New user rootimg questiom

Discussion in 'Droid X Hacks' started by stinger161, Oct 12, 2010.

1. stinger161

stinger161 Member

Ratings:
    +3
    Hello all! New user, I have a droid X a couple weeks now. Shortly after getting it did the OTA update to 2.3.15 then started reading all the awesome possibilities once rooted! Mainly I want to get rid of some of the bloatware be able to wi_fi tether and probably what brings a lot of people here: 928droid's Black Glass theme!!
    I've been reading many posts and links on the process and none of it seems too daunting, but what I haven't seen is "I rooted my DX running OTA 2.3.15 and this is what worked (link)" I guess what I'm asking is who rooted their DX OTA 2.3.15 and which way? Thanks and looking forward to being a long time member!

2. Daali

Daali Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I used this way up to step 24(anything after that is more involved, rooting stops at 24):
    http://www.droidforums.net/forum/droid-x-hacks/82584-droid-2-root-dx-ota-2-2-a.html

Abe21599 pointed out this one to a user today, and it looks easier since you can do it without USB(Step 2 option A):http://www.droidforums.net/forum/re...08-multiple-phones-root-them-unroot-them.html

3. Abe21599

Abe21599 Super Moderator
    Rescue Squad

Ratings:
    +31
    lol i like how u made my name green :)

but yea teh second one he linked to is what I used to root OTA 2.2 and it can be done on any OS. just need to get 3 files on ur DX.

if you have any questions, just ask

also, :welcome:

4. stinger161

stinger161 Member

Ratings:
    +3
    Thanks guys, you are awesome! I've read through those previously. Just needed a shove in the right direction. Like I said I do read things just a clarification on what to use was all. And I know my way around a computer as well, not as much as programming but I know command prompt .zip, etc. :) I'll give this a go when I have time later or tomorrow. Hopefully my next post isn't "Help with my brick!" LOL!

5. christim

christim Super Moderator
    Rescue Squad

Ratings:
    +2
    Its always good to ask and be sure. And if you do make a "bricked my phone" thread, we'll be here! ;)

6. stinger161

stinger161 Member

Ratings:
    +3
    Thanks guys, you are awesome! I've read through those previously. Just needed a shove in the right direction. Like I said I do read things just a clarification on what to use was all. And I know my way around a computer as well, not as much as programming but I know command prompt .zip, etc. :) I'll give this a go when I have time later or tomorrow. Hopefully my next post isn't "Help with my brick!" LOL!

7. Abe21599

Abe21599 Super Moderator
    Rescue Squad

Ratings:
    +31
    definitely just spend the time to read. itll make it a smoother process :)

8. stinger161

stinger161 Member

Ratings:
    +3
    Woo hoo!! Success! Used Step 2 option A. Worked like a charm! 1st try I didn't have the # at step 6. So I rebooted and tried again. Had it, finished, rebooted, and was treated to the little ninja under my apps. You guys rock! Next thing I know is to backup. So my last bit of guidance to ask about to make sure I'm reading everything right would be to get Droid X Bootstrap recovery app, backup, and for further peace of mind even save the file on my pc correct?

9. Abe21599

Abe21599 Super Moderator
    Rescue Squad

Ratings:
    +31
    yup that sounds about right.