Newbie Considering Droid X

rwlade

Reaction score
Hello gang. I've been a Verizon customer for lots of years and finally going to take the smart phone plunge. My current contract expires 9/2/10 so I will be ordering a DX soon. If I knew when ver 2.2 was coming I might be tempted to wait until then, but I guess i can get it OTA just as easily.

I'm a little concerned about the volume level of the DX (from reading reviews on the VZW site and hope my 75 year old ears will be able to hear incoming calls. I'm actually kind of a techie for my age (PhD in EE) and I run an Internet business on the side (design, hosting and marketing.)

Thanks for the opportunity to introduce myself.

-Dr. Bob

Mechanicat

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Z Force
hey Dr Bob I'm new here also on an original droid. I've found it pretty fantastic the range of age operating these smart phones after checking an earlier thread about it. We're all externally inquisitive in this enlightened age. I'm half yours and a lot are half mine and I've read a few that had 2 be half that, just incredible. I responded wondering since its so close 2 the Droid2 release have you looked into that model? Myself I like the option of rolling over 2 the landscape mode & slide out the keyboard in those times that its necessary 2 really pound some keys. Anyway have fun discovering your own answers and I'm not sure if its my place 2 say so but, welcome

From my Droid using Tapatalk #ridesafe

OP
R

rwlade

Reaction score
Old Newbie replies

Hi Mechanicat,

Not sure I want a slider. A little thick and I don't do much texting/IMing (at least now.) Looks like a nice addition to the Droid lineup and, it's got FroYo. By the time I get my DX, 2.2 will probably be on it or available OTA.

Your comments about the age span among techies are right on. I can carry on great conversations with my kids and grandkids and soon, great grandkids (he's only 3 now.) As an ancient techie, I object to people saying that they leave all the computer stuff to their grandkids. Hey, they should get on the bus, man. It's a great ride.

73, Dr. Bob

aminaked

Silver Member
Reaction score
I think the droid x speaker is pretty loud. Listening to music on it sounds quite good! I can hear it when it rings, although if the phone is screen up on a soft surface, like a pillow, it will be muffled. The original droid had this problem too. I eventually learned to leave it face down.

I believe that Motorola said they will increase the droid x volume with the next update.

Something else you can do is download some high volume ringtones/notifications.

One last note, the timer that comes with the X has a bug where the volume of the alarm is low. Other timers are available from the market, but I'm sure the update will fix this problem anyway.

(The biggest issue with the X for me has been the battery life. It has taken some research to find that there is a major bug where the phone will not "sleep". There are workarounds, and I'm sure the update will fix it, but for now it is mildly annoying.)