NEW: When Will the ThunderBolt be Available for Purchase?

When will it be available?

• Thursday, March 3rd

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Friday, March 4th

• Thursday, March 10th

• Thursday, March 17th

• Later than March 17th

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

swamp

Reaction score
Correct me if I'm wrong, but as I understood it, 3G is strictly for data, while 1X is strictly for voice. If you've ever watched closely on your 3G VZW phone, when you make a call it switches to 1X. The reason that voice and data didn't come simultaneously was the fact that 3G and 1X used two different antennas within the phone.

However, with LTE, voice AND data can come through at the same time while only being connected through the 4G LTE antenna. Also, I know I read somewhere that new VZW 3G phones will do simultaneous voice and data albeit the data will be a joke, apparently the reasoning was atleast partially to keep new iPhone uses happy because of all the hype AT&T always made about it talking and surfing.

The TB in fact is supposed to have simultaneous voice and data over 3G (see attachment). However, as you mentioned it probably won't be very good. I think this is both unfortunate and a bit sneaky by VZW. I was fully expecting simultaneous voice and date in NON 4G areas. Oh well... However, its 4G is strictly data only for now. VZW is talking about VoLTE and have tested it. I think it will require a hardware change not available on the TB (could be software only, but that would be highly unlikely IMO). Either way VoLTE is coming to their 4G LTE network. Thus the simultaneous voice and data they are talking about is really 4G LTE for data and 3G (1X) for voice.

I'm not currently on Verizon but I think you are correct about voice and data using different standards.

3G is a general term, both voice and data travel over a 3G network.

"1X" = CDMA2000 1X, which is technically a 3rd generation standard, 3G. It can be used or both voice and data but probably VZW only uses it for voice.

"3G" = CDMA2000 EV-DO (or EV), typically used for broadband data (DO = data only).

I do not think VZWs "3G" and "1X" require different antennas. Both are in the 700 Mhz band. But perhaps it is 2 identical ones, one for data, one for voice.

Attachments

• www.engadget4-580x435.jpg
    www.engadget4-580x435.jpg
    35 KB · Views: 306

swamp

Reaction score
The first pic you posted was a commercial that surfaced online, and said "Febrero" at the end, but went to private shortly after. There was an English version also, but I can't remember if it said "February" or "Coming Soon", maybe somebody else remembers.

The second pic was a leaked internal Best Buy document, it is legit. The original date for release was 2/14, but it was never "hard" (subject to change, depending on VZW's will or HTC's ability to provide ample supply) and it got delayed indefinitely when VZW told them it wasn't ready yet.

There is a lot going on that have made people expect this phone and be angry at this delay (yes, I'm calling it that, even though there has been no official public announcement yet, it has undeniably been delayed numerous times), even though they are technically within their projected Q1 window still.

Thanks for the clarifications. I wanted to make sure I had my history correct. I think once we confirm whether or not the English version of that commercial said "February" or "Coming soon" we can both be even more confident in our "defense" of the practical view/stance that "there has been no delay". Cheers.

chrstdvd

Reaction score
All of this waiting around for the Tbolt has made me start analyzing why I need a smart phone and what I actually do with it. Bottom line is that I do not use it for phone calls, only texting, email, surfing, and streaming talk radio. I never got into playing video games, so, the only game apps I have are pool and Free Cell.

I will not get 4G for at least two years, if ever.

The things I use my phone for will not be effected by a dual core or more ram or an hdmi port etc.

My D2 is perfect for what I do except for one thing. Screen size. I do not need a new phone is my decision. So I am sorta glad I have had this time to figure it all out and keep my money until something else comes out that better fits how I use my phone.

Kboss375

Reaction score
^^ I agree. The longer Verizon takes the more I talk myself out of buying it.

The longer they wait, the closer to bionic we get. That's what's keeping me calm.

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums App

NikoB

Reaction score
I was in a Verizon store in St. Louis yesterday and actually held a dummy Thunderbolt. I have been waiting to get a smartphone for almost a year, first thinking I wanted a Verizon iPhone. I have been gently pushed to an Android phone by two of my children who are in the IT field. Now I am just tired of Verizon's drama over the release of new phones to end so that I can finally enjoy the technology of the Android phone.

I know I could purchase a Droid X or Incredible but I prefer "this year" technology over phones that are almost a year old. Actually, I would like to purchase the Incredible 2, if and when it ever gets released, due to the fact I live in an area which probably won't se LTE until near the end of the phase in by Verizon.

I am in my mid-fifties and don't usually submit to forums, but like many of you I am dumbfounded as to why Verizon insists on making such a drawn out production of releasing new phones. I thought the iPhone would never get released and when it finally did it came with apparant lackluster purchasing from the buying public. We never saw the news reports of crowds rushing the verizon stores to pick up Verizon iPhones like we did when the iPad was released. And releasing it only a couple of months before Apple's rumored release of it's latest updated phone (iPhone 5) was enough of a deterent to keep me from having interest in purchasing one.

I am using a defective LG ENVY Touch and in January a Verizon rep suggested I just wait until February 14 and I would be able to purchase the Thunderbolt. Since the 14th Verizon continues to tell me to limp along with my damaged phone just a little while longer as the Thunderbolt in "coming out soon". After being a Verizon customer for 20 years (with Ameritech prior to Verizon buyout) I would appreciate a little more honesty for my loyality. I don't blame the reps because I feel they are just as blind as we are, but I do fualt Verizon management for their POOR product handling.

I completely agree with you. I'm in my late 30's so I've developed the patience that comes from maturity but it is frustrating just he handling of the release. To stay quiet and not even explain the delay is just mind blowing to me. Especially when you consider that some of your customers are at the end of their contract and can simply go get an HTC phone from another carrier. My thing with the TB is that it is the latest in tech plus it's HTC. I love the Sense UI so I am really wanting this phone and have no problems waiting..IF I KNEW WHY I WAS WAITING!! I strongly believe when I compare this phone to other HTC phones that are available that the TB is better. The idea that Verizon refuses to recognize that a smalll minority of their customers are eagerly anticipating this phone and just want to know when they can buy it is insulting. We are the ones that go and tell the uniformed majority they should buy this phone, just like your sons educated you. I'm very disappointed in Verizon because I do think its them..not HTC that is causing this problem.

Serbeus

Reaction score
I'm 100% sure the English version said "Coming Soon"

I remember making a note of it in my head.

Reaction score
I feel you. in fact i just called verizon earlier and ordered a 32GB iphone. im done with this phone. cant wait till gingerbread comes out and the EVO already has its update pushed but VZW "delays" the update so they can work out "the bugs"

lol. im done.

I have been at the same point quite a few times during this botched launch. I really want the TB but I have been waiting to upgrade since July of last year! Verizon was nice enough to replace my BB storm 1 with a Storm 2, and many S2's since then since they all seem to break, but I really need a new phone. The iPhone seems like a solid device. Does it have a ginormous screen? no, but the screen it has looks pretty dang good.

I am not a Mac user by any stretch of the word so changing over to an Apple product is a little scary. It's starting to look like a better option since this TB phone doesn't look like it's coming out anytime soon.

NikoB

Reaction score
I'd also like to add that I think Verizon is jacking around with the release date because they are hard at work trying to figure out how to charge more on their pricing plans as evidenced by the CFO during his speech at Morgan Stanley. I'm sure Verizon wants to gouge our eyes out over 4G speeds when most of us don't even have access to those speeds.

Natejka7273

Reaction score
I don't know. Maybe it's just me but I don't really care if it's buggy upon release. What's the worst it could be? Poor battery life? I'm getting the huge extended battery anyway. Skype not perfect? I really don't see me using this feature much. Buggy UI? Unlikely since the version people saw at CES worked well. 4G not at 4G speeds? Can't be as bad as the Atrix's "4G" speeds. Handshake issues? Turn 4G off when making calls. Random reboots? My current phone does this ten times a day so it can't be any worse than that.

Seriously, as long as it's an issue that CAN be fixed with a firmware update or software update in the future I don't care. However, I do feel sorry for the customer service reps who have to deal with people complaining because not everything works absolutely perfectly.

I say March 10th for Best Buy, maybe 17th for other retailers.

NikoB

Reaction score
I don't know. Maybe it's just me but I don't really care if it's buggy upon release. What's the worst it could be? Poor battery life? I'm getting the huge extended battery anyway. Skype not perfect? I really don't see me using this feature much. Buggy UI? Unlikely since the version people saw at CES worked well. 4G not at 4G speeds? Can't be as bad as the Atrix's "4G" speeds. Handshake issues? Turn 4G off when making calls. Random reboots? My current phone does this ten times a day so it can't be any worse than that.

Seriously, as long as it's an issue that CAN be fixed with a firmware update or software update in the future I don't care. However, I do feel sorry for the customer service reps who have to deal with people complaining because not everything works absolutely perfectly.

I say March 10th for Best Buy, maybe 17th for other retailers.
I don't think we get this phone til Mar 31st

Status
Not open for further replies.