Newbie hacker, few questions

Discussion in 'Android Hacks and Help' started by jackpfree, Jul 29, 2010.

1. jackpfree

jackpfree Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Ok so I successfully rooted my phone and am running Bugless Beast v0.4

My questions are

1. Is it possible to change the kernel while keeping Bugless Beast? How would I do this? (I keep seeing the chevy 1.1 ghz LV kernels for example).

2. How do I apply themes like black glass? I tried using metamorph but it always says the theme I selected is invalid because the theme control file is missing. Any way to fix this or apply themes some other way?

thanks for the help

2. JP 5.56

JP 5.56 Member

Ratings:
    +10
    I can't help you with the themes thing, not familiar with metamorph but as for the kernels sure you can change the kernel.

Download the one you want, put it on the root of your SD card and install it the same way you did BB. You'll still have BB but with the new kernel.

3. jackpfree

jackpfree Member

Ratings:
    +0
    so i just go into recovery mode and download the kernel from there?

4. JP 5.56

JP 5.56 Member

Ratings:
    +10
    Download it and put it on the root of your SD card. (if using SPRecovery rename it to update.zip)

Boot into recovery and follow the zip install process you used to install the rom.

5. JP 5.56

JP 5.56 Member

Ratings:
    +10
    Also, make sure the kernel you choose is for 2.2. Any of Chevy's latest kernels should work, or the ones on the P3droid download page labeled as Froyo kernels.

6. dlwhtrose

dlwhtrose DF Super Moderator Rescue Squad Premium Member

God forsaken desert, wishing to be back in Dixie
    Ratings:
    +1
    First and foremost you when choosing a kernel or theme you have to make sure it is compatible to the rom you are running. I would suggest you read your developer's site there they should tell you what kernel they recommend and also you will be able to read what themes are being applied to the rom. Not all kernels work with all the roms out there. Same with themes, they tend to be rom specific.

7. jackpfree

jackpfree Member

Ratings:
    +0
    thanks guys, just installed a different kernel. I love how i spend just as much time looking for stuff improving my phone as i do actually doing things on it...:)

what happens to the kernel when you update a rom? lets say i update to bugless beast v0.5 when its out, will the kernel just be overridden?

8. YankInDaSouth

YankInDaSouth Theme Developer Theme Developer

Ratings:
    +72
    Yes, when you install a new ROM the stock kernel with that ROM overwrites the one you had previously installed. I recommend you get ROM Manager from the market. It is a paid app and makes the organization of ROM backups very easy. Also it gives you access to developer's ROMS for faster/easier installation.

9. jackpfree

jackpfree Member

Ratings:
    +0
    yeah i have rom manager, though lets say everything goes to hell and i just have some of my nandroid backups. when i boot into recovery mode and go to my backups and restore from there, what exactly is it restoring?

10. cupfulloflol

cupfulloflol Senior Member

Ratings:
    +23
    Yeah the kernel and your theme you changed will go to whatever BB 0.5 comes with. You will then have to reapply your kernel, if it is still compatible with the update. You will need to wait for the themers to convert the theme to work properly with BB 0.5 . Remember when installing a theme, to make sure it is for your specific ROM. Because a theme works with BB 0.4, doesn't make it work for 0.5. And that goes for all other ROMs too. A lot of themes have been ported across a few ROMs. And generally the themers are quite quick to update with the ROM updates.

When you create a backup, it backs up the exact state of your phone at that point. Settings, apps, ROM, theme, kernel....everything. It is separated into a few partitions, so you can just restore segments if you wanted to (advanced restore).

So say for example you apply a kernel that doesn't work for you, you won't have to restore the entire backup, you can just apply the Boot portion.

11. gflam

gflam Developer Theme Developer Developer

Ratings:
    +13
    Check out my themes and custom stuff in my signature and if you want anything custom I'd be happy to make something for you. Pretty much all of my stuff works on bugless beast as well.