new wifi 20$ ish

kjohn

Reaction score
SO I am trying to understand the new $20 for 2gb wifi app on the droid X. I currently use my moto droid with BB rom and wifi, I can use a lot of data.... I mean a lot, bc at work my internet is blocked so I tether. 5+2 additional gb is not enough. With the Droid I have now I get free wifi tethering(even in excess of 10gb per month). will this be possible with the droid X??

Backnblack

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7+ 256gb
Maybe, Maybe not....Hard to tell since they are not out yet....

Reaction score
that also brings up a good question that if you kept the droid you have with the wifi will they see this and charge or can they not tell because it is rooted?

Backnblack

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7+ 256gb
that also brings up a good question that if you kept the droid you have with the wifi will they see this and charge or can they not tell because it is rooted?

Are you talking about keeping it with no VZW plan? If so then you can use it on wifi as much as you like, It'll just be a crippled Droid.

MiXoLoGiSt

Reaction score

Are you talking about keeping it with no VZW plan? If so then you can use it on wifi as much as you like, It'll just be a crippled Droid.

No i think what they are asking is will Verizon be able to tell you are tethering if you are rooted.

Handshake

Reaction score
Ya they are talking about using the official verizon tethering that is where they tether you... as for using the open source one we use now... i dont think they can as no one has gotten charged yet. If you tell verizon you are tethering now they get all defensive on the phone asking where you got it and I actually got threatened they would cancel my account and put me on a black list haha!

OP
K

kjohn

Reaction score
yeah, I am basically wondering if we will still be able to use the open source wifi tethering, and I will not be upgrading to the X until I find out. It is a dealbreaker for me.... the day verizon puts a cap on data is the day I cry and buy an iphone4g

Backnblack

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7+ 256gb
yeah, I am basically wondering if we will still be able to use the open source wifi tethering, and I will not be upgrading to the X until I find out. It is a dealbreaker for me.... the day verizon puts a cap on data is the day I cry and buy an iphone4g

You do know that AT&T already has data caps in place.....

Reaction score

haha and no one would want that

Reaction score
You do know that why we have unlimited net on the phone and 2gb tether limit that iphones have a 2gb limit total right?

Reaction score
Not sure I really understand your question but I'll try anyways. Yeah you can tether for free if your rooted or you but something like Pdanet. But the $20 is just for turning your phone into a wifi hotspot for up to five devices with a 2gd a month restriction. I think you have pay for the $30 a month for the tether and wifi option and you get 5gd a month. I may be confused though. But I don't think the $20 a month let's you tether. I use Pdanet for that.

Sent from Android Maniac's DROIDX using DROIDFORUMS.app

rwaustin

Reaction score
Forget that. Go to the market for apps and get z4root free!. Then market again and get barnacle free! Install z4 and then barnacle and you can broadcast. I am not impressed with the speed but if you need to snag a wifi then this will work.

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums App