New, Wide Eyed and Amazed!

Brick2Droid

Reaction score
My sweet and geeky kids just gave their semi geeky dad (built my last 3 desktop computers, installed my own surround sound system etc.) an htc Droid Incredible.

I carried around a nice respectable clam shell style phone before that and was considering an Android powered tablet but wanted to wait for the new Gingerbread version of Android. I had been exchanging e-mails with them about it and I guess that's what motivated them to give me this incredible "Incredible" phone that has a 308 page pdf file manual!

I discovered and joined this site when my new "phone" made suddenly and unexpectedly changes like: making a photo I took my new wallpaper, changed various setting like disconnecting from my Wi-Fi randomly, GPS location on then off etc. Worst of all battery use went from 40 hours to 9 hours before requiring a charge showing the Android OS going from 22% to 94% of what is using the battery. Upon rebooting it went down to 64% and now looking to see it sitting at 7% but the wireless connection is off again even though it shows I'm connected.

What have I missed, can I close the droid obex service (and what is it)?

Loving it but still a bit overwhelmed,

Bob C.

252chevyboyz

Silver Member
Reaction score
Hello, custom kernels can eat battery with the os if you are rooted. If you not rooted maybe a battery pull or hard reset could help. Maybe a trip to the vzw store could help especially if it's not rooted and still under motorolas warranty then you might just get another phone in the mail. Any customization done to the incredible?

OP
Brick2Droid

Brick2Droid

Reaction score
Hey 252chevyboyz,

I just got the phone last week as a Christmas gift so it is still under warrantee and because this is my 1st smart phone I’m still learning what it does and have not tried to modify it in anyway.​

I guess by “hard reset” you mean shut the phone off not just have it in standby? If that’s true it is what I did that got the Android OS battery use to go from 94% to 64% and when I did it again it went to 22% of battery use. Checking just now the Android OS battery use is at 9% with Wi-Fi at 30% and the Cell standby at 29%. I will remove and reinstall the battery too and visit my local verizon store if it does this again. Perhaps a small point but it is an htc phone not a Motorola and I’m just learning what ‘root” means so I’ve not done any of that.

Thanks very much for your timely reply!

Bob C.​

Martin030908

Super Moderator
Reaction score
hard reset is a factory reset.

there's an option to do that in the settings.

it will restore the device to 'out of the box' conditions.
VZW tech support is going to have you do one anyway should you go in or call... so you can get that out of the way first, save yourself some time.

252chevyboyz

Silver Member
Reaction score
Well martin gave you some good advice and sound facts but yea you can go into settings and do a factory reset (aka hard reset). Let us know if that fixes it or if you can't find the path to get to it

OP
Brick2Droid

Brick2Droid

Reaction score
Hello guys,

I found the the “reset” section of the manual describing both the hard and soft reset. I have just done the soft reset ( remove and then reinstall the battery ) as has been suggested and I’ll wait to see if this does the trick. If not I’ll copy my contact list and do a hard reset.​

Thanks very much for the suggestions and explanations.​

Bob C.​

252chevyboyz

Silver Member
Reaction score
It's no problem we are here to help. Hope it will solve the problem. As long as you have backup assistant installed on your phone you will be good. I had a warranty replacement D2 sent to me and had to activate an old BB storm for 2 days while that was shipped to me and I entered my cell number and password into backup assistant and it loaded all 187 contacts on the Storm. Then when the replacement D2 got to me I activated it and did the same in backup assisitant and loaded all 187 again

OP
Brick2Droid

Brick2Droid

Reaction score
WoooHooo!dancedroid
The soft reset (remove and then reinstall the battery) seems to have worked well. The Android OS battery use is hovering between 2-4% with GPS location on!
Thank you guys!​

252chevyboyz

Silver Member
Reaction score
Glad you could get it resolved. A battery pull is normal for me. I do one every everyday even tho its prolly not needed.

OP
Brick2Droid

Brick2Droid

Reaction score
Glad you could get it resolved. A battery pull is normal for me. I do one every everyday even tho its prolly not needed.

Chevy,
Everyday, wadda concept! I've never ever done that before with my any of my other phones (I guess the fanciest previous one was a Razor) and it would not have occurred to me that would be of any use.

Aloha Hawaiian Princess,
Thank you for the welcome....Kind people indeed!

illmatic636

Reaction score

Chevy,
Everyday, wadda concept! I've never ever done that before with my any of my other phones (I guess the fanciest previous one was a Razor) and it would not have occurred to me that would be of any use.

Aloha Hawaiian Princess,
Thank you for the welcome....Kind people indeed!

I you ever get rooted, head over to the The Ultimate Droid section here. They have a very nice, stable, and efficient Rom for your device.
Believe me, you'll thank me.
http://www.droidforums.net/forum/ul...ll-devices-d1-inc-evo-4g-desire-cdma-gsm.html

From what I hear, your D'Inc with it's Sense UI is a battery hogg!!!!!!!! You'll enjoy Froyo 2.2.1 until Gingerbread is stable.

OP
Brick2Droid

Brick2Droid

Reaction score
illmatic636,

Stability, efficiency and extended battery life are good things but I'm not sure I'm ready for "rooting" yet.

I looked at your link and recognized some of what is on that The Ultimate Droid 2.5.0 list but because I've only had the phone for under two weeks I'm still learning about it ( imagine my surprise to discover a 308 page pdf manual!) But thanks for the link..... Soon I hope!