New Verizon Case with Car Mount

Flandry

Reaction score
Tonight I stopped by my local Verizon store to see about exchanging my shell/holster case again. My case has the typically flaw in the top right corner that won't allow the phone to sit flat on a surface. I tried the one they had in stock, but it was worse that the one I had. Since I was at the end of the refund period, I decided to return it.

As the rep started to ring me up, another rep who'd just come out of the back told him they'd just gotten in a cool new case for the Droid. They both went to the back and returned a few minutes later with something I'd never seen before.

The case comes in a cardboard box with Droid graphics. The back of the box reads:
Snap-on hardcover and mount offer a hands-free solution for your Navigation capable phone. Hard cover and mount are compatible with all CoatCase Duo Hard Covers. Easily adjusts for convenience. Designed for quick installation and removal from your windshield.

Package Contains: Snap-on Cover and Car Mount

The case is thick and looks a lot like the one for by Body Glove. It features the same style of belt clip. But the bezel on the front isn't as high and the finish is smooth, though the coating has just a touch of tackiness to it, so it's not totally slippery. The sides do appear to be thinner than the Body Glove.

The attaching clips on the back of the display are also quite thin and don't look like they'll interfere with the slider at all. Like the Body Glove case, it's a bit difficult to get it on the phone.

The clip is the standard rotating/locking style that I really hate. But I'll admit that it can work as a stand to prop the phone up to watch stuff. Turn the clip straight up to get a shallow angle, sideways to angle the phone more. If the USB jack wasn't on the bottom, you could use it with Dockrunner and bypass getting a dock.

Stay tuned for Part 2.

Attachments

• Box.jpg
    Box.jpg
    36.8 KB · Views: 783
  • Phone-Front.jpg
    Phone-Front.jpg
    72.5 KB · Views: 704
  • Phone-Back.jpg
    Phone-Back.jpg
    59.3 KB · Views: 662
  • Case-Stand.jpg
    Case-Stand.jpg
    30.1 KB · Views: 663

NickWgnr

Reaction score
Im pretty sure I saw this about 2 weeks ago at my store... Then again I wasn't really paying attention. Its cool that they have a combo pack but the hard cases that Verizon comes out with for everything suck in my opinion.

Wagner :motdroidvert:

OP
F

Flandry

Reaction score
Of course what sets this case apart is that it comes with a car mount . The mount is made of thick plastic and has a quick-release suction-cup on one end and a u-shaped bracket on the other. Three screws allow you to adjust the angle of the arm, angle of the phone and turn the phone to the left or right. These can be tightened down once you have things set how you like, though the one turning the phone left and right doesn't seem to tighten up much.

To mount the phone, you simply detach the clip, then slide the clip post onto the car mount bracket. The phone is held on the bracket by friction, which wouldn't seem ultra secure, but it's pretty tight (at least at this point). There are no magnets in the mount. So you'll have to enter car mode manually.

All in all, it's a pretty cool, if not perfect, idea and the fit and finish is not bad at all. I give kudos to "USA Wireless Solutions" - whoever they are. But I don't know that I'll be keeping it. The first problem I have is with the clip. This style of clip always makes cell phone twice as thick and stick out considerably when worn. The clip's attachment ring also prevents the phone from sitting flat when the clip is removed. In addition, the case also doesn't provide any protection for the phone's screen when worn because it turns the screen outward, unlike the shell/holster from Verizon and the Innocase from Seidio. Finally, the case is somewhat thicker than I'd prefer. But it could be a perfect solution for some of you. And at $29.99, it's considerably cheaper than the only current alternative case with a car mount (Seidio).

Attachments

• Mount.jpg
    Mount.jpg
    66.2 KB · Views: 489
  • Car-Clip-Close.jpg
    Car-Clip-Close.jpg
    25.2 KB · Views: 871
  • Car-Clip.jpg
    Car-Clip.jpg
    55.6 KB · Views: 670

ohioDroid

Reaction score
I bought my shell/holster case online, and have the same problem where it doesn't sit flat. Think I could return it to a store?

TheOldFart

Reaction score
This one doesn't have the magnet docking mode like the seidio one. :-(

No, but it doesn't cost $100 either for a case, clip (holster) and car dock. It isn't as good as the Seidio combo, but it is less than 1/3 the price. The Seidio had better be a better solution for more than 3X the price.

lockman

Reaction score
Sometimes I think I'm the only person that has the hard case that likes it. Mine fits great, and sits flat. I modified the car dock, (having to modify it sucked, they never should sell those two things together,but it wasn't hard to do,) and built a Lego dock. Gonna get the Seidio dock for my other car. All in all, it's a good case for the money.

That case sucks just because of the stud on the back like the Body Glove.

mbeatle

Reaction score
Boo, why couldn't they just make the existing car mount a touch larger to accomodate the phone with a case? I don't want an obtrusive round catch-all sticking out of the back of my phone, or walk around with my phone's screen exposed on my belt. Come on, Verizon!

INFERNO

Reaction score
I just bought mine today... and I must say it's a great combo. I don't use the clip, and the square mount on back didn't bother me, since I wear relaxed and not tight jeans. My case went on perfect and fits very tight. The texture and design is very much like a seido. Also as far as the magnet goes, I don't care for one since the 2.1 clock app does the same job, or you could use dockrunner if your on 2.0. But I only really have use for it with car home where I can do searches and use the Nav. BTW It was only 24.99 since I get 25% off. Thanks Flandry for spending my money.

Samdari

Reaction score
Where did you buy this? I cannot find any mention of it anywhere online, except this thread.

OP
F

Flandry

Reaction score
I bought it at my local Verizon store - an actual one, not a Verizon Authorized Dealer location. I just looked and I still don't see it on Verizon's website.

Now that I've used it for a couple of weeks, I'll add some likes and dislikes:
+ The suction cup mount is very solid. I've left it on my uncleaned windshield for a week, through some 15 degree weather, and I have complete confidence in it's ability to stay put.
+ The mount has good adjustability and hasn't loosened at all since I tightened everything down the first evening I got it.
+ The extra depth on the back of the case does a good job of protecting the camera lens.
+ Sound is loud and clear from the speaker while the phone is mounted.

~ With the phone mounted, the camera can shoot video of the road while you drive. BUT the mount blocks the right half the view.

- The coating on the case, similar to what's on the back of the Droid, feels great. But it's already starting to wear away around the sharp inside edges of the case (around the keyboard/back of the screen). This despite the fact that I've been pretty gentle with it and haven't used the real keyboard much.
- Like all cases of this sort, it's possible for the keyboard to get opened if the phone is bumped against something, which can unknowingly turn on the phone. This has happened to me twice as I put on coats. Cases like the shell/holster combo and Seidio Innocase are superior here because they hold the phone closed when holstered.
- The thickness of the case puts the edge going around the screen right up against the top row of keys on the keyboard. It doesn't cover them, but it does make the top keys a little less easy to hit. From what I've read the Seidio Innocase suffers from the same problem.​

creflo

Reaction score
I asked for this same combo as a result of your original post.
Only one was available, and I believe the box had already been opened.
I like the thicker, slicker feel and like many I am not a big fan of the swivel clip style of belt holder.
I will try to get used tol it.

The things that make me contemplate taking it back:
- the belt clip is starting to deform under abuse
- my suction cup does NOT hold well. For now, the arm rests on the dash.

justjered

Reaction score
Yeah totally interested in getting this... I have a convertible which if crap ever happens, the phone sitting in the cup holder would mean it goes flying into no where outside the car...

Anyways, is there a UPC on the box or anything? This product isnt listed in verizonwireless, cant find on ebay or anywhere else online...

unix.punkx

Silver Member
Reaction score
I saw that at my Verizon store the other day as well! Alas, i like having a naked Droid and already have the Car Mount (which i love)

Sooo Win Win

creflo

Reaction score
... is there a UPC on the box or anything? This product isnt listed in verizonwireless, cant find on ebay or anywhere else online...
Here are a couple of pics.

Attachments

• 2010-01-23 19.52.49.jpg
    2010-01-23 19.52.49.jpg
    928.6 KB · Views: 257
  • 2010-01-23 19.53.29.jpg
    2010-01-23 19.53.29.jpg
    729.6 KB · Views: 256