Newbie and this whole ROOT thing...

caminator

Reaction score
Hi guys...I'm very new. I think I can figure out how to root...after doing lots and lots of reading. My questions isn't about rooting..as it is about what's next?

What is the reason of rooting, and what do you do after you get it rooted? Do you need to install special things, or does it just open a bunch of new options on the phones settings to play with? Please clarify if possible. Thank you!

DF Smod

Silver Member
Reaction score
:welcome: to the Forum, there is a bunch of information here on the benifits of Rooting your device, and you are on the right track already...it opens the possibilities of your phone

mtz_gto

Reaction score
Hi guys...I'm very new. I think I can figure out how to root...after doing lots and lots of reading. My questions isn't about rooting..as it is about what's next?

What is the reason of rooting, and what do you do after you get it rooted? Do you need to install special things, or does it just open a bunch of new options on the phones settings to play with? Please clarify if possible. Thank you!

My favorite feature is free wifi. If you teather unrooted and open a web page you'll be taken to VERIZONS website where you will be told to pay money for an additional LIMITED data plan. You root then verizon can't tell if your using internet over your phone or connected to several other computers and your golden!

My second favorite is the ROMS and THEMES. Special customized look and feel for your phone making it YOUR PHONE. When you learn about all that and get to overclocking and installing kernals you'll like that you can run your phone to the max, multi task and save battery life opposed to not being rooted and not being to multi task very well and your battery drain faster.

Another awesome thing is Titanium Backup *FREE* (root only), you can save all your data, settings, apps, games etc with one button. Appbrain can't do that...

Also Clockwork Recovery, create/restore backups of your custom ROM and not have to worry about the next install going wrong and things getting upside down.

For example: if you absolutely love the color yellow you can make everything yellow on your phone, the date and time, backgrounds, menus, marketplace, to where your droid will look like a banana. You could even make a custom dancing banana animation for when you turn on your phone if you wanted (called bootanimations).

You can't do that with iCrap.

There is TONS MORE! Do a better search and you'll find with android the possibilitys are endless.

Hope this helps.

buckmarble

Developer
Developer
Theme Developer
Reaction score
The first reason I rooted was because the phone wasn't fast enough to keep up with what I wanted to do with it, so I started with overclocking. There is an excellent overclocking 101 tutorial on here to teach you. The next thing was the FREE wireless tethering or mobile hotspot if you will. After that I went on to flash custom roms and it just gets better from there. With custom roms you can experience a whole slew of different options. Each one has different features. Just keep on trying them until you find one you like. The more you get into it the more fun it is to try new stuff and other peoples idea. Rooting gives you controll over the hardware of your phone.

OP
C

caminator

Reaction score
nice. Thanks for the info...

Also, if I need to return the phone for any reason, can I easily go back to default settings and not have VZW know I did anything to it? Will this cause problems ewith updating the OS or any apps?

Does it "unlock" hidden setting on the phone also?

buckmarble

Developer
Developer
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Unforunately it does not unlock any settings on the stock OS. The only way to get the extra features is with custom roms where the developers have added them in. Depending on what phone you have depends on what roms are available. For warranty stuff you have to unroot. Tagain there are tons of unrooting guide on here too. Just do a search

OP
C

caminator

Reaction score
Sounds good. I have the Fascinate, so I suspect there aren't much for custom roms at this point. I wonder if it even makes it worth rooting...seems like the custom roms would be the biggest reason to root...who knows.

buckmarble

Developer
Developer
Theme Developer
Reaction score
I'm a droid 1 user, so I don't keep up on what is available for other phone. Since the fascinate is brand new I doubt there are any out for it. If you are one who would make use of free tethering, wired or wireless, then rooting would be worth it. I use it all the time.

OP
C

caminator

Reaction score
I'm sorry, but can you explain tethering to me? Exactly how do you use it in your environment?

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I'm a droid 1 user, so I don't keep up on what is available for other phone. Since the fascinate is brand new I doubt there are any out for it. If you are one who would make use of free tethering, wired or wireless, then rooting would be worth it. I use it all the time.

No, I don't believe there are any custom ROMs available for this phone. I was surprised that it was rooted already.

DF Smod

Silver Member
Reaction score
caminator, I went in VZW today just to check out the Fascinate, what a nice screen size and display, I was indeed "fascinated" by the Live Wallpaper Interactive Experience...nice Device :)

As far as the wireless tethering, it is the same thing as the mobile hot spot, you can run a wireless device ie: laptop off of your phone's 3G wireless network

hijackerjack

Reaction score
Buckmarble, where are you getting this whole overclocking the fascinate thing from..? There aren't even any kernels... let alone the source code for the fascinate.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

buckmarble

Developer
Developer
Theme Developer
Reaction score
If you read back in my posts I didn't say anything about overclocking it. I was simply responding to the OP about what I did with rooting my droid. And I also said I didn't know much about the fascinate.