New User

MissDixie256

Reaction score
Hello All,

I am the proud new owner of a Samsung Fascinate that will be delivered on Tuesday. I have never used the Driod software so I am going to assume like everything, there will be a learning curve, coming from a Samsung Reality.

I have a few quick questions.

1. Apps that are strongly recommended? I use Facebook and do Yahoo Messenger and that is about it. (So I am definately looking to branch out!)

2. Down-falls or limitations with the phone?

3. Is Unlimited Data really a must-have? I already have the 150mb plan.

Thanks,
Heather!

mwhartman

Super Moderator/RS
Premium Member
Reaction score
Welcome! Good to have you with us. I have a rooted Droid with an unlimited data. I would not want to try a limited plan. What do you expect to use you phone for?

Hello All,

I am the proud new owner of a Samsung Fascinate that will be delivered on Tuesday. I have never used the Driod software so I am going to assume like everything, there will be a learning curve, coming from a Samsung Reality.

I have a few quick questions.

1. Apps that are strongly recommended? I use Facebook and do Yahoo Messenger and that is about it. (So I am definately looking to branch out!)

Here are a few links that may help:
http://www.droidforums.net/forum/motorola-droid/9779-master-google-android-40-tips-tricks.html

http://www.droidforums.net/forum/droid-general-discussions/26559-recommended-apps-widgets.html

http://www.droidforums.net/forum/dr...ps-why-i-have-them-recommend-better-ones.html

2. Down-falls or limitations with the phone?

3. Is Unlimited Data really a must-have? I already have the 150mb plan.

Thanks,
Heather!

Since I have a Droid I did not comment on #2. Check out the entire Fascinate section in the Forum you should find answers there.
Hope this is helpful.
Mike

Jamis0n

Reaction score
Welcome! I am umrooted ans have dealt with many of the draw backs without resulting to root. Feel free to ask on here or PM about any issues and I can help resolve them if you desire to keep at stock OS without root. If you do want to root, im not too much into it.

8pened!

OP
M

MissDixie256

Reaction score
I just started with the data package I already had in place. I can always go unlimited if I so choose, with no big deal. I just thought I would explore and see what I am going to need data wise, before I jumped to the most expensive plan.

I don't actually know what I 'want' to do. Since I plan weddings and parties having an in hand 'planner' is going to be a must have, so I can stop carrying around a book (that I forget most of the time anyways). I use Google Calendar and it will send a txt to my current phone, but I cannot edit dates and things from my current handset. I would like it to sync with my Droid software. I would also like to be able to use something other than Verizons e-mail application that is built into my phone.

My Verizon store strongly recommended a BlackBerry, but I really dislike them!

I basically just use an app called SocialBeat on my currend handset but find it lacking in the ability to really 'do' anything but read my facebook page. I also use Verizons built in Messaging services for Yahoo and MSN, as well as texting.

I look forward to browsing here! And am actually pretty excited about the amount of replies and discussions that take place on these forums. Everyone seems ready to help answer any question that gets posted!

Reaction score
Welcome MissDixie, I came from a BB Tour to the Fascinate...and I can tell you, aside from the email popping that the BB is awesome with, the Android is sooooooo much better.

Aside from the current lack of FROYO, and the apparent lack of care from Verizon or Samsung in regards to FROYO, this is one sweet phone. Some of my must have apps are: Launcher Pro, Fancy Widgets (or Beautiful Widgets), WeatherBug, Google Maps and PADroid (this is a password protected notepad). Also Angry Birds, NFL Mobile and Zedge Ringtones.

I have the unlimited plan and you can do an easy test...go to the market and download a free data tracker. I can tell you that I used more than 50mb of data just today downloading things and then uninstalling them if you don't like them. Unlimited might be overkill, but I'll never get that massive phone bill when I go over...and I would. Especially if I am out with my kids' sports and have to check baseball or football scores. :)

Hope this helps...

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum
The myVerizon app has a widget you van install that shows your data usage.

Support Our Troops!!
This post was Tapatalk approved.

Jamis0n

Reaction score
I just started with the data package I already had in place. I can always go unlimited if I so choose, with no big deal. I just thought I would explore and see what I am going to need data wise, before I jumped to the most expensive plan.

I don't actually know what I 'want' to do. Since I plan weddings and parties having an in hand 'planner' is going to be a must have, so I can stop carrying around a book (that I forget most of the time anyways). I use Google Calendar and it will send a txt to my current phone, but I cannot edit dates and things from my current handset. I would like it to sync with my Droid software. I would also like to be able to use something other than Verizons e-mail application that is built into my phone.

My Verizon store strongly recommended a BlackBerry, but I really dislike them!

I basically just use an app called SocialBeat on my currend handset but find it lacking in the ability to really 'do' anything but read my facebook page. I also use Verizons built in Messaging services for Yahoo and MSN, as well as texting.

I look forward to browsing here! And am actually pretty excited about the amount of replies and discussions that take place on these forums. Everyone seems ready to help answer any question that gets posted!

I would start out with the unlimited first to see your input data. I was at 1.5 gigabytes for my first month of usage.

8pened!

OP
M

MissDixie256

Reaction score
I have already switched to the Unlimited plan after reading the posts =)

Such a forum of knowledge. I am excited about being a member here!

eriscrazy

Reaction score
Yes I also would go with the unlimited plan. Because the droid phone are always updating something andi know that I go way over the 150mb data cap every month. Also I talked to a rep from the Verizon store and they said with the 15 dollar plan, if you go over the allotted 150mb it just charges you another 15 dollars and gives you 150 more mb. But it u use it alot like I do then that 15 could turn into 60 fast.

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums App

Jamis0n

Reaction score
And while I am asking questions I keep seeing the term 'rooted' what exactly does that mean?

Rooting is gaining access to the full capabilities of the android system. Wince its open sourced its not frowned upon by Google but it is by carriers and manufacturers. It can remove bloatware, makes the CPU run faster or slower for speed or better battery life, and get customized operating systems and the whole phone in general. You can rarely find two rooted phones with the same set up which is the high point of having a Droid. Some situations can be handled without root but a lot is needed.

Rooting does remove warrantee.

8pened!

ziggy484

Reaction score
You can get definitely set this phone up real nice without root. I rooted and unrooted twice now with a couple of close calls. Unrooted now. For what you say your looking for in a phone you can get with a stock setup and mostly free apps. I suggest launcher pro (way better than touchwiz), fancy widget, big button keyboard, google maps, and pandora... all free.

Sent from my stock 2.1 unrooted, fully bloated (for now) Fascinate

ziggy484

Reaction score
Also, fyi... you will hear alot about "verizon bloatware" and the need to get rid of it (which requires root). if you can accept that its there, it doesnt really hurt anything, and you might actually like some of it.

Sent from my stock 2.1 unrooted, fully bloated (for now) Fascinate

OP
M

MissDixie256

Reaction score
I have been browsing pretty much non-stop since Thursday and have isntalled and uninstalled more apps than I ever thought I would... I LOVE Googles Night Sky app!