Newb: Need advice on Craiglist droid

Discussion in 'Android Hacks and Help' started by Karnivor, Jan 5, 2011.

1. Karnivor

Karnivor New Member

I currently own a LG Env 3 phone on a verizon family plan. please feel free to ask questions and I will do the best to answer them. I have never had a droid or any smart phone before hand. I have a friend at work that can help me set up the ROM, but have some questions.

I found a droid 1 on craigslist going for $100. The seller has all fees paid and seems to be a descent human being. I want to upgrade from my Env3, but do not have an extra $30 a month for a data plan. I want to use this phone for internet, camera and making calls. I have read that I have to activate the phone to my account and have heard that you can do it over the phone. So i need to know if i buy the droid on craigslist can i have it activate it without verizon prompting a $30 when I call them.

I want to buy the phone, root it, and activate it so i can still use it to make calls as well.

Questions:

Will it be easy to activate the phone once I buy it?
    Can I still make calls with the rooted droid?
    is this process possible without owning a droid beforehand?

I have been trying to research this idea all night and just need some answers. I would greatly appreciate any and all advice. I am pretty tech savy and know how to work well with torrents and simple hacking. Thank you everyone and I hope to hear from you soon.
  2. xkape

xkape Premium Member Theme Developer Premium Member

Answer - Activating the phone is pretty easy yes.
    - A rooted droid does make calls
    - The process is possible without owning a droid beforehand
    - No data plan, no droid. (Your phone basically wouldn't function without a data plan. My guess to why is that the phone is pretty dependent on the internet, GPS, synching..whatever. Hell I'm not even sure your could even use contacts without internet access.

Point being, you have to shell out the $30 a month if you want a Droid. The only other option would be to have the droid for internet only without activating it. You could then use wi-fi from your house or McDonalds or whatever. But remember, that scenario would only allow you to pretty much surf the internet.

This is all from my understanding of what I have seen, read, etc...
  3. Backnblack

Backnblack Premium Member Premium Member

I would not pay for the device unless the seller met me at a VZW store and it activates.
  4. xkape

xkape Premium Member Theme Developer Premium Member

Good call there. Protect Yourself. If the phone was reported stolen, Verizon will not activate it under any cirumstance. You would be out $100.
  5. teddyearp

teddyearp New Member

Just for kicks, I second everything that's already been mentioned in this thread. You _might_ ask the seller to email you the MEID so you can call VZW to make sure it is clean. However, as xkape already posted you will NOT be able to activate it with a simple phone call as you will be forced to get a data plan.

Usually, if you didn't know, you can activate another phone you bought privately (or another from your collection, lol) on VZW by dialing *228, option 3, enter the phone # for the line, the last four of your SS# and you're done. However, if the 'new' phone you're trying to activate requires a change to your plan, you'll have to call VZW customer service to complete the task and then dial *228 option 1 (or *22899) to program your number, etc. to the phone.

Finally, go to the various FAQ/hacks/hacking help/rescue squad sections here and look for the stickies that explain what rooting does to the phone before you do it. It changes NOTHING as far as basic phone functions.

good luck