Newb Here

Discussion in 'Droid Mod' started by themisiek1, Apr 17, 2010.

1. themisiek1

themisiek1 New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I'm so lost. All these the threads about rooting and stuff and I don't understand. I followed all the video tuturials and picture tutorials for doing it and I keep getting the same error.

E: Signature verification failed.

I typed it into google and got everything from, maybe your zip file is named accidentally .zip.zip so just delete the extra .zip to you installed 2.1. You can't root without going back. Or youll have to falsh the 2.0.1 sbf.

They also talk about some FAQ which I can't find and these terms like sbf and 2.0.1 and 2.1 and rooting without going back. What does this mean. I'm so confused.

Help. Please. Thank you.

2. droidman101

droidman101 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    ok. root=administrator, basically lets you do anything to your phone
    Droid used to be on android 2.0.1 and there was an update so its now on android 2.1. No one has made an update.zip that lets you go straight from android 2.1 stock(unrooted) to android 2.1 root, but you can make your phone go back with a ".sbf" file that you can "flash"(or install) from your computer to your phone.
    Now, there are 2 ways to get root on 2.1:
    you can flash the 2.0.1 sbf and there is an update.zip that lets you go from 2.0.1 to 2.1 rooted(the update.zip wont work if you already have 2.1, hence the sbf )
    You can flash the 2.1 sbf with root.(can be used no matter what)

Do a search on the forums using the search button and you will find one of those.

3. christim

christim Super Moderator
    Rescue Squad

Ratings:
    +2

Good chance you don't have sprecovery installed.
    Which Rom are you trying to install and from which thread do you have its install instructions? There are many paths you might have taken to have ended up with the error you have.
    screenshots here: Custom Recovery Image | Root Your Droid
    you should have the 3rd image, not the 4th.
    [​IMG]
    Do you have this screen when attempting to install the rom?