New Unlimited Plan from Big Red?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TinGodz

Reaction score
@hookbill: Sorry Bill, I didn't want to read through 80 pages. However, .......
He did inform me that this is only valid for a year. Once the year expires, I will have to choose from whatever plans are available. I saw a bunch of confusion about this in the middle of the thread, so thought I'd throw this out there for clarification.
or add to the confusion. I thought "valid for a year" was the case as well, and mentioned it a while back. Got shot down. My rep seemed to indicate the same thing. She was wrong. Verizon doesn't do that unless they clearly indicate the the discount is valid only for a certain period of time, like they have now for the Smartphone plan where you can add a line with a smartphone and only pay for the data and not the extra line ($9.99) (Smartphones Talk Free). In that promo, they clearly indicate that after two years, the $9.99 discount goes away. Not so in this deal, not so. The email/flyer has been pasted clearly in this thread and nowhere does it say that the discount goes away after a year or after any amount of time.
The "year" part is that the deal extends your contract for a year. And maybe the plan won't be available after a year. But it is not likely that they will take the plan away from those who already have it.

I understand where you're coming from. Perhaps the guidelines have changed on this deal. Or maybe this flyer wasn't the finalized flyer and was released before the final flyer was distributed. Obviously I hope what you're saying is true because it works to my advantage, but the rep clearly told me this deal expires after a year and said I'd have to choose from whatever options were available.

Doesn't this deal (or whatever plan you're using) expire once your contract expires anyway? I assume they don't have to honor the same contract after it expires because there is no more contract. They could honor the same contract if they wanted to, but there is nothing legally binding that can make them, right? So for example, if after your contract expires and your original plan is no longer available, aren't you forced to choose from whatever options they have or take your money elsewhere? That makes sense to me and I think I've actually encountered that situation already (one of the troubles I mentioned earlier).

My original family plan was one of the "Select" plans if anyone recalls those. That plan was replaced with what is now the "unlimited talk/text" plan. I wanted to add another line and to do that I had to change my existing plan (which had been grandfathered in due to the contract) to their new plan. So even if this does not expire in a year, I can definitely see it expiring once your contract is up at least.

Either way, it's all good. I was fortunate enough to receive the promo and very happy that Verizon worked with me. It definitely helps to reestablish a good name for them in my eyes.

Reaction score
I don't know whether or not this plan expires in a year or not but I do know that the rep that I talked when I switched to it specificly said that it is good as long as I have this plan becuase I asked him point blank. So who knows as we seem to be getting conflicting answers from Verizon.

nothing0

Reaction score
Promo code goes through 2038 but I think that has been mentioned a few times.

Dizzle51

Reaction score
Got this deal yesterday.

BUT I had to tell them a friend gave me the code and the sales rep at cosco where I got the phone at, told me I could probably get the deal if I called the number on the flyer.

Lenagainster

Reaction score
Doesn't this deal (or whatever plan you're using) expire once your contract expires anyway? .....
It has been the norm with Verizon that they don't change customers' contracts by brute force (unless you are in an area where the service is being sold off or purchased). There are some folks who are still under some very old plans, simply because they didn't change anything. It is the customer that initiates a change that forces them into a different plan. Perhaps the plan they are on is no longer offered, so when they want to upgrade their phone, they must select a plan that is currently available. They want a certain phone and it is only available on certain plans. I forget what they called the plans before America's Choice, but they had America's Choice I and America's Choice II. In one of those steps, they did away with roaming in the US. Some folks didn't want to upgrade, because in certain areas, where there used to be roaming coverage, there was NO coverage under the newer plan. VZW did not force them to change. The NationWide plans came out and the major difference was that data was charged per MB under the NW plan, while under the AC plans, data was charged to the minutes. Many folks who had lots of minutes to spare didn't want to change to the NW plans and have to start paying for data. VZW didn't force them out of those plans, they just required that new phones be on the NW plan. Keep your old phone, no changes required.
I suspect that VZW will handle this Unlimited Texting and Unlimited Data w/ $20 data discount plan in much the same way. The will leave it alone, perhaps stop offering it to new customers, and existing customers on this plan can keep it as long as they don't make any changes, like upgrading phones, switching to LTE, or whatever. Perhaps when LTE is the dominant data plan, the package we got will be available for anyone, or the price may drop through the floor as everyone switches to the higher speeds.

the3dolla

Reaction score
I called halfway through my billing cycle.

So, I got my bill and it's almost what I expected. My 3 smartphones lines showed the regular $29.99 charge and then the $20 credit. (so, $100 savings) However, until my next bill date which was the 21st I continued to pay the regular $30 data cost. I didn't get a "pro rated" data credit.

However, for my dumb phones turned smart phones lines. I was prorated for 14 days, so about $14 for both phones for the 14 days from when I changed to my new bill. Then was charged in advance for the $29.99 and then the $20 credit.

Thus no "pro rated" discount for the first 15 days. I called 611 and she was just confused the entire call saying no partial discount for the 15 days. Probably mad she had to work Thanksgiving really.

My normal bill with 3 smart phones was around $245. If I calculated it correctly, I'll pay $210/mo from now on, so a $35 savings and our 4th/5th line get smart phones.

Also, I did get my 15% federal/gov discount on my main line of $110 as well.

the3dolla

Reaction score
soo..

They waived the prorated non-discounted data? Maybe I'll try to email them next Monday after the Holidays.

Truthfully, then the already smart phone lines should get a "pro rated" discount for the first half of my bill.. Guess since I wasn't really on the list and I got it anyways I should be happy to save $35/mo eh?

ShaneA

Reaction score
the unlimited data is sweet. ive been using EcoZi - Battery Saving Search - for awhile now to save data and battery life for awhile now and its amazing at what a massive difference it makes. but this is sweet, ill just use it to save battery now

The "black screens use less battery" theory only works if you have an AMOLED screen though.

or LED backlit LCD... check out the real black google mobile at bGoog.com/about for the science behind it!

tracylfarr

Reaction score
I have asked about this deal twice and they both told me I could not get this deal since my name was not on the list. Bull! I think it is not fair to offer some customers a better deal. Do I not get the offer cuz Verizon loves taking $300 from me every month. That is a car payment!!! Geez lol.

From Tracy, sent from my Droid X

mas90guru

Reaction score
You're not alone - I called three times and I've given up even pretending I've gotten an email and just started asking if they'd switch me.

All three times I received a consistent reply that this is a limited test and only valid to those who received an email.

Personally I think the deal has gotten too much publicity and Verizon has clamped down with some internal notices not to switch people.

Another forum suggested that a rep indicated this could be nationwide as soon as next week though I usually discount anything the phone reps say as they usually have no better info than your or I (except when it comes to looking at their computer screen to view the available plans)

wahhutch9

Reaction score
Hey everyone… longtime lurker. I posted this question as a new topic.. and then came across this thread. So I figured I'd post it here as well:

My contract with Verizon was up in October and I’m due for an upgrade. I currently have a Blackberry and looking to make the switch to the Incredible. My wife has an old ENV2 and is looking to upgrade to a Droid 2.

If I get these through VZW direct, I’m looking at about $119.99 after rebate and my $30 NE2 for both phones. If I go through a 3rd party (Amazon, Best Buy, Walmart, Wirefly) I’d be looking at a cost of around $0-$10.

I’m still undecided on how I feel about dealing with the 3rd party retailers as opposed to VZW direct. I read a lot of conflicting stories both good and bad.

At the same time, I’m also interested in the $139.99 plan that Verizon is offering right now for 1,400 minutes, unlimited text, and unlimited data. I didn’t receive the promotion email direct, but have read of the many success stories of those that have called and were switched to this plan. And I figured I had a good shot of getting this plan since my contract is up and I’d be adding a new smartphone to the account.

Is there any way to get the $139.99 plan and go through a 3rd party? Is that even possible? I’d hate to get hit with a penalty from a 3rd party dealer.

I wasn’t sure if I could call VZW and have them switch me to the $139.99 plan and then upgrade the phones through a 3rd party after my plan is changed. Would I still be able to keep that $139.99 plan?

Also… take Wirefly for instance, keeping my “existing plan” isn’t an option for me on their website. But I see that Amazon has this option. But it then makes me add a data plan for $29.99. Would the discount for the $139.99 plan still be in effect?

Thanks in advance for your help.

ch0sen0ne

Reaction score
I tried and the rep told me it was a fake promotion sent out by some blogging website :rofl2:

Lenagainster

Reaction score
....My contract with Verizon was up in October and I’m due for an upgrade. I currently have a Blackberry and looking to make the switch to the Incredible. My wife has an old ENV2 and is looking to upgrade to a Droid 2.

....At the same time, I’m also interested in the $139.99 plan that Verizon is offering right now for 1,400 minutes, unlimited text, and unlimited data. I didn’t receive the promotion email direct,....

There are no guarantees. You could get the phones from third parties first, put them on your account, they try to get the $139.99 deal. You could be denied.

If you and the wife could agree on the same phone, both the Incredible and the Droid 2 are on BOGO (don't think you can mix). On top of that, you may have a NE2 bonus.

I would think your strongest argument to get on that elusive $139.99 plan would be to call up and state that you would like to renew with VZW, but only if you can get your smartphones on a BOGO with the accompanying $139.99 plan. That's what I did; got two new Droid 2s for a net $50 after rebates and NE2, and got the plan. Make sure that they know that you know that your contract is up and you can easily go elsewhere.

wahhutch9

Reaction score
....My contract with Verizon was up in October and I’m due for an upgrade. I currently have a Blackberry and looking to make the switch to the Incredible. My wife has an old ENV2 and is looking to upgrade to a Droid 2.

....At the same time, I’m also interested in the $139.99 plan that Verizon is offering right now for 1,400 minutes, unlimited text, and unlimited data. I didn’t receive the promotion email direct,....

There are no guarantees. You could get the phones from third parties first, put them on your account, they try to get the $139.99 deal. You could be denied.

If you and the wife could agree on the same phone, both the Incredible and the Droid 2 are on BOGO (don't think you can mix). On top of that, you may have a NE2 bonus.

I would think your strongest argument to get on that elusive $139.99 plan would be to call up and state that you would like to renew with VZW, but only if you can get your smartphones on a BOGO with the accompanying $139.99 plan. That's what I did; got two new Droid 2s for a net $50 after rebates and NE2, and got the plan. Make sure that they know that you know that your contract is up and you can easily go elsewhere.

Thanks. That's kind of what I'm thinking. At least in store, I believe the Incredible is buy one get any free.

I think I'm set on the Incredible... my wife has been back and forth with the Fascinate and Droid 2. She likes the 2 simply for the keyboard.

Status
Not open for further replies.