Newbie Guide to Rooting the Fascinate

erfnick

Reaction score
so when i am trying to extract the files from the root zip file to the root folder not all of them transfer over. some will show then dissappear any thoughts?

poppatm

Reaction score
I had a similar problem when trying to extract the android-sdk tools. Not all files transferred for me either. To get all the files I simply opened the zip folder and did a copy and paste to a new folder and all the files showed up.

erfnick

Reaction score
ya i tried extracting the files in the same folder then coping them to the root fold same thing the cage file just disappears on me. cant find any thing on this problem on the internet.

poppatm

Reaction score
I understand you are having problems with the rage*.bin file. About a year ago I switched to a MAC because I refused to use Vista. I did create a Virtual Machine (VM) on my MAC and loaded WIN7 but have since removed it because of excessive BSOD. I then installed XP as a VM on my MAC because all instructions for rooting my phone were done on a Windows OS. Is it possible that you can't see the .bin file because it is being treated as a hidden or system file? The file is small enough that I will include it with this email but have changed the .bin extension to .txt because this website does not allow .bin files. Change it back after you copy it to your PC.

Attachments

• rageagainstthecage-arm5.txt
    5.3 KB · Views: 188

erfnick

Reaction score
Fixed my problem, I had to extract the file in safe mode on my PC. Switch back to reg. Windows and the file was their. So know I have a rooted phone now. Not sure what I can do with it now.

jvezzosi

Reaction score
Help

I am stuck at step 4

You should now be at the C:\rootfiles prompt
Type the following commands:
Code:
adb push su /sdcard/su

I get a permission denied error dancedroid

thoughts

had to re mount the SD card and got to here

mount: Operation not permitted
$ $ cannot create ./su: read-only file system
$ cannot create ./busybox: read-only file system
$ Unable to chmod su: No such file or directory
$ Unable to chmod busybox: No such file or directory
$ exit

I cut and past the original steps from section 4

jvezzosi

Reaction score
Ok everything seems to have installed.

Got SU on the screen.
open and check for updates and it says it an error occured SU was not updated. A zip file

SU-2.3.1-bin-signed.zip has been placed on your SD card. reboot in to recovery mode and flash it to update you SU binary.

I rebooted to recovery and went to the SD card "enter" got the "!" droid and nothing happened.

hit a key and it showed that the process aborted. rebooted in to recovery mode no probs.

Still not rooted yet.

OK got the SU from the market and that fixed that error.

Still not rooted? Tit B/A still won't work.
Also should i keep ROM manager on or no?

any thoughts?

poppatm

Reaction score
The reason I rooted my phone was so I could use tethering. You can tether without rooting, but a rooted phone can be used as a wireless hot spot. On your phone go to the Android market and search for wireless tether. Download the app by Muller, Lemons, Buxton.

ggregs15

Reaction score
can't get past ADB Setup

I can't even get passed the ADB setup

this is the second time I tried rooting my phone and when i go to the cmd.exe part and type in adb it doesn't work.

i've been wanting to root my phone but it has by far been so frustrating that it won't work. i followed the video perfectly. i don't understand the problem.

beej336

Reaction score
I also need help with downloading the drivers. Cant seem to find the right download button... =/ theres only like 6 of them.

beej336

Reaction score
Nevermind, i found it. had to go to Dirrk's page to get it, though.

anewday

Reaction score
My friend got the official OTA 2.2 update a couple of days ago. Would this method work?