Newbie Guide to Rooting the Fascinate

TAPOUT27

Silver Member
Reaction score
well yes and no....technically the last update they released was EA28 i believe, either way any of those ODIN files you flash with the exception of EB01(since its 2.2 Froyo) will/should prompt you to recieve the maintenance update from them anyway...

TAPOUT27

Silver Member
Reaction score
btw i dont mean to sound retarted but where is the instruction set for this if you dont mind me askin on running all this to restore, thanks
You will need to download Odin application tool and the Rom.tar file you want to restore too
If your phone is plugged into your computer, unplug it now.
If your phone is not powered down, power it down now.
Remove battery from phone.
Launch ODIN on PC.
Plug USB cable into PC then into the phone while holding the volume-down key.

You should now see a gigantic yellow triangle and your phone will be in download mode. You can now release the volume key.

Click on the PDA button in ODIN

Triple check that you pushed the PDA button. Do NOT click the Phone button prior to continuing to step 13. If you choose Phone, you will have bought your Fascinate a one-way ticket to hell.

Choose the ROM.tar file you downloaded & click the Start button.(this should take approx 9mins or less)
Phone will power down when finished(ODIN will say RESET).
Remove USB cable.
Reinsert battery.
Power phone and wait til it boots....dont touch it

cbenzo

Reaction score
ok well i am running some seriously slow connection so my download may take 1hr half but the ODIN and the DJ05 are the only two files i need to commence the revival of this phone? If so i guess when its done downloading i will search for an instruction set on what exactly to do unless you have a quick link to one

TAPOUT27

Silver Member
Reaction score

cbenzo

Reaction score
Ok Mr. TAPOUT sir i know i am bombarding you with questions but as you said i do not want to send my phone into an eternity in a flaming abyss, and i am quite sure my wife will throw me in as well after the cash i spent on this little gadget, but my question is in your post where you say choose the rom.tar file how will i do that part of it i see the PDA button am i just pressing that button? An action supposed to take place, and as well you just said update to EB01, i am assument i will do the same process as the DJ05 that i am about to do?

cbenzo

Reaction score
i guess what i was trying to ask was where will i be choosing the ROM.tar file, dragging to somewhere, clicking button to select file, i know it seems dumb to you but i just dont want to muff this up if you know what im saying

TAPOUT27

Silver Member
Reaction score
The DJ05 file you are currently dwnloading is what gets put in the PDA section....download it, put it on your desktop, in ODIN click the PDA button and another box should open, click browse, browse to that file on your desktop and click open...it will populate it in the PDA section by the PDA button

TAPOUT27

Silver Member
Reaction score
and as well you just said update to EB01, i am assument i will do the same process as the DJ05 that i am about to do?

yes its the same process just download any of the EB01 files in the post i linked and follow the instructions....EB01 is what most people are currently running...no one is building for 2.1 anymore, they have moved on to FROYO 2.2 EB01

cbenzo

Reaction score
ok hey man i appreciate all of your help and persistance with my nonsense and hopefully this will fix my issue, hopefully nomore questions, and if this fixes me man i owe you a beer lol

TAPOUT27

Silver Member
Reaction score
ok hey man i appreciate all of your help and persistance with my nonsense and hopefully this will fix my issue, hopefully nomore questions, and if this fixes me man i owe you a beer lol
its all good...im here to help...

ODIN is a fix all basically...no matter what you do to your phone you can most likely fix it by doing an ODIN restore...keep that in mind

cbenzo

Reaction score
Hey TAPOUT im trying to download EB01 2.4 on now (fixed keyboard issue btw with DJ05) and on the first section is says i have to download update.zip where will i be putting this zip and extracted files?

TAPOUT27

Silver Member
Reaction score
Hey TAPOUT im trying to download EB01 2.4 on now (fixed keyboard issue btw with DJ05) and on the first section is says i have to download update.zip where will i be putting this zip and extracted files?
the update.zip goes on the root of your sd card....it will allow you to get into custom CWMrecovery if your phone boots to the stock blue recovery by applying update.zip....

the SC v2.4 is a .rar i think so you extract it on your desktop and it should be a .tar file i believe...then just do the same thing with it you did for DJ05 in ODIN

Just follow the directions in the OP http://www.droidforums.net/forum/sa...roms-w-root-new-clockwork-updated-2-11-a.html

cbenzo

Reaction score
ok so im understanding this correctly i need to go ahead and place update.zip file on my sd card then go through the other process.....and im not too sure on your second comment might have to break it down to lamens terms if you dont mind about the CWMrecovery booting to stock..........i guess i am basically saying what is the Update.zip file used for.....i get putting it on my sd card root but will i need to do anything with it once i put it on there i guess is what im getting at?

TAPOUT27

Silver Member
Reaction score
ok so im understanding this correctly i need to go ahead and place update.zip file on my sd card then go through the other process.....and im not too sure on your second comment might have to break it down to lamens terms if you dont mind about the CWMrecovery booting to stock..........i guess i am basically saying what is the Update.zip file used for.....i get putting it on my sd card root but will i need to do anything with it once i put it on there i guess is what im getting at?
yea just put it on the root of the sd card...its a failsafe.....on occasion you may have to manually boot into your custom recovery by holding vol up+vol dwn+pwr button for 11 seconds, it will prob go into your red custom recovery but if it doesnt you may end up in the Samsung stock blue recovery...there are 4 options there, use the vol rocker to toggle down to apply UPDATE.ZIP and hit the home soft key and it will boot into your red custom recovery
Thats why you want it on the root of your sd card... :)