberry did, there is probably an app that will do it now.

No desktop manager. As I said all backups are doe by Google. If something does happen your paid apps will be in your download folder in the Market.

Do not worry about available disk memory. Forget about daily battery pulls. Own taken caro of. I've had 2 battery pulls in one years time.

Do not, I repeat, do not use task killers or antivirus. If you have questions about that visit our Apps area and look in the stickies for a thread about app killers, and what Google thins about the.

Try and set your phone up yourself and keep tose 'Verizon people away from it. Too many times I see Verizon reps installing contacts and task kilers. They are trying to help you but they really aren't/

Finally read the stickies throughout the forum to gain more knowledge on your Droid. Good luck, it may take a few days for the adjustment but one you'll make it you'll understand why we feel that Black technology is so 20th Century.

OP
Peaceful75

Peaceful75

Reaction score
Thanks everyone! This is awesome, and I do have Gmail already, so when my Hubby gets back home tonight, he'll help me get my contacts in there. I'm trying to get my X shipped overnight to me because I just can't wait!! I hope the shipper will comply ;)

dr3wv4n3

Reaction score
Welcome! I migrated, although indirectly, from an Ozone and my D is on its way as well! I am in the process of transferring my microsoft outlook contacts into gmail so I will have access to them through gmail.

Best wishes and enjoy!:greendroid: