New user, wifi question.

jennvettek

Reaction score
1. If you use wifi, does it still charge you for data minutes?
2. I see there is antivirus products out there, does this phone get viruses, and what should I use?
Thanks! jennifer

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
1. If you use wifi, does it still charge you for data minutes?
2. I see there is antivirus products out there, does this phone get viruses, and what should I use?
Thanks! jennifer

:welcome: to the Droid Forums.

When you use wifi you're using your own data on your network, so it is impossible for Verizon to charge you for that.

The vast majority of us feel that virus protection is basically nothing more then a resource hog. It will kill your battery faster and provide no protection for the D2.

BayouFlyFisher

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Welcome to the forums. Hope you enjoy it here.

I agree with the Hook. Connect via wifi = no minutes and virus protection is not needed. Virus protection apps cause issues (battery, lagging, etc.).

Have a good day!!

Sent from my Droid

OP
J

jennvettek

Reaction score
Thanks

Thank you both. I love this phone. Only big issue is facebook app is not working.

OP
J

jennvettek

Reaction score
Also

Is there a way to keep my yahoo email account, but not have every aol sent to my phone? Trying to conserve data, but would like to check it on my phone once in a while.

BayouFlyFisher

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Thank you both. I love this phone. Only big issue is facebook app is not working.

First thing to try is to (from the home screen) Menu/Settings/Applications/Manage Applications/All/Facebook App/Clear Data/Clear Cache. I'm not familiar with the Facebook app, but i would assume you will then have to re-enter your account info and give the app time to re-sync.

Good luck.

BayouFlyFisher

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Is there a way to keep my yahoo email account, but not have every aol sent to my phone? Trying to conserve data, but would like to check it on my phone once in a while.

Emails: I don't know what email app you use, but try this. It saves battery power and in some cases emails arrive quicker. This scheme will have you using only the Gmail app on the phone for all email accounts whether they are pop3 accounts or Gmail. Go to the Google Gmail inbox on your computer and log into the Gmail account. On the top right of the screen is an option called Settings. In there is an option to have the Gmail program poll your regular, non-Gmail accounts (Settings/Accounts & Import/Check mail using POP3). Provide the email address and the password. The Google Gmail program will then poll your other accounts on a frequency from 1-5 minutes and push the email immediately to your phone. The polling frequency is determined by each account's activity - more emails = faster polling. This saves battery power because on the android OS pop3 accounts are polled at a frequency of 1-30 minutes and that really eats battery. Because the phone goes and checks those accounts for mail whether there is mail there or not.

Good luck.:)

OP
J

jennvettek

Reaction score
Another question

I have always had phones that have notifications; you could choos a reminder for missed texts and calls. I can not find this option on my phone, does it have that?