Newb going to UK need help....

al19

Reaction score
I have used Verizon world phones (Blackberries since world Android phones are new) quite often over the last couple of years and find their rates for email and web quite reasonable. The US data plan is $30 a month and the global unlimited plan is $65 a month so for 10 days it comes to less than $15 extra (with taxes). Verizon just charges for the days you are away but you need to count the day coming back if you used the service before leaving. You need to call them and set it up a few days before you leave. Phone calls on the other hand can be expensive with VZW. A cheap phone with a local SIM or pay as you go SIM works for calls if two numbers is not a problem.

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using DroidForums App

OP
Rocko

Rocko

Reaction score
I have used Verizon world phones (Blackberries since world Android phones are new) quite often over the last couple of years and find their rates for email and web quite reasonable. The US data plan is $30 a month and the global unlimited plan is $65 a month so for 10 days it comes to less than $15 extra (with taxes). Verizon just charges for the days you are away but you need to count the day coming back if you used the service before leaving. You need to call them and set it up a few days before you leave. Phone calls on the other hand can be expensive with VZW. A cheap phone with a local SIM or pay as you go SIM works for calls if two numbers is not a problem.

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using DroidForums App

This is what I am weighing. I assume with the UK sim card I will have a different number, which is a bit of a hassle.

zero7404

Reaction score
as for this model (d2g) .... if u get it, have it unlocked so that u can use a foreign sim (prepaid). if you dont have vzw service or are going to join now, vzw may not unlock your phone free of charge so you might have to pay an unlock service for the codes.

keep in mind 2 very important things: some d2g's and droid pros are either defective or are deliberately unlockable. such was the case with my first device, i tried to unlock within the first 30 days of getting it, and it wasnt accepting the codes.
since ive been a vzw customer for a year i exchanged it for a new one and that one unlocked fine.
the other thing you need is an active foreign sim, you cannot unlock the phone without it.

this is a bit of a gamble, but thats the way things are with verizon, so even though you think youre getting a trouble-free device, itd be really annoying to find you cant use it overseas AFTER youve taken the trip.

i think the problem might also cause problems for those that choose to use verizon's sim and global package as well if its a hardware issue with the sim part of the phone.

sent via wireless device

Great point. Could I get a UK or other sim card and try to unlock it here? If it does unlock, would I simply put the verizon card back in until the trip and be back to normal?

i left my foreign sim in the phone, i keep the radio mode to cdma only since there's no point in having it global because it uses more battery to scan the gsm networks.

it's a very good idea to unlock the phone at the point of sale, so if you have an open account with verizon for at least a few months, good standing, then call global support while you're at the store, hand the rep over to the store clerk, as well as a foreign sim, and have them unlock it. if it won't unlock, then demand another d2g.

OP
Rocko

Rocko

Reaction score
as for this model (d2g) .... if u get it, have it unlocked so that u can use a foreign sim (prepaid). if you dont have vzw service or are going to join now, vzw may not unlock your phone free of charge so you might have to pay an unlock service for the codes.

keep in mind 2 very important things: some d2g's and droid pros are either defective or are deliberately unlockable. such was the case with my first device, i tried to unlock within the first 30 days of getting it, and it wasnt accepting the codes.
since ive been a vzw customer for a year i exchanged it for a new one and that one unlocked fine.
the other thing you need is an active foreign sim, you cannot unlock the phone without it.

this is a bit of a gamble, but thats the way things are with verizon, so even though you think youre getting a trouble-free device, itd be really annoying to find you cant use it overseas AFTER youve taken the trip.

i think the problem might also cause problems for those that choose to use verizon's sim and global package as well if its a hardware issue with the sim part of the phone.

sent via wireless device

Great point. Could I get a UK or other sim card and try to unlock it here? If it does unlock, would I simply put the verizon card back in until the trip and be back to normal?

i left my foreign sim in the phone, i keep the radio mode to cdma only since there's no point in having it global because it uses more battery to scan the gsm networks.

it's a very good idea to unlock the phone at the point of sale, so if you have an open account with verizon for at least a few months, good standing, then call global support while you're at the store, hand the rep over to the store clerk, as well as a foreign sim, and have them unlock it. if it won't unlock, then demand another d2g.

Yeah, I am in the US now, how can I get a UK sim here?

zero7404

Reaction score
not sure if you can buy them online, maybe try looking around the internet ...
any sim from any country outside the US should work. if you have a friend or family member that travels and has one, that would work as well.

i have 3 and keep them around because each has it's own phone number. but now that i have a d2g, i may look into a new one that works with prepaid data plans.

elydoug

Reaction score
I have traveled throughout Europe with a Storm 1 on VZW and their global plan. If you dont use the phone and text too often, the pro-rated plan is BY FAR the easiest way to go. It works out to about $2.50/day unlimited data. We made a few calls at .99 to 1.49 per min. but mainly used IM's like Blackberry messenger and Google. The GPS function was flawless as well as email and any other data. Just call VZW and tell them what dates you will be there and they will make sure your phone works. It was absolutely seamless. As we travelid to various countries, the phone would just automatically connect to the network. I was in about 15 different countries and the phone ALWAYS worked. No configuration was required at all. Just make sure you give yourself enough overlap on the arrival and return. We got bumped off of our flight in London and my phone got turned off on that date. The call from the airport pay phone to turn my phone back on cost $34.00!!! Switching sim cards and dealing with different phone numbers is just too much for me.

Last edited:

zero7404

Reaction score
I have traveled throughout Europe with a Storm 1 on VZW and their global plan. If you dont use the phone and text too often, the pro-rated plan is BY FAR the easiest way to go. It works out to about $2.50/day unlimited data. We made a few calls at .99 to 1.49 per min. but mainly used IM's like Blackberry messenger and Google. The GPS function was flawless as well as email and any other data. Just call VZW and tell them what dates you will be there and they will make sure your phone works. It was absolutely seamless. As we travelid to various countries, the phone would just automatically connect to the network. I was in about 15 different countries and the phone ALWAYS worked. No configuration was required at all. Just make sure you give yourself enough overlap on the arrival and return. We got bumped off of our flight in London and my phone got turned off on that date. The call from the airport pay phone to turn my phone back on cost $34.00!!! Switching sim cards and dealing with different phone numbers is just too much for me.

did you pay the $ 65 that verizon wants in order to just be able to use the phone overseas with the included vodafone sim ?

the per-minute rates aren't that bad, it's the additional $ 65 that most ppl want to avoid ...

Last edited:

elydoug

Reaction score
The $65 IS the cost per month for unlimited data. If you only go for 15 days, you are charged half of that cost. Thats why I say it costs about $2.50 per day(actually a little less). It is not $65 plus per day charges. I have done this a few times and once, never even charged at all!

elydoug

Reaction score
I think there is a small charge to use voice and text (4.99?) at a reduced rate but the data charge is a per day charge that would total 64.99/month. Unless they have changed their policy in the past 5 months....

zero7404

Reaction score
no, the data is not unlimited, there are limits per month for 65$, as well as higher cost for more data. you can look up the plans for each country on vzw's site.

voice& sms are extra charges.

sent via wireless device

elydoug

Reaction score
I have done this for the past 3 summers in 14 countries. I went to the horses mouth to get set up and was told that Unlimited meant no more that 5GB/month. So no, it isn't really unlimited, but 5GB/month was enough for a family of 4 with moderate surfing... If in doubt, call VZW.