newbie connectivity question

Discussion in 'Android Tech Support' started by Jim 777, Mar 3, 2010.

1. Jim 777

Jim 777 Active Member

I don't remember if I downloaded anything special (I don't think so) when I went to hook the phone up to my Win7 64x laptop at home, I just remember it charging and mounting.

Now that I'm at a job, I have my older Dell 84x win XP Pro laptop and it won't charge or connect unless I turn on USB Debugging. The only fix I found was to download over a gig of files in the SDK package and this thing doesn't have that kind of space to be using for just charging and occasional mounting.

What's the fix I'm missing? The drivers I got from the Motorola site did nothing.

Thanks. I think the ol' hard drive above my shoulders is full.
  2. bolden88

bolden88 New Member

Also a newbie looking to hook to computer

What do I need to connect my laptop to my phone internet? I know I need a USB cable and an app. I have heard some apps work well while others do not. Do I need just the tethering app or do I need to root my phone?
  3. Jim 777

Jim 777 Active Member

Not to continue the jack of my own thread, but before I rooted I used PDAnet from the Market. On your PC go to their site and download the software. It's easy
  4. bolden88

bolden88 New Member

Phone to laptop

Do I need the PDA.net if I root? Is rooting as scary as it sounds? I will be gettting my phone tomorrow. A lot of research prior to receiving my phone. Like a kid in a candy store!!
Search tags for this page

motorola a956 will not turn on