Newbie Gingerbread Question

Gasai Yuno

Reaction score
On that screen, pressing Up and Down volume keys should work. I'm not sure about the order, only did it once, alas.

OP
B

Bigbunny

Reaction score
YAY! Finally got it. Let's see if this works.

Thanks so much!

OP
B

Bigbunny

Reaction score
So far so good! Maybe ok to get excited now?!

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using DroidForums

OP
B

Bigbunny

Reaction score
Rats. Spoke too soon. So is the only other option a factory reset then?

NoBloatware

Reaction score
Rats. Spoke too soon. So is the only other option a factory reset then?

I wonder if you're the only one having this problem or if this is a widespread issue. Anyway, before doing a factory reset you might be able to pinpoint some app that's causing the problem. Steps:

1) reboot phone
2) after phone starts up completely go to phone settings > Applications > Manage applications > Running tab and look at what is running that you have installed including any apps, widgets, live wallpapers, etc. If you don't mind, list them here and we'll look for any potential culprits. I would uninstall any auto task killers, antivirus...
3) next go to phone settings > Applications > Running services > Running tab and again look at what is running that you have installed. If you list them here we can help find any potential offenders.

I don't know if this process will work, but it's worth a shot.

OP
B

Bigbunny

Reaction score
Holy cow there's a lot of apps running!

settings
go sms pro
data manager service
social networking
backup assistant
quick contact
news
google services
market
sync service
calendar
social sharing
world clock
maps
suggestions poll schdule
data collector service
bluetoothDun
thunderstorm free (wallpaper0
multi-touch keyboard

I don't even know what half of these are.

OP
B

Bigbunny

Reaction score
For the record, I didn't download any apps after the GB update.

silver6054

Reaction score
I think all of those are stock, with the exception of Go SMS and the thunderstorm free wallpaper.

Since Go is widely used, I would try uninstalling for now the wallpaper and see if that changes anything.

And, just to check: you didn't root your phone and freeze any apps? Freezing necessary processes can also cause lots of reboots.

OP
B

Bigbunny

Reaction score
Nope, no rooting. I wouldn't have a clue how!

Will try the wallpaper now.

FWIW, with few exceptions, the reboots seem to happen when I try to unlock the screen.

NoBloatware

Reaction score
Definitely try uninstalling the wallpaper. I guess you can switch to another wallpaper and it should stop the thunderstorm one from running...however, maybe not. If it's not too much trouble, uninstall it. You might want to reboot afterwards for good measure.

Did you check the running services too?

Everything else looks OK. You don't have anything odd and you don't have any apps that require root. I might try clearing the system partition again just for the heck of it. Also, it might be a long shot but you could try a home/launcher replacement. I very much dislike the stock launcher anyway. I like GO Launcher EX, but people also like ADW and Launcher Pro. Even if it doesn't clear up the reboots, I'd check out one or more of those as it just makes life better.

Finally, if none of this works I'd guess I'd back up all of my pics and other data and factory reset :(

Last edited:
OP
B

Bigbunny

Reaction score
I guess I am looking at a factor reset. Thanks so much, everyone, for trying to help me :(

NoBloatware

Reaction score
I guess I am looking at a factor reset. Thanks so much, everyone, for trying to help me :(

Don't forget to back up all of your pics & movies in the DCIM folder. A factory reset isn't the end of the world. It can even be kinda fun--like getting a new phone. Hopefully it'll solve your reboots. If I were you I would add back any apps manually and over time. I would also go with a home replacement. Let us know how it goes!

Gasai Yuno

Reaction score
Don't forget to back up all of your pics & movies in the DCIM folder.
Hello rumourmonger.

Let me tell you a fascinating thing: a factory reset (and even flashing an SBF) never affects the SD card along with the DCIM directory which is stored on it. My phone went through at least 50 factory resets, and probably 6 or 7 SBF reflashes. Everything stored on the SD card is still intact.

OP
B

Bigbunny

Reaction score
Holy cow, that's a lot of resets!