New update has caused phone to stop charging and heat up...

dancegirl94

Reaction score
I have a DROID pro, and it was working perfectly until I installed the update. It now refuses to charge past 20% and heats up to ridiculous temperatures when I attempt to charge it. Any suggestions?

Sent from my DROID PRO using DroidForums

heyyclifford

Reaction score
I have a DROID pro, and it was working perfectly until I installed the update. It now refuses to charge past 20% and heats up to ridiculous temperatures when I attempt to charge it. Any suggestions?

im not to sure if its the update but ive read many saying their droid pro's have been heating up. But as for me my charging is much better then b4. Along with the battery life. Very much improved.

Sent from my DROID PRO

OP
D

dancegirl94

Reaction score
Maybe it's just my phone then, but after two hours it has only progressed to 30% and is scalding hot to touch. I have no idea what to do!

StingRay

Reaction score
First thing I would try is a battery pull...that seems to correct many issues on it's own and is pretty simple...sometimes multiple battery pulls are needed...

If you've already done that or try it and find no change, you may want to think about doing a factory reset....will erase all of your personal data, apps, accounts, etc. (not on your sd card though)....signing back into Google will automatically start replacing your apps, then you have to sign back into all accounts....settings>privacy>Factory Data Reset....

anything beyond that is a little more complicated...give those a shot and see what kind of results you have...good luck...

tennvol

Reaction score
My phone has always heated up, especially in my pocket. Im not sure if its because I have the VZW shell installed or because im running setcpu. My battery however has always fully charged but discharges quickly. I only get maybe 7 hours or so on a extended battery, despite longer battery claims by others here and yes I've tried all the battery saving shortcuts.

Usually ill pull the battery and wait a few minutes for the phone to cool off. Seems to fix the problem for a day or two

zenivzen

Reaction score
well i just got the update yesterday and right off the bat noticed the phone got hot and stayed hot like never before in the month i've owned the phone. that was all fine for me i guess. but the curious thing happened last night, i charged my new extended battery and once it got full i kept charging for another half hour since i'm running battery left pro. when i awoke five hours later my phone was dead because the battery drained to nil. can anyone think of a fix to try so this oddity stops?

OP
D

dancegirl94

Reaction score
Maybe it is the update then because same exact problems. I'll let you know if I come up with a solution.

rocket_girl

Reaction score
Maybe it is the update then because same exact problems. I'll let you know if I come up with a solution.

Wow- I have had same problems -worst on the day I updated. I just got Mugen 3400 monster battery, and thought it was the battery causing trouble. Did the 12-hr charge night before update. After update, monster battery was down to nil before I left work & phone was warmer than usual, though not hot.

Continuing the long charges with new battery--as recommended by manufacturer, and calibrating Battery Left Pro for extended battery. No longer running hot, but battery is still draining a bit more quickly than I would expect for such a huge battery. Hoping things shake out after initializing is complete...but relieved to know that it may NOT be the new battery per se, but the update that is funky.

knt7814

Reaction score
Maybe it's just my phone then, but after two hours it has only progressed to 30% and is scalding hot to touch. I have no idea what to do!

This is happening to me also. But I also just bought a new charger the same time as the update- so I am wondering if this new charger has anything to do with it.

Are you guys using the charger that came with your phone, or are you using a charger you bought separately?

(I'm thinking maybe the problem is the update and these "new" chargers.)

rocket_girl

Reaction score

This is happening to me also. But I also just bought a new charger the same time as the update- so I am wondering if this new charger has anything to do with it.

Are you guys using the charger that came with your phone, or are you using a charger you bought separately?

(I'm thinking maybe the problem is the update and these "new" chargers.)

Had this problem last night for first time. Charging Motorola extended battery in phone (have done this many times problem-free). Phone got very ery hot and battery would not charge. Showed 'charging', but lelev remained unchanged overnight.

Have one of the new(er) USB chargers - hadn't considered this as a factor before. Put battery in Motorola battery-only charger. Waiting to see if battery charges that way.

Any further tips/ insight would be great!