New Update Really Messed Up My Phone - Can I Go Back To Old Version?

travelintf

Reaction score
I am having an awful experience with my Droid 4 after upgrading. Besides the fact that cosmetically I hate how the screens changed, and the fact that it changed all my associated sounds,I can no longer swipe or use the touch screen. I have missed so many calls. In some cases the keyboard gets locked. Oh and it also reboots itself here and there.

Does anyone know if there is there any way to go back to what I had before?? Not a fan of the new software upgrade at all.

Thanks,
Tracy

jsnweitzel

Developer
Developer
Reaction score
You can't go back. If you are having trouble a data wipe may fix it. For swype you have to select it instead of the moto one.

Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk 2

debdroid1a

Reaction score
I was using ADW Launcher home screen and it didn't change a thing. Loved that. I knew the ICS screen was a bit different, but didn't know it would be that much. Maybe try a home replacement screen? A few were mentioned in this discussion: [h=3]am i the only one who cant figure this out?!?[/h]

I found with ADW I can have 5 rows of icons going down, I choose only 4 and this way I have a completely free bottom to swipe across my screen. No problems since ICS was updated.

You said it reboots itself, have you tried to power it off yourself? Maybe leave it off for a bit.
I also let my battery go down to about 40% then charged it fully over night (someone else said fully charging and leaving alone all night helped with the ICS update).

Not sure about the sounds as I have to keep it silent at work (have it set on Silent Time so if I have an emergency from a relative it will come through). I don't think they've changed though.

XNAVYGAL

Reaction score
I'm having problems with mine too...it sucks! It's so slow now and always freezing and closing...

Sent from my DROID4 using Droid Forums

tcrews

Premium Member
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
Website
android.snkbitten.com
Factory Data Reset, wipe everything. I'm amazed people are still afraid or too bothered to do this. The device updated the OS in place from a 2.3.x version to a 4.0.x version and everyone hopes it maintains their apps, settings, configurations and what not and still run great.

Since the update to ICS my phone runs faster, smoother, cooler and longer as battery life is much improved. Of course I did a Factory Data Reset right after the upgrade, reconfigured my phone and have been enjoying the benefits of the upgrade ever since.

System Settings, Privacy, Factory Data Reset. If you've done it before and still have issues.......do it again but this time check "Erase Internal Storage" as well (make sure you've backed up your picture and such). There are folders on the internal SDcard created by the Android OS that may have information/configuration data that the phone is reading before you've reconfigured it....

OP
T

travelintf

Reaction score
Thanks for the responses

Things went from bad to worse in that the touchscreen wouldn't work anymore even after we did a restore. Basically, because the touch screen didn't work, I couldn't unlock and use the phone anymore. Verizon had to send me a new phone based on manufacturers defect. Thanks for your suggestions but unfortunately I am at the mercy of ICS. I was happy to hear some of you are having improved service. Thanks again.

Inexplicable

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Sony Xperia Z3v
Twitter
@Inexplicable_1
Man I've had nothing but trouble since the software push. Answering calls isn't intuitive, sometimes after a call I have to hit the power button to bring the screen back to end it, I can't find certain menu items I was used to like the Data Manager, etc. Crazy. And it's amazing how many things you have to swipe, click and do before making a simple phone call...

XNAVYGAL

Reaction score
I'm still having such bad luck...this is my 3rd Droid4. They've had to send me two in less than two months.

outsid0r

Reaction score
I'm still having such bad luck...this is my 3rd Droid4. They've had to send me two in less than two months.
little known VZW fact, if they send u 3 replacement devices they will let you upgrade to a new device as if your contract was up for renewal.

XNAVYGAL

Reaction score
I'm almost there...that would be nice but who knows what phone I should try next. I have had no luck on the first Droid, Droid 2 and now Droid 4. It's looking like I need to finally say goodbye to the keyboard. That's what's been keeping me with these ones...thanks!

ovelayer

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
little known VZW fact, if they send u 3 replacement devices they will let you upgrade to a new device as if your contract was up for renewal.

wouldnt that effect your unlimited data if your on it..
your accepting an upgrade..

outsid0r

Reaction score
wouldnt that effect your unlimited data if your on it..
your accepting an upgrade..
thats a great question, when i had this happen with my tbolt they let me keep my unlimited data plan, always worth a shot to try and work with them and see what happens