1. You want that $100.00 in your pocket or an Amazon Fire TV don't you? Well here's the deal. With our new updated look we are in desperate need of an updated logo. The 'old' one has certainly served us well, but it's time. Find all the details here: bit.ly/1q0k6Wa
  2. DroidForums.net is currently undergoing a major software upgrade. If you are experiencing any problems logging in please: Contact Us

Newbie Guide to Rooting

Discussion in 'Android Hacks and Help' started by mbarr69, Aug 3, 2010.

1. mbarr69

mbarr69 New Member

I am a newbie to the rooting world, and as many newbies find myself in a cloud of vagueness. What I would like to accomplish with this thread is a definitive guide to what root means, why should I root, backing up, actually rooting and finally, installing new ROMs(Read Only Memory) on the Moto Droid 1. I am currently running 2.1-update 1 firmware. Any links or information provided should be already tested and proven methods. Please no "try this and let me know if this works" stuff. I would like links to good videos when possible with written step-by-step instruction for that procedure or process. If not provided I will try to write out steps for video links. Please also provide definitions for any acronyms or other terminology not understood by newbies. Again I would like this to be the "DEFINITIVE ONE-STOP-SHOP TO ROOTING DROID 1 2.1". I'll start by structuring some sections and lets build off those. If you see something that is not right let me know and I will fix it. If you see something left out or a new or better way to do something lets get a poll on that suggestion and get a feel of what people think works the best in that situation. If I'm asking too much or if you think that this is all just a waste of time please move on and do not leave any comments. Otherwise I like many others would like this cloud lifted so we can see the light. AMEN!
  2. mbarr69

mbarr69 New Member

Section 1- WHAT DOES ROOTING MEAN

To have root access on a Linux based system such as android means you have the equivalent access of Administrator on a Windows based computer. You will have unrestricted full access to nearly all aspects of the android system stack.
  3. mbarr69

mbarr69 New Member

Section 2- WHY SHOULD I ROOT?

For those of us who would like an extreme level of control over our phone's files, root access is a necessity. Having a rooted phone gives the end user unprecedented control over the phone, enabling them to have limitless possibilities. Essentially unlocking your phone's full potential. With root/superuser access on your phone you would be able to flash modified roms (roms from other devices) , have access to certain functions on "root only" applications (example: wireless tether for root users - ability to tether your phone). The possibilities are endless.

Can we get the Top 10 most common reasons?
  4. mbarr69

mbarr69 New Member

Section 3- BACKING UP

1. Why should I back up my phone?
    Backing up your phone provides a means to restore your phone to a previous condition.

2. What hardware will I need?
    Computer, Phone, USB(Univeral Serial Bus) Cable

3. What software will I need?

4. How do I restore my backup should something go wrong?

5. How often should I back up?

Any other suggestions?
    Last edited: Aug 3, 2010
  5. mbarr69

mbarr69 New Member

Section 4- ROOTING

1. What hardware will I need?
    Computer, Phone, USB(Universal Serial Bus) cable.

1. What software do I need.

What else?
  6. cory droid master

cory droid master New Member

i just got a ota update for 2.2 froyo on my droid !!!
  7. mbarr69

mbarr69 New Member

Section 5- ROMs(Read Only Memeory)

1. What is a ROM?
    2. How do I install a ROM?

Anything else? Also, please show cool ROMs loaded on phones. Please also provide links to get these ROMs.
  8. huskerkate

huskerkate Premium Member Premium Member

Step 1. Do your research. There are boundless sources/threads in this forum.

http://www.droidforums.net/forum/droid-hacks/632-what-root-means-stop-asking.html

the way i look at it is by analogizing to buying a house. you have a piece of land, with a house already built on it. you can maybe build an addition, paint, put in new fixtures, etc, but you are essentially limited to working with the house that came with the land (i.e., the stock Droid given to you by VZW). but, if you tear down the house, the land is open for you to do as you please. and, if you use a young, kick a**, free thinking architect, you could end up with something that you REALLY enjoy!!

that's basically what these guys have done with hacking and providing custom roms.

Step 2. Root and enjoy!

http://www.droidforums.net/forum/hacking-faqs/39254-sbf-root-unroot.html

How to: Root Android 2.1 and Install Android 2.2 on Motorola DROID | Droid Life: A Droid Community Blog

http://www.droidforums.net/forum/droid-hacks/11102-all-one-popular-threads-read-before-posting.html

How to: Root Android 2.1 and Install Android 2.2 on Motorola DROID | Droid Life: A Droid Community Blog

there are lots of videos on youtube for rooting, but this ^ is the one i used.

there's also supposedly a new one-step rooting app that just came out: Easy Root, the Newest 1-Touch DROID Rooting App | Droid Life: A Droid Community Blog

screen shots of rooted phones running JRummy's roms: http://www.droidforums.net/forum/jrummy/51630-post-your-screen-shots-here.html

under the "Forums" tab above, you can find entire sections devoted to the various roms:

http://www.droidforums.net/forum/android-roms/

http://www.droidforums.net/forum/custom-roms/
    Last edited: Aug 3, 2010
  9. Shauna

Shauna New Member

I'm totally stuck on my keyboard having a cool sound other than the factory type writter bs... if i "root" can I change settings such as this and maybe even more? Will it effect my warranty?
  10. nateccnn

nateccnn Member

Section 6: What is a kernel?
Search tags for this page
android x rooting for beginners

droid x root guide

droid x worth rooting for newbies
how to root android for beginners

ot 838 superuser root how